View Diary: Happee Caturdai Pootie Diary (124 comments)

•  I really had no idea... (20+ / 0-)

about siamese cats!  A tech at the vet's office was pretty certain that he was not a mix but pureblood.  When he was little, he had faint stripes in his tail, but apparently that is normal for the breed.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 11:57:53 AM PDT

•  I don't understand people throwing away animals (18+ / 0-)

Animals are a life long commitment.  Thanks for opening your home & heart to your pooties especially the rescues.

It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision. ~ Helen Keller

by Pam from Calif on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 12:06:16 PM PDT

•  I searched in the general area... (19+ / 0-)

where the mother said they lived (by the church)... was warned by the vet's office to not advertise that I had a siamese kitten, but to look for lost cat signs. So I did call up neighborhood vet offices and asked if they had any new siamese kitten clients, and also scoped out neighborhood bulletin boards for lost cat signs.  Didn't find anything.

I couldn't imagine having any animal get out (when it should be inside) and not look for it!!!

as for the girl's family that found him, I'm sure they didn't realize the jewel they had... otherwise they'd probably have tried to sell him instead of dumping him in the park.

by kishik on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 12:25:24 PM PDT

•  2 weeks ago I woke up to the most (18+ / 0-)

appallingly sick, skinny cat I've ever seen.  I had to leave for church but brought food home, hoping for a miracle.  It wasn't just hunger, she was really, really ill.  We have no animal shelters, animal control is the local constable who live traps and hauls off whatever you want to have removed.  I tried to borrow a carrier so I could get her to the vet, finally put a towel in a laundry basket and loaded her into the car.  She was too weak to fight, and mostly so sweet she wouldn't have fought.

This was a cat who must have been cared for once, must have been loved.  I scritched her while we waited at the vet's office and she tried to purr.  We had to put her down.  I'm still sad.  Her life in the wild must have been horrifying, I try not to think about it.

I went home and cuddled my birds (after a serious shower).  I'm hoping this was not a pet dump-off, afraid it was.

by I love OCD on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 02:26:23 PM PDT

•  with Mushu... (18+ / 0-)

I won't ever know if he was left behind (he showed up during the worst of the foreclosures around the area) or lost or dumped.  I had no idea if he'd been neutered or not (the vet later told me the difference!) since I'd never had a not neutered cat before.  So didn't know what type of stray he was other than a very friendly stray.

He first showed up on my back door stoop begging for food in the winter of 2009, and then showed back up very skinny during the fall of 2010. I took him in when I realized all the signs that he'd once been loved and in a home and he had a dream disposition.  I thought to find him a home, but he wound up staying... and it was a decision I never regretted.  When I brought him in to the vet's the first time, they initially handled him carefully, knowing he was taken off the streets and not knowing his background.  Needless to say, by the end of the visit, they were all exclaiming what a friendly cat he was (he head buts every person he meets).

I'm so glad the little one you took in didn't die on the streets, alone.  She, like Mushu, knew to look for a human who would take care of her.

by kishik on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 02:46:38 PM PDT

•  your crew (7+ / 0-)

thank you for telling the story of these kittens that I enjoy seeing and reading about. It is quite a story and I am glad to know the backgrounds of some of the most unusual kitties I have seen. You are lucky to have such a wonderful bunch of pooties!

•  Thanks! (4+ / 0-)

I feel quite lucky to be the guardian of my pack! They always make me smile, even with the mischief they sometimes get into. :-)

by kishik on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:55:15 PM PDT

•  Who is the wonderful black guy? (2+ / 0-)
                  kishik, triciawyse

He (guy is generic for cat here) looks like a wonderful friend.

•  :) (2+ / 0-)
                    triciawyse, Creosote

He's the first, so he's Pootie #1 of course!  :)

The first family cat died quite some time ago, but even in comparison to the present pooties, he was a very special cat.  At the time as similar to many pooties around the area, he was indoor/outdoor.  Was beautifully trained to come when you whistled for him, stayed off furniture.  Stayed out of my parents room (my mother, quite honestly, did not like any animal in the house).  My dad taught him all sorts of dog tricks since my mother wouldn't allow him to bring in a dog!  LOL  He was a cat extraordinaire!

So decades later, and it was soon after my mom died, I decided to look for another cat.  Went to a rescue org and looked at kittens, and unlike his cagemates, this one came running straight to the front of the cage.  He just seemed to pop up out of nowhere from the shadows of the cage!

he was a teeny thing when he first came home...

He grew up to be a beauty for sure... and in memory of my dad, to show it could be done, I taught him to shake paws, lay down and beg.  ;-)

He was tested for the usual diseases and came up positive for FIV.  I was so devastated.  And I'm pretty certain that soon after (because the vet who I brought him to actually was also a vet who worked with this particular rescue on a regular basis) that the rescue org changed their practices with testing.  The vet was pretty wonderful about explaining the disease, and we've worked at keeping him healthy with a combination of holistic and with traditional meds. he will be 8 years old this year.

So he was an only pootie for four years before I decided to bring home another.  That's the Princess.

The Princess was picked up by a different cat rescue that usually picked up ferals that were used to humans so they could be used as barn cats.  The Princess was found in a feral colony and they finally caught her.  It was soon clear that she was not feral, but was once someone's pet and had found her way to the colony (which was fed regularly).  She also tested positive for FIV, so had been in foster for a year.  Even though there were several inquiries on her (well, she is a gorgeous pootie!), I was approved as her new mom since I had experience with FIV+ cats and had a vet willing to work with an FIV+ cat.  What had attracted me to her (had been scoping through Petfinder) was her similar markings to the family cat.

After some exchanges to see if her personality would mesh with the spoiled Pootie #1, she was brought home.  Sweet girl.  You'd never know she was the same pootie that arrived that day as she demands her cuddles and snuggles, and has learned to be bold and sassy.  ;-)

She has a great disposition and has that really low key energy and, like Mushu, gets along very well with all pooties.

by kishik on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:35:48 AM PDT

•  Ah, Kitten One is so handsome. (1+ / 0-)
                      kishik

What subtle almost invisible markings, and what gray cells!

Thank you for the brief geneology, and all the gorgeious photos.

And one of these times it would be good to hear more from you about the special handling you do for FIV+ cats - and how they manage to have that condition. Your cats seem to be doing very well indeed!

•  So sad... (14+ / 0-)

You never know, though. The kitty could have run out a door or something (I'm always trying to look on the bright side), and then been on her own for a long time.

So good of you to do what you could for her. She was cared for at the last, and she knew it.

•  Bless you (4+ / 0-)
            winglion, kishik, mcronan, triciawyse

for trying. The special place in heaven has a nice new comfy chair just for you!