View Diary: DKos Tour Series: Meteor Crater Landmark (Winslow, AZ) (135 comments)

•  Worth a visit (1+ / 0-)
    elfling

I'm old enough to remember the old La Posada before Fred Harvey shut it down and the Santa Fe RR turned it into its division offices. Them really was the days...with a slower pace and gracious atmosphere. If you want info, take a look at their website

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

by GEldridge on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 11:22:23 PM PDT

•  thank you so much. . . (2+ / 0-)
      Azazello, elfling

for posting your comments, GEldridge, and for the website you provided. I just answered your comments, but somehow my remarks vanished. I get confused with hitting this or that icon, at times. Anyway, something tells me you would be a fascinating person to interview give your experience and points taken (in your commentary). I know Mary E. Coulter, as Harvey's prized designer (though she feigned the architect's role, which she was not credentialed in such a bailiwick) did some of her best work not only at the Grand Canyon (the Watch Tower or Hopi House, for example), but also here at the La Posada. A truly wonderful establishment that has been brought back to life by new ownership for the past twenty or so years. And a great restaurant to boot. Upscale, mind you, but still worthy of eating and highly recommended for a nostalgic night's stay. Reminds me, in a slight way, of Gallup's "El Rancho," where the Hollywood movie stars stayed, when filming in that locale (Gallup).

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 06:46:27 AM PDT

•  Still wonderin' (1+ / 0-)
        elfling

Hey, I'm totally hooked by anyone who calls me "a fascinating person to interview." My family got to Arizona in the 1870s from Arkansas by wagon train ending up in Apache County (Nutrioso, Springerville and St Johns) where they had extensive cattle holdings. I've still got a lot of memorabilia and memories, so if you want to get in touch let me know.

However, I'm sorry to have lost your Winslow crime blotter info. I shared your post with friends still living in Winslow and am dying to hear what they have to say about their "nefarious" goings on.

Thanks for your postings which are shedding much-needed light on an area which is of almost unbelievable natural interest as well as being an unforgettable visual treat (and, by the way, with a very colorful history), but is not well known by the US public at large. This was very much the "wild west." My great uncle, Jess Fears, broke horses for the Hashknife Outfit back in the 19-teens and went on to be forest ranger in Tonto Basin and Payson. He had many a hair-raising tale to tell about gunfights and outlaws. And my Uncle Will Rudd was one of the first doctor/lawyer/lawman in the area. It was a wild time.

I'm still going thru the stuff my family accumulated over the years and came across a small publication you may be interested in called "Two Guns Arizona" which details the railroad's challenges in bridging Canyon Diablo (mentioned in above comments). It was published in 1968 by The Press of the Territorian (Santa Fe NM) and is about 30 pages. If it's out of print and you're interested, let me know.

Otherwise, keep up the good work in giving much-needed visibility to a fascinating and important area.

by GEldridge on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:27:15 AM PDT

•  there. . .I told you so. . . (1+ / 0-)
          elfling

your are a most interesting person and I think your next diary about your tales should be posted as a diary...not just commentary. I love the start of what you just submitted. I am going to email you my desire for this, just so you know this is real. I mean, my urging you to share what you know. I love "living history," that is, from those who still tell it while on this side of the grass. Thank you for the follow up. You'll be hearing from me soon and I suspect we may even hear from you soon, as a diary. I think the group, one of them, that I belong to, the History for Kossocks, is going to be receptive to your musings, GEldridge.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:49:46 AM PDT

•  I look forward to your collaboration (0+ / 0-)

sounds really cool!

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21:18 AM PDT

•  collaboration. . . (0+ / 0-)

yes, and I believe our Dkos friend and commentator, GEldridge, is going to write a diary on his hometown. And I decided I may be able to come up with a new diary some day soon, entitled "The History Of The Petrified Forest Corridor," which will run the gambit, say, from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, and of course, towns, like Winslow and Holbrook, will get featured. Remind me of this, if you don't mind, because I sometimes have too much on the burners of my brain; these myriad diaries I still want to post.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 01:12:32 PM PDT

•  Weirdly (0+ / 0-)

we also have a petrified forest just north of Santa Rosa. The conditions are so different there.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 02:25:20 PM PDT

• Recommended (137)
  • Community (62)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Environment (39)
  • Elections (38)
  • Culture (36)
  • Bernie Sanders (36)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Hillary Clinton (27)
  • Education (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Media (22)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Affordable Care Act (19)
  • Spam (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site