View Diary: The Deconstruction of The LIBERAL Mind (56 comments)

•  there's not the urgency to light our hair (2+ / 0-)
    Bill W, Eyesbright

on fire and miss the crucial steps we keep missing.  Yes climate change is huge, and what are we doing?  I still drive, I still use fossil fuels.  It's built into the culture, it will take decades to change completely.  So why are we mad at Obama for not addressing climate change when his policies are the first real change we've ever seen?  EPA standards are stronger than ever, mileage requirements increase after 30 years of nothing, solar and wind power are flourishing because Obama funneled money to them.

We have financial regulations that prevent another taxpayer bailout, who knows that?  Not many here.  Let them fail, let them get pissed at each other for what it costs BANKS next time out.  Let them break up their giant industries because THEY are paying the price.  Fuck micro-managing Wall Street, let's get busy crowd-sourcing innovative companies and make WS irrelevant.  Obama is making that possible, but no one jumps on it.  Who's the problem here?  We are.  We're stuck looking for revenge and ignoring the power that's in our hands right now.

Wanna see forced-birthers lose power?  Change your Legislature, quit whining about how dumb they are.  Wanna see guns licensed and managed?  Ignore Wayne LaPierre and elect activists.  We fucking beat Citizens United in 2012 and all I hear here is "it's hopeless, they have all the power, we must start the revolution".

Run for school boards and your kids can flourish.  Run for water commissioner and save the groundwater.  Crowd source funding for solar panels on every building, rainwater catchment on every structure.  Start at home and you have something to sell at the state and national levels- success.

by I love OCD on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:59:38 AM PDT

•  Because we have all the time in the world. (0+ / 0-)

I get it.

I don't believe it.

But I get it.

If I forget to turn the light off when leaving a burning building, I'm not going back to turn it off, even if it was the cause the fire. Forward, not back. Life, not death.

And that difference makes all the difference.

Mindfulness is the first necessity of sanity and survival and the first casualty of Consumer Culture.

by Words In Action on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 06:43:23 PM PDT

•  No we don't, but since it's Obama (0+ / 0-)

who's pushing solar and wind energy, and maybe 1% of the activists here actually use mass transit, installed solar panels and have rainwater stored and in use, never shop at big box stores and live lightly on the planet I find it disingenuous to be panicking now.  We all own climate change.  Super-Barack hasn't hauled our asses out of the fire so it's his fault? Face it, we've been as negligent as everyone else has.  We love our comforts, we live better than 99% of the people on this planet and we're the loudest whiners about someone else doing something NOW!

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:34:40 AM PDT

•  It's about us doing something now, and (1+ / 0-)
          Ray Pensador

not a single moderate is willing to lift a finger except to help with a campaign or cast a vote.

And clearly that's not working and it will not work.

You want to get real change. Convince the rest of the moderates to join the Left on the Mall for the 60 days straight. That'll get their attention.

This waiting until next decade when we'll have the next window of opportunity to dominate the Hill is pathetic and dangerous.

by Words In Action on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:00:30 AM PDT

•  No it won't. (0+ / 0-)

What will create change is

Driving less
            Using mass transit more
            resetting thermostats
            installing solar panels
            helping your friends install solar panels
            pushing your town to start catching rainwater
            pushing your local utility to build a smart grid
            pushing your town and state to use alternative energy sources
            use only energy efficient appliances
            install energy efficient light bulbs
            unplug that big screen TV that draws power when it's off
            push your state to get on the high speed rail track
            don't fly unless you must

If everyone in this country took a few simple steps we'd be part of the solution not the problem, and we'd be creating the environment for change nationally and internationally.  We have no moral standing in this fight because we're the worst polluters.  Change that and you change the world.

Or stand on the Mall and look serious about all this?  That means nothing.  Take action, push your neighbors to take action, show the rest of the world that we're serious and willing to be slightly inconvenienced in order to effect change all over.

Trust me, it may not seem like it, but when the population is invested, things start to change.  It's not at Twitter speed, but it happens.  Stop spreading hopelessness and start being an advocate for the power of the people.

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:29:41 AM PDT

•  Personal use accounts for 20%. Institutional (1+ / 0-)
              Ray Pensador

use (business, government, defense, etc.), 80%.

I'm all for reducing personal footprints.

But that and electoral politics won't cut it. It's the insitutions. And they own government. They want you to play by the electoral rules. They want you to expend your energy in representative government. They have that sewn up already for another ten years, minimum.

The way forward is to show in no uncertain terms that the people will not stand for business as usual when it comes to climate change and sustainability. Not one more extraction or refinement facility, not one more pipe, for fossil fuel. We need a war effort approach to changing course on energy production. That won't happen unless the government and the plutocracy that owns it feels the breath of the masses in their face.

by Words In Action on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:39:43 AM PDT

•  It's not hopelessness, it's urgency. (1+ / 0-)
              Ray Pensador

It's realizing that small increments will not scale to address the problem in time. Ask any climate scientists, they just won't.

Pretending they will gives people a false sense of security that if they use cloth bags instead of plastic or paper, everything will be ok.

By all means, let's do those things. But let's be realistic that what we really need is a huge paradigm shift that  must involve government and business. And let's be realistic that traditional methods of electoral politics and appeals to representative government will not do it.

Given all that, what are the options, assuming we want to avoid violence, which will come if we continue to stick with the traditional methods that lead to gridlock and teeny increments, at best. Given that, now what?

by Words In Action on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:47:26 AM PDT

•  The Great Lakes were dead a couple of decades (0+ / 0-)

back, DDT was killing most songbirds in the USA, San Francisco Bay was a total loss.  Small actions reversed those ecological disasters because hope-the return of one species- energized more action.

I quit donating to the 16 ecology groups I was supporting for 10 years because I got a "It's hopeless!  We're losing!" letter from each group twice a month.  I returned to NRDC when they started compromising, negotiating and winning.  The victories were not pure, they took into account the cost to locals that pure victories would result in, they did things incrementally and taught ranchers, for instance, that wolves did not target healthy cattle they winnowed out the sick and weak.  Resistance dropped, more wolves were tolerated as the facts won out.

It's damn urgent, and scaring the shit out of people increases their resistance and their apathy.  Once you learn that your power usage decreases with thermostat changes(my friend went from $430 a month electric bill to $155) you enter a new thought process.  Conservation is good!  Pretty soon you wonder why that Mall is at 65 degrees all summer, or why you keep a sweater at work, then you wonder why West Texas isn't planted with solar arrays, then you demand lower prices and less pollution.

Urgent means nothing when you've so totally terrified people they refuse to think about it.  Human nature has to be taken into account if you really want to win.  Mother Nature is also resilient as all hell, and those small actions can pay off hugely, quickly.

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 12:49:22 PM PDT