View Diary: Arrests Made for Death Threats Against Steubenville Rape Victim (259 comments)

•  I'm talking about the rapists. (0+ / 0-)

The girls got an appropriate punishment. I'm ranting about the two rapists punks.

•  No one is arguing against that (1+ / 0-)
      poligirl

and this diary isn't about that yes?

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:40:27 PM PDT

•  It's about Steubenville, right? (1+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1

These girls are friends with the rapists. I hate knowing that the victim is having her life threatened. This wouldn't be happening to her if it weren't for those two rapist pigs.

•  I agree (4+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, Ginny in CO, Deep Texan, poligirl

The victim should not be threatened in any way and it stems from the act. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

How exactly should these girls that have been formed by social media be dealt with? Should they treated the same as a 40 year old that has been involved in internet interactions and makes threats, or as someone that has had limited experience with the repercussions of actions?

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:51:36 PM PDT

•  These girls aren't in the same league. (0+ / 0-)

If they actually committed the murder, then I would want them in prison. Just like how I feel about their rapist buddies.

•  And again I agree (1+ / 0-)
              poligirl

that is not the subject of this diary. I'm pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would argue that point. While the discussion could be had whether throwing them to the wolves or actually attempting to reaclimate to society is the peoper approach I think you won't find anyone here that thinks the boys should be scot free and shouldn't be monitored for life.

Again that is not the subject of the diary

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:12:08 PM PDT

•  I think the kids should get worse (0+ / 0-)

punishment than adults precisely BECAUSE they've been "raised" on social media.  Since the fuckin' parents can't seem to figure out how to teach them right from wrong, it's left to our justice system.

I'll forgive a 40 year old for not knowing how social media works long before I'll forgive a teenager who uses it every minute of every day.

I've warned my kids to keep their kids off that shit as long as possible.

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 10:31:18 AM PDT

•  Except of course more than two pigs were there (4+ / 0-)

that night, and a herd of little subhumans DID NOT STOP THE RAPE.

Including the parents / coaches who owned the houses where this happened.

Lots more people belong in jail over this.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 11:13:20 PM PDT

•  Can't wait to see what the grand jury turns up. (3+ / 0-)
            Deep Texan, JesseCW, BlackSheep1

Some are concerned that it will be made up of people from the town who won't be willing to hand down indictments. I suspect there is a good percent who have become really upset by the national and international attention the town has gotten. They could well sway enough of the others to hand down some charges. I would think they will mostly be dealing with the adults.

by Ginny in CO on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 02:41:01 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry (4+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Deep Texan, poligirl, Tonedevil

Nobody has said that the people convicted should get any sort of pass just to be clear.

What this discussion the way I read it is about other children that think it fine to bully whether it be through the toobs or in person.

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:44:17 PM PDT

•  The girls haven't been punished yet. This just (3+ / 0-)
      Deep Texan, poligirl, Tonedevil

happened.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:02:47 PM PDT