View Diary: Use This Word In a Sentence (69 comments)

•  I have this little scenario in my head about the (12+ / 0-)

first day on the job working for the health insurance company and your job is combing throuh records to find the previously undisclosed bunion that will be used to deny benefits to the newly diagnosed customer with breast cancer. You will be paid a bonus for every patient recission you are responsible for. So, in other words, you'll be compensated for helping to kill people, although indirectly and no messy blood spatters.

Stay on the job, or punch out?

As they say on TV, this scenario is "ripped from today's headlines" because there was actually a story about something very similar to this in real life.

In a perfect world, if the first three people punched out after having the job explained to them, and said they'll be writing to the newspaper, the TV station , their Senator and the Insurance Commission, the company may have decided that, profitable as bunion hunting may be, killing off your customers for a buck is not the action of a responsible company.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” FDR

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:55:07 AM PDT

•  Exactly. (4+ / 0-)

And cleaning houses or mowing lawns is more honorable. Shoveling horse manure is more honorable--the real kind, not the kind our politicians try to feed us.

•  I had a job like that (9+ / 0-)

working for a third party insurance administration company. Initially, my job was to verify contact information for providers, then as I learned the ICD codes, I started coding and adding the prices to the billing sheets according to the plan they were on.

When they taught me how to deny claims due to pre-existing conditions, though, I left.  I did it for exactly as long as it took me to figure out what they were doing (4 claims - I was dense), and I quit.

I took with me a lot of insurance billing knowledge and use  it to help uninsured friends negotiate better prices for medical care when they need it.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 11:16:11 AM PDT

•  Wow! To me you are a hero. (4+ / 0-)

And you paid a price for your convictions, but you can't have any doubt that you did the right thing and the moral thing.

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 11:39:28 AM PDT

•  Sadly, if that were my job today (3+ / 0-)
          tardis10, marina, Sam Sara

I'd probably cling to it. This happened 15 years ago and it was much easier to get another job.  But now that I'm so old, and jobs are scarcer to find, I wouldn't walk off the job like that.

I'd hunt for a new job and cling to that one until I was hired on somewhere else. In the end, I would leave. It would just take longer.

by Noddy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:14:57 PM PDT

•  The bondage of a broken economy (2+ / 0-)
            Noddy, Sam Sara

A lot of people are in that position today. How it affects them internally, who knows? We have a lot of people walking around who have had to give up their principles for one reason or another. Some are vets, some are police, some are doctors. All have to deal with an insensitive system--a system that has temptations built right in to co-opt the initially unwilling.

•  the bee in my bonnet is that (1+ / 0-)
      marina

organizations (corporations, churches, universities) are like ant hills or brains - the individual ant or neuron doesn't know what the conglomerate is up to - but the mass entity (like the Borg of Star Trek) has its own purposes.

And that corporations, to be successful, compete & evolve, & so finally create systems that produce their own little perfect cogs. I think of the prep school kid, indoctrinated into a certain culture - competitive, selfish, hedonistic, where "winning the game" (he who dies with the most toys wins) is the most important thing - & where the rewards of easy sex & drugs, alcohol, etc. are the normal perquisites of the "winners" who are willing to play the "hardball" backstabbing games it takes to rise to the top of the tree.

If you rise in the corporate (or ecclesiastical) hierarchy, it's because you've passed through ever more stringent tests & sieves, that winnow out those not subservient to the organization above all - how else to explain all those Bishops who hid the child abusers, or Dick Cheney?

And the organizations with the most self-preserving systems - WIN!  - see Goldman-Sachs

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

by greenotron on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:46:41 PM PDT

•  Neither. Become a whistleblower. (0+ / 0-)

Stay undercover, if necessary. Get help. You can talk to people at a number of public interest NGOs about the company's practices and your legal rights, and how to protect yourself. Write an anonymous diary here, for example.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 09:52:51 PM PDT