View Diary: BREAKING NEWS: Parliament of Cyprus Rejects "Bailout," Bank "Haircut" (143 comments)

•  I think the 36 votes you referenced (3+ / 0-)
    neo11, gulfgal98, mrkvica

were actually NO votes.  There were no YES votes.  There were 19 abstentions, however.  If I'm wrong on this, my apologies in advance.

"A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more." - from the prophet Jeremiah

by 3goldens on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 02:46:59 PM PDT

•  Correct (2+ / 0-)
      3goldens, gulfgal98

You are correct.  36 against, 19 abstained.

•  oops! (2+ / 0-)
      3goldens, mrkvica

I typed yes when I meant no.  Thanks for the correction.  The rest of my post stands.  I still believe that this is not going to go away after one negative vote of parliament.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 02:56:16 PM PDT

•  No, but... (3+ / 0-)
        DRo, 3goldens, gulfgal98

No it's not going to go away, but now a new precedent has been set: actually standing up to the EU and IMF bullying and blackmail.

•  Could Cyprus (3+ / 0-)
          3goldens, gulfgal98, nchristine

find themselves under the thumb of Russia instead of the EU? And do you have any info on the reported find of natural gas, could this in part be a resource grab?

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:04:59 PM PDT

•  Yes (5+ / 0-)
            3goldens, DRo, limpidglass, gulfgal98, mrkvica

Yes, Cyprus could find itself under the thumb of Russia.  But let's not jump to conclusions yet.  And I'm not sure that with the EU's actions in Greece, Portugal, Spain, and elsewhere, that being under the thumb of the EU is any better.  Some might say it's worse.

As for the resources, they are there and they are very real.  It was reported just four days ago that Cyprus may have as many as 60 trillion cubic feet of natural gas under its waters.  One would have to be really naive to think that that was not on the EU's mind (or Russia's, for that matter), along with Merkel's good friends in Ankara.

•  You're always so reliably accurate in your (1+ / 0-)
        gulfgal98

diaries and comments,  I figured it was just a typo but didn't want you to be unaware of it.

by 3goldens on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:11:53 PM PDT

•  Thanks...my excuse is (3+ / 0-)
          3goldens, marsanges, mrkvica

that I am battling a nasty head cold and today is the heavy sneezing day.  My brains are locked up in my sinuses and my sinuses are winning.  LOL

by gulfgal98 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:29:32 PM PDT

•  Been there--I call it Brain Fog! (1+ / 0-)
            gulfgal98

Hope you're feeling better soon.

by 3goldens on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:41:51 PM PDT

•  It is always self limiting (1+ / 0-)
              3goldens

Three miserable days and then onward.  There are certainly a lot worse things in life than a head cold.  Thank you for the well wishes.

by gulfgal98 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:56:37 PM PDT