View Diary: Matt Barber: If you're pro-choice, you're no different from a slavemaster (29 comments)

•  Who the hell is Matt Barber and why (4+ / 0-)

does his deranged opinion mean something?

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:24:29 PM PDT

•  If Barber were just some random guy, this (5+ / 0-)

would be irrelevant. But he has millions of followers, and his "Barberians" as they like to be called collectively wield real power. We minimize the threat of Barberism at our peril.

•  I don't minimize the threat of anyone. (0+ / 0-)

But I also don't grant crazy assholes a platform just so I can entertain myself arguing with them.  We have to fight people like Limbaugh because his masters use their media monopoly to flood the public airwaves with propaganda, but some jerk writing an op-ed for some site I've never heard of doesn't quite rise to that standard for me.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:50:17 PM PDT

•  Charisma is a leading pentecostal/charismatic (2+ / 0-)
          doc2, JGibson

magazine ... so it gets read a lot among that constituency.

It's all part of knowing the enemy.

The NRA's response to calls for responsible gun law reform: noun, verb, Second Amendment

by Christian Dem in NC on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:53:09 PM PDT

•  Is there really so much to know about fundies? (0+ / 0-)

They're tools.  They passively stew in paranoid cartoon fantasies in a community-enforcing feedback loop until external political forces find them convenient enough to mobilize.  Focusing on them specifically is as pointless as studying plankton to learn about tsunamis.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:08:18 PM PDT

•  This guy Barber is part of the next (2+ / 0-)
          Christian Dem in NC, Troubadour

generation of Limbaughs. In many ways, he is worse than Rush Limbaugh. We need to call these up-and-comers out, early and often, lest they ascend in status unchecked. I understand the disgust, but ignoring Barber is not something we should be doing. In any event, you may had never heard of him before, but he's probably on your radar screen now.

•  Fair enough, but I don't think you realize (0+ / 0-)

how much liberal outrage played a role in the rise of Rush Limbaugh.  Media political figures always depend on two audiences to succeed - those who agree with them, and those who utterly hate them.  When people who aren't on their side ignore them, their prospects are limited.  But when they become a subject of debate, they've made it.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:11:10 PM PDT

•  You can't organize the ignoral of somebody tho. (1+ / 0-)
              Troubadour

Any knucklehead can break the embargo.

•  It's a numbers game. (0+ / 0-)

Guys like Barber are basically trolls, and the exact same behavioral principles apply to them.  Attention = reward, regardless of whether it's good or bad attention.  As long as a community in general recognizes what's going on and doesn't "feed the troll," the few who do will soon exhaust themselves and the troll won't have anyone to feed on.  But when a community as a whole feeds a troll, the participants can play off of each other's outrage indefinitely, creating an unlimited supply of attention for the troll.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:32:35 PM PDT

•  If you were LGBT, believe me, you'd be (1+ / 0-)
      irishwitch

well aware of this vicious, very active bigot.

•  He's a major, major player on the religious right (1+ / 0-)
      JGibson

He's co-leader of Liberty Counsel, a religious right law firm.

by Christian Dem in NC on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:52:29 PM PDT

•  So what he said changes absolutely nothing. (0+ / 0-)

He's a prominent figure in groups that already believe this and already promulgate it, but which persuade nobody who isn't already on board with them.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:43:18 PM PDT

•  It's still important to know what they're up to (0+ / 0-)

Plus, sunshine is the best medicine.

by Christian Dem in NC on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 04:20:00 PM PDT

•  Yes, what they're up to. (0+ / 0-)

Not what latest rhetorical claptrap they're saying in their echo-chamber.  It's just noise.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:29:28 PM PDT