Skip to main content

View Diary: The Tragedy of Public Safety Conservativism (30 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  My own personal 10% rule ... (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    shypuffadder, greengemini
    The vast majority of upstanding, responsible people do not use 911 for every sniffle and fever, every argument with their significant other, every stubbed toe. Most people do not get drunk and drive. Most people are not in gangs and shoot one another and their children in the van they are driving by. Most people are just doing their best and the thought of doing something illegal or abusing the system does not cross their minds.
    ... (which I admit is a percentage informed by anecdote and observation, not empirical data) is that 10% of any given segment of the population are scum bags who make it really hard for the other 90% who are not.
    A stronger financial and medical safety net for the poor, elderly and infirm could and would keep so many more people from hitting rock bottom where we so often find them. Better health education and access to public health services would keep a lot of people out of the ER. Better public transit would give so many people opportunity to access the services they need. More funding for low income housing and homeless shelters would keep more people off the streets. Stronger food security would give the impoverished access to healthy nutrition to avoid obesity and diabetes. More abuse and rape crisis centers would keep women safe. Sufficient funding of family planning and reproductive education would keep so many more people out of poverty.
    This is why so many of us say that we don't mind paying taxes because it buys us civilization.

    Your diary describe most of the fire fighters and EMTs I know.  Thank you for the insight you have provided -- I have a feeling it will be employed the next time we converse.

    "The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another." ~ George Bancroft (1800-1891)

    by JBL55 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 12:09:52 PM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (145)
  • Community (55)
  • Baltimore (38)
  • Civil Rights (36)
  • Bernie Sanders (32)
  • Economy (28)
  • Culture (28)
  • Elections (28)
  • Law (24)
  • Texas (23)
  • 2016 (20)
  • Environment (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site