View Diary: War Criminal Resurfaces to Brag About an Iraq of Rape and Torture (27 comments)

•  It's too bad we couldn't do anything (22+ / 0-)

about John Bolton. Or any of the war pimping liar Bushies for that matter. It being completely impossible to even try to hold any of these people accountable? I'm sure it won't come back to haunt us at all.

I am from the Elizabeth Warren and Darcy Burner wing of the Democratic Party

by LeftHandedMan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:03:36 PM PDT

•  I'm betting (6+ / 0-)

he has a real shot at being Secretary of State or Secretary of Defense in the next Republican Presidential administration.

Hopefully Hilary Clinton is a two-term President, and runs out the clock on him having the chance.

I am from the Elizabeth Warren and Darcy Burner wing of the Democratic Party

by LeftHandedMan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:05:49 PM PDT

•  Didn't Senator Clinton support war against Iraq? (3+ / 0-)
        Words In Action, Avila, Nulwee

Furthermore, let's not ignore how the current authoritarian regime in Egypt is treating Christians.

Finally, can anyone really dispute that if the current rulers of Syria fall, that the Christians will be slaughtered?

Yes, Iraqi's are worse off today than they were 10 years ago.

But Egyptians are worse off as well, as are Libyans, compared to a couple of years ago.

And if the current government of Syria falls, Syrians will be worse off as well.

Some battles are worth fighting.

Iraq, Libya, Egypt and Syria do not meet that threshold.

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:23:22 PM PDT

•  here's a cheery thought: (4+ / 0-)
        Avila, Jaimas, YucatanMan, Nulwee

even if that is the case, the Democrats aren't going to hold the White House forever, and even now there's some twisted neophyte coming up thru the ranks right now who looks up to the Walrus and thinks he's a Great American etc etc....

•  There are probably only two scenarios (5+ / 0-)

in which the US government would prosecute those vermin, and in both it would merely be to forestall what they would consider worse:

1.  International war crimes prosecutions going forward.

2.  Domestic vigilantism.

But since no one is in any hurry to do the former - complicity in the Iraq War and torture plots extends worldwide, to most of the powers - and no one wants to go to jail to make some lame gesture, I'm not holding my breath.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:37:43 PM PDT

•  When our elected leaders lack the courage or (3+ / 0-)
        Nulwee, 207wickedgood, Troubadour

morality to prosecute criminals, it is pretty hard for the citizenry to force the issue in today's world.

What's remarkable about the Steubenville rape case is that Anonymous was able to arouse public outrage to the point that prosecutors were forced to act. It is remarkable partly because it is so rare.

The public has not been outraged by revelations about lying us into war, torture, black prisons, or banking fraud. Perhaps there are simply too many worries at the national level, primarily feeding your family and holding onto or finding a job.

In Ohio, prosecutors were either lazy or not paying attention.  In the case of our national crimes, the head prosecutor seems to have been specifically chosen so that he won't go after the war criminals and banksters.  He said as much in his recent testimony before Congress.

That makes the bar much higher for the public to overcome in a push for action.

by YucatanMan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:57:12 PM PDT