View Diary: California House Races 2014 (67 comments)

•  Yeah, that's what he meant (0+ / 0-)

DeMaio touted the endorsement of homophobic ex-Mayor Roger Hedgecock (who boycotted the Pride parade in '86 because he blamed gay people for bringing a devastating "plague" to America and he sued them in the 90's on behalf of "normal people") and won the support of  Prop 8 donors by promising that he "won't push the gay special agenda."
    If that doesn't make him a turncoat, I don't know what does.

"...and as I learned higher joys, so I learned neither to harm, nor to wish harm upon others." -Nietzche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:27:21 PM PDT

•  Proof: (0+ / 0-)

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:30:17 PM PDT

•  That makes him a conservative, not a turncoat. (0+ / 0-)

A turncoat is Artur Davis, or Parker Griffith, or Charlie Crist, or Arlen Specter.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
      politicohen.com
      Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
      UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:43:02 PM PDT

•  Pandering to homophobes to win their money (0+ / 0-)

and selling your soul to them by promising to not advance the "gay agenda" and playing right into their narrative about there being one despite being gay himself is being turncoat.  He's somewhat like General Benedict Arnold, who in return for his defection to the British Army, was promised an extremely generous stipend and pension.  Yes, Arnold's case was much more complicated than that, but in that respect, Demaio is like him.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:52:49 PM PDT

•  No (0+ / 0-)

That's absurd.

Benedict Arnold switched sides.
          Carl DeMaio has always been conservative.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
          politicohen.com
          UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:57:19 PM PDT

•  Internally, he supported gay marriage and whatnot (0+ / 0-)

but said he would halt Mayor Sanders push on it.  So he was turncoat on those beliefs on human equality in that he supported it once, but whored himself to homophobes to get their money.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:59:57 PM PDT

•  So yes, he switched sides (0+ / 0-)

on openly supporting gay marriage and protections on gay renters and whatnot.  He was pushed, by their money, to closet those beliefs away.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:17:39 PM PDT

•  You sound like Pete Stark (0+ / 0-)

when he called Bush 41's Black Cabinet secretary a "traitor to his race"

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
          politicohen.com
          UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:57:45 PM PDT

•  I don't know about that (0+ / 0-)

but I would say that Clarence Thomas certainly is since he supports  letting segregation  happen on private property if the owner so chooses.

Also, imagine a  female politician declares that the woman's place is in the household (think Phyllis Schafly).  That's what Demaio was like for gay people.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:04:58 PM PDT

•  Also, imagine (0+ / 0-)

a Jewish candidate who was seeking donations from anti-Semitic interests and in return promising to not push the "Zionist/NWO agenda."  That's what Demaio was for gay people.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:07:11 PM PDT

•  That's only a traitor (0+ / 0-)

if you think you know what's best for gay people.  I wouldn't consider any of those people to be traitors.  I'd just be puzzled how they could think that way.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                politicohen.com
                UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:09:25 PM PDT

•  Why is it being traitor? (0+ / 0-)

Seeking support from groups and interests based on hate against people like you and playing along with their conspiracy theories to win their support (despite believing otherwise yourself) is traitor to a cause, people, culture, what have you.  Surely you would think so if there was ever a Jewish candidate who was endorsed by Stormfront and spouted their lines in return for their support.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:13:57 PM PDT

•  No, I wouldn't. (0+ / 0-)

Jews are not a cause or a side.  You literally can't be a traitor to Jews because unlike the Continental Army, Jews aren't a single, unified group.  There are Jews for Jesus.  There are ultra-Orthodox Jews who don't want Israel to exist.  There are "self-hating" Jews (I detest that term for the same reason I detest calling DeMaio a traitor).

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                    politicohen.com
                    UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:21:59 PM PDT

•  I think that (3+ / 0-)
                      KingofSpades, GloFish, Alibguy

this is starting to derail the discussion.  We can debate the semantics of "turncoat" and "traitor" all day, but I think it's very clear that all wwmiv meant was that Carl DeMaio is a gay Republican who is against gay equality to pander to conservatives.  That fundamental contradiction is undeniable, and appalling.