View Diary: DKos Tour Series: Valley Of The Gods & Valley Of Fire (42 comments)

•  I love both places, although I haven't been in (5+ / 0-)

awhile, especially to Fire.  Valley of the Gods is on the PHX to DEN route of choice--as is Monument Valley--& while I've yet to budget the time to, y'know, stop the car & get out & walk around in it, that section of Utah is just phenomenal to see.

The Valley of Fire is, like the North Rim, also part of childhood trips north.  Whenever the family went to Las Vegas to see friends, we went to Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire, or both, depending on the time of year.  I will confess to taking, as a child, one souvenir rock from the Valley; it eerily resembles, with its sandstone striations, a pack of hotdogs.

Thanks for yet another diary.  I'm glad the Plateau is large enough to keep you writing for many more weekends :-)

It's time to start letting sleeping dinosaurs lie, lest we join them in extinction by our consumption of them.

by Leftcandid on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 10:30:16 AM PDT

•  more diaries to come. . . (7+ / 0-)

if the community deems them worth the reading and waiting for. Meanwhile, yes, occasionally I do step off the Plateau and write-up other places. I used to live in Blue Diamond, NV, just down from Red Rock Park (and that's a place you also want to keep in mind for visiting . . .very colorful rock formations, including the world famous Keystone Overthrust (and likely the best example of an overthrust if memory serves). Anyway, I may one day do some diary presentations on the likes of Yosemite, King's Canyon, then head east and do Yellowstone (I wrote a soundtrack for its turf, as I did one on the Grand Canyon), which I am very familiar with its features. The Wind River Range is another favorite of mine, same with Glacier. So, yes, Leftcandid, I enjoy other places, too, and not just the Colorado Plateau's turf. it's just that I spent more time living and working here and getting paid to play and teach. Ergo, the top-heavy diaries on same. Thanks, as always, for posting a comment and for your support.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 11:02:49 AM PDT

•  Love Your Diaries (3+ / 0-)
        cotterperson, RiveroftheWest, dewtx

It's hard to not browse through the entirety of your 'guided tour' diaries.

About Glacier NP, I've been there several times since 2002, staying at a couple of the simpler facilities on the east side, such as Swiftcurrent and Rising Sun. There are sound reasons why this area is called the "Crown of the Continent," one being its location, and another the amazing 'display' of many impressive mountain tops visible from fixed locations. Many 360 deg. views that are all snow-touched mountains! And those mountains are truly "rocky!"

I've quite a collection of pics from the park, it's hard to find a favorite. One noteworthy geological feature is Triple Divide Peak, where water flows down this peak through creeks and streams to three oceans: The Pacific, via the Columbia River, the Atlantic, via the Missouri and then Mississippi rivers, to the Gulf of Mexico, and the Arctic, via the St. Mary River and then the Saskatchewan River, that flows into Hudson Bay (Arctic Ocean).

Plus, Glacier NP has about about 500 ursa horribilus (Grizzlies) in residence. Ironically, they have far less bear/human incidents in Glacier NP, either grizzly or black bears, than in Yellowstone (black bears only), mainly because feeding the bears in Yellowstone was once tacitly encouraged until biologists assessed the results of that habituation.

Thanks again, Rich!

You meet them halfway with love, peace and persuasion, and expect them to rise for the occasion ~ Van Morrison

by paz3 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 12:11:42 PM PDT

•  very nice take. . . (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, dewtx

your comments, paz3. I, too, love GNP, but I have to admit I am, as a backpacker, quite nervous messing about with these big fellies. Never felt threatened, mind you, but out of respect I keep my distance and talk rather loudly, even to myself, when hiking. If you have ever been to Kodiac and watched the big bears try their paws at salmon fishing, I can tell you it is quite a sight to see. With an armed guard nearby you can get within 1/4 mile of the falls and see one of the greatest shows on earths. Very few incidents of bear maulings, too, mainly because the NPS runs a tight ship up there. I hear Yellowstone has much improved over the years, given its bear-human contact policy (i.e., no contact). Funny thing, too, is I've been to Glacier a number of times and never realized what you just wrote and informed the rest of us: the special significance of Triple Divide Peak. Thanks for mentioning this and thank you for posting such an informative comment. Hope you'll do a diary on Glacier one of these days; my own may be weeks from showing up (many other places still in the queue to post).

by richholtzin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 12:47:22 PM PDT

•  Dinner Bells! (2+ / 0-)
            dewtx, RiveroftheWest

richholtzin and all, the NPS Rangers at Glacier are fond of relating the fact that there's never been a grizzly attack on a group of four or more hikers in that park. And they encourage all who are hiking to carry the bear-sized pepper spray canisters, and, as you note, make lots of noise on the trail.

A little sardonic humor: most of those who are informed about bears vs. humans in Glacier NP mock the little bells that some hikers think will relieve them of having to talk loudly, "bark,"  or sing on the trail. They call them bear or grizzly dinner bells. (Lots of black bears in Glacier too!)

I'll have to give the notion of a diary about Glacier NP some thought, I haven't through the entire park, (the northwest corner is much less accessible), but my wife and I have traveled the "Going To The Sun" road that transects the Park many times, and stopped at the highlights along the way, and we have hiked some in the Swiftcurrent area (east side, adjacent to the Blackfeet Res), and so we have some experiences that could be related.

by paz3 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:31:29 AM PDT

•  maybe you can write a diary. . . (1+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest

and share the Glacier experience with the rest of us, do you think? I love that area, and loved driving the neatly named "Going to the Sun Highway" (which heads toward, Logan, if memory serves). I only had that one bear encounter and my buddy who said I was nuts and it was a damn cow that walked over my bag also left gigantic prints and those prints had equally gigantic claws. I never saw a cow with such and he quit ribbing me about it. So, yes, never an attack in that park, but I remember the bears coming into town, which I think is Waterloo or something, there with that gorgeous Prince what's-his-name hotel sits so prominently in that locale, and those funky bus-coach old thingys. Anyway, you could hear the bears raising holy hell with the trash cans part of the night. Not sure if sort of thing goes on now, but it sure did in the 70s. Anyway, thanks for posting your comment, again, paz3, and do, please, consider writing a diary, because it seems this community is, well, hot to trot on travel logs and such. I think that's why I'll keep my DKos tour series active, that is, until someone out there tells me to go take a long hike off a short pier. Or something.

by richholtzin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 01:43:12 PM PDT