View Diary: CNN is crying over rapists (278 comments)

•  I am aware. (0+ / 0-)

You're suggesting that for all sex offenders?

In the instant case the offenders are juneniles. Them too?

© grover

by grover on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:23:47 PM PDT

•  you're suggesting what they did (1+ / 0-)
      DarthMeow504

isn't heinous enough?

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:51:19 PM PDT

•  The US Supreme Court has said rape is (0+ / 0-)

Not a capital crime.

Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding that capital punishment for crimes against individuals can be applied only to murderers.

/snip

But the justice -- supported by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer -- wrote that when determining what punishment the Eighth Amendment prohibits, "evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society" must be taken into account.

After a review of the "history of the death penalty for this and other nonhomicide crimes, current state statutes and new enactments ... we conclude there is a national consensus against capital punishment for the crime of child rape," Anthony Kennedy wrote.

(Emphasis mine).

I line up behind the liberals on the court, despite my personal outrage  about the details of this case.

© grover

by grover on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 08:49:55 AM PDT

•  What punishment is appropriate, then? (0+ / 0-)

Lifetime solitary confinement without parole is considered cruel and unusual, is it not?

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 09:09:49 AM PDT

•  What do you want me to say? This country doesn't (1+ / 0-)
            Villanova Rhodes

have the facilities nor the standards that say we give the harshest punishments to anyone other than people who commit murder in the first degree, usually with extraordinary circumstances.

I had a friend killed by a drunk driver. Would I have preferred he were locked up and the key tossed away forever? Sure, part of me would have.  My friend was dead. Dead dead dead.

The young woman in Steubenville is not. She has suffered. She will continue to suffer much of her life. Even when she has managed to overcome the initial trauma, she will struggle with the effects of the initial crime AND her hometown's (and CNN's for that matter) wanton indifference to the agony, pain and life of struggling that await her.  I think she has barely begun to feel the pain, frankly.

Is her situation worse than my friend's? I honestly don't know. I have friends who have been raped. One or two say they wish he had just killed her.  I don't know if she means it. But I know it speaks to the pain she suffers every single freaking day of her life.

But we don't kill everyone who harms someone else in the United States.  Where will we draw the line? I know of people who have been cruelly beaten until their bones were crushed during robberies. Are their injuries significant enough?  What if bones aren't crushed but internal organs are permanently damaged? What if they "just" suffer PTSD for the rest of their lives?

We have the system we have. Overall, I think it's pretty good. I've sat on two juries and both times, we walked out of there with a verdict that I thought was the right one. One was very difficult. I was the forewoman, and we struggled to arrive at a verdict that everyone could live with. But we did.  I just got called for jury duty again. If called to serve, I'll do my best to be objective and uphold the law as it's written, not as I think it should be if we lived in some sort of ideal world.

I think that it's good that citizens are outraged about this case and cases like it. It shows that violence in the media, politicians willing to use and perpetuate violence because it suits their political needs, and the overall gun culture have not numbed us.

But I don't want to be a vengeful person.  The death penalty does not serve as a deterrent. States that have the death penalty have higher murder rates. Are there some people on death row that frankly, I don't care if they live or die? There are.  One raped and killed a child from my hometown.  He'll probably rot in prison, but if he's executed, I won't shed a tear.

But I won't celebrate either.  I won't be relieved. I won't care either way.

So, I don't know what you want me to say. We don't have a magic wand that can effect perfect justice. If we did, our society wouldn't be as violent and corrupt as it is.

We do the best we can.

© grover

by grover on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 04:05:36 PM PDT

•  we cannot restore her life. Can we keep them from (0+ / 0-)

getting out and doing this again, with or without alcohol's help?

Under our current code, the worst that can happen is that they'll spend a very few years in custody.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 05:22:20 PM PDT