View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/18 (219 comments)

•  Are there any non-Mufi Mormon Hawaii Dems? (2+ / 0-)
    ChadmanFL, GloFish

I do like to support my fellow co-religionists (and have a soft spot for Mufi for that reason, even though his policies are right-wing crap), so I'd like to know if there's any other Hawaii Democrats who are of the LDS faith.

Perferably progressive LDS Dems, but I'll take anyone but Mufi.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 07:01:27 PM PDT

•  Heh... I was looking up Hawaii's legislature (1+ / 0-)
      GloFish

And realized the Hawaii State Senate is 24D/1R.  The one and only republican is Jewish.  The poor guy has been minority leader wince 1996 because, well... he's pretty much alone.  Since 1982 republicans have never held >20% of the seats in the Hawaiian State Senate.

•  He had a partner until 2010 (2+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL, Skaje

when the other Republican, Sen. Hemmings retired.  He tried to make a comeback to win back the seat his successor lost in 2010, but lost 59.5-40.5.

"...and as I learned higher joys, so I learned neither to harm, nor to wish harm upon others." -Nietzche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 07:35:26 PM PDT

•  Still can't believe that happened (1+ / 0-)
          KingofSpades

I had that race as Likely GOP, and when the first returns came in, I thought I was reading it backwards.  Can't believe Hemmings got demolished by a first time candidate trying to return to the seat that he had an iron grip on for 10 years.

The Hawaii GOP is entering a period of complete irrelevancy.

•  Yeah, I remember that. (0+ / 0-)

When the Dem incumbent lost in a primary, you wrote it off.  Not that it would matter since Republicans can do nothing with a 2-23 minority.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:05:25 PM PDT

•  Also, was this district particularly conservative? (0+ / 0-)

I know Slom represents the most GOP area of the whole state.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:06:05 PM PDT

•  Slom's is the most Republican (1+ / 0-)
                KingofSpades

I had always figured Hemmings' as the 2nd most Republican, given his easy wins (and the fact that other Republicans held it through the 90s as well).  Maybe I misjudged the seat.   It does take in some heavily GOP areas around Hawaii Kai, but also some more politically competitive areas around Kailua, as well as Waimanalo which actually leans Dem.

With all 25 state senate seats up this past year, the only one we actually had to sweat is district 23, held by Sen. Clayton Hee (long known as a polarizing figure) in a reconfigured seat taking in most of North Shore.  The GOP actually dug up a decent opponent for him too in the form of an ex-state representative, and Hee only won by 7% (notable considering most of our incumbents were in the 60-80% range).

If there is any part of the state that does seem to be shifting away from Dems, it is North Shore.  The GOP has a solid base there in Laie (heavily Mormon), and the rest of the towns along the coast are blue, but not overwhelmingly so.  I think rail is also driving them, perhaps temporarily, towards anti-rail candidates, most of whom are Republican.  Needless to say, the towns on the North Shore don't see much need for rail.

•  Isn't he politically hampered (2+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL, gabjoh

in that he can't physically attend all the meetings of the committees he's on, and he can't do almost anything without a Democrat to second his motion?

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 07:39:36 PM PDT

•  The heck? (0+ / 0-)

I clicked "post a comment", not "reply", and it turned it into a reply again. No idea why the comment system is doing that.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 07:30:11 PM PDT

•  Not a lot of LDS politicians in Hawaii (1+ / 0-)
      James Allen

Aside from Mufi (and former Rep. Cec Heftil (D), who represented HI-01 from 1976 to 1986), there haven't really been a lot of high-profile Mormons in Hawaii.  The only current office holder I can think of is Richard Fale (R), a state representative for Laie and other areas on the North Shore.

•  That's a shame (0+ / 0-)

Since we used to have a large Mormon presence in Hawaii (which was sadly used to pass the gay marriage ban, but they were probably going to try anyways).

I was hoping that there'd be more non-Mufi Mormon Democrats in Hawaii. I was especially hoping that there'd be a progressive Mormon there.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:38:02 PM PDT