View Diary: Rape: Anonymous but Silenced No More (142 comments)

•  But where do you go with this? (1+ / 0-)
    Shockwave

If a jurisdiction implements measures to encourage crime reporting and generates a more accurate record of the actual incidence of crime, are you going to continue to fall back on generic estimates and assert that the new figures must still represent '5 to 15 percent'?

It's long been known that reported crime generally increases when a new police chief is appointed because citizens bet that there may now be a greater reason to report crime. A new chief's best strategy, then, is to convince citizens that no change to the good has occurred in order rapidly to bring down the rate of reported crime.

It's time we focus on this issue. We're killing ourselves.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 11:49:10 AM PDT

•  First I would increase the jail time... (10+ / 0-)

...for someone convicted of rape.  This will give the rapists food for thought.

Second, train police departments to deal with rape and perhaps have a separate trained group to deal with this crime.

Third cover rape in a school program (Steubenville type of rape situations may be more common than we know).  Separate classes for boys and girls.

Just thinking aloud.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 12:03:10 PM PDT

•  What is the jail-time now? (1+ / 0-)
        Shockwave

I have no idea what it is for the jurisdiction in which I am now and how it may differ from that in the next state over ... so the deterrent value of that 'condition' is zero in my regard. Do you check those things as you travel around the country?

I'm sorry, but the only moral of this story I can infer is "There are snakes in the grass; wear boots!"

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 12:17:29 PM PDT

•  Actual rape time is about 5.4 years (11+ / 0-)

Prison sentences for rape are not uniform. A study made by the U.S. Department of Justice of prison releases in 1992, involving about 80 percent of the prison population, found that the average sentence for convicted rapists was 11.8 years, while the actual time served was 5.4 years. This follows the typical pattern for violent crimes in the US, where those convicted typically serve no more than half of their sentence.[11]
          Perhaps also a national rape law would be useful;
          There is no national rape law in the United States, due to the United States v. Morrison ruling that parts of the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 were unconstitutional. Each state has its own laws concerning sexual aggression. Nor is there any national standard in the US for defining and reporting male-male or female-perpetrated rapes. State laws vary considerably, and in most states the term "rape" is no longer used, and the offense has been replaced by crimes such as "sexual assault", "criminal sexual conduct", "sexual abuse", "sexual battery" etc. The US laws on sexual violence are complex, with states having numerous sex offenses, dealing with different situations. The laws on sex crimes have been changed and modernized significantly during the last decades and they continue to change.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 12:23:34 PM PDT

•  Depends on variables. (2+ / 0-)
          Eyesbright, WakeUpNeo

Jurisdiction, age of victim, circumstances.  Sadly, it can be as little as 3 years if convicted.  And convictions can be very hard to get.  :(

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:51:40 PM PDT

•  No separate classes (14+ / 0-)

That was used in MY time to keep us out of traditionally "male" fields like math and science. The boys were always given the best teachers, their choice of facilities (girl's sports teams had to play "off season"), etc.

So no separate classes. If boys can't behave themselves then they get sent somewhere where they can't harm the rest of us.

•  Reminds me of the time ... (0+ / 0-)

I took my grandchildren to the mall, including the best friend of my oldest granddaughter; they were 12. Minding my own business, I overheard this story from the other girl in the back-seat:

So Bruce asked me if girls pee out their vagina, so I like asked him if he didn't go to Health class, and he like he didn't pay attention, so I told him girls have three holes, one to pee and one to shit and one to fuck.
          BTW: My 10-year-old grandson and 7-year-old granddaughter were also part of that conversation.

The world may have changed since I was 12.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio