View Diary: Kaili Joy Gray makes her debut on Wonkette (87 comments)

•  Chacun à son goût (3+ / 0-)
    MPociask, mconvente, mattc129

I missed the announcement about Kailli leaving. But I can't say I'm sorry. Her cuts of red meat were always a bit underdone to my taste.

"The smartest man in the room is not always right." -Richard Holbrooke

by Demi Moaned on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 10:22:57 AM PDT

•  Well (26+ / 0-)

judging from the 898 recs bidding her fare thee well and best of luck, a whole lot of people feel differently, me included.

•  Yeah, I'm with Demi (4+ / 0-)

Count me as someone who didn't rec or tip her farewell diary.  I know I know, I'm in the super, super minority here, but that's just how I feel.

As much as she highlighted a lot of really important issues and was good on most of her articles, anytime there was faux outrage coming from the front pagers, you knew it was she who authored it.

Like this diary of hers that entirely twisted the conclusions of a scientific article about how the trend toward stationary work has contributed to people being overweight.  An article that was published in PLoS ONE, a high-impact journal (it's not like we're talking about the Somalian Journal of Science here...)

As I wrote in several comments throughout that diary:

Liberals get the vapors anytime a study comes out that comments on sex and gender roles.  No one is arguing that certain races or women vs. men have a higher IQ, or things like that.  Yes, HFCS and processed foods in general is the main driver of obesity, but an additional major contribution is the reduction of physical activity over the past 50 years.  The information is blockquoted in the original post and it falls in line with the Thrifty Gene Hypothesis.

For men, that involves an overall trend toward leaving the factory and entering service-based jobs that rely on being stationary at a computer desk.

For women, that involves entering the workforce as a whole and entering service-based jobs that rely on being stationary at a computer desk.

Are either of those two above statements not true?  Then why all the outrage?

Yeah, I'm not exactly tearing up over a writer that totally doesn't understand science leaving for another site...

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 12:31:28 PM PDT

•  Know what? Right or wrong ... (2+ / 0-)
        earicicle, Lying eyes

I've always read KJG all the way through because she's become a hell of a writer, whether I agree or not. I find her writing engaging and interesting.

Others (including, e.g., the above)? Not so much.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 12:40:00 PM PDT

•  Ha, well hello there to you, too. (3+ / 0-)
          Clem Yeobright, mattc129, megisi

Engaging and interesting, agreeing/disagreeing are one thing.  Entirely twisting the results of a peer-reviewed and accepted (into a good journal, btw) science publication are another.  Don't individuals who write for their career have a responsibility to not twist things to fit their agenda?  Especially those employed at a site that posits itself as a "reality-based community".

Kaili's post that I linked to above is certainly engaging and interesting, but that's because she's the snark master, which makes what she writes fun to read (that's why sites like Jezebel, Gawker, Deadspin are so popular).  But her post also entirely twists the conclusions of a study. I will mention this again:

Are either of those two above statements not true?  Then why all the outrage?

Lastly, that's cool Clem, you're never on my radar here at Kos, so I really could care less if you read my science posts or not.

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 12:49:32 PM PDT

•  Oh brother. (2+ / 0-)
            Clem Yeobright, sfarkash

BTW, it's "couldn't care less.

FTFY

Disclaimer: I am not a member of kourtesy kos.

•  Ha (1+ / 0-)
              mattc129

Another user I "couldn't" care less about chiming in. But since you're here I might as well say that I'm just so glad we have the Science Matters group here at Daily Kos.  That gives us a forum to call out users like you, Clem, KJG, and all others who seem to think its totally fine to twist science so long it fits their agenda.

Because I don't really see too much of a response or answer to the questions I posited in my comments regarding how the study supports the well know Thrifty Gene Hypothesis. But that's ok, I guess we can disregard theories that go against whatever agendas you may have.

Outrage over Republicans voting against VAWA, being anti-choice, being anti-equal pay, being anti-women in general = necessary and to be encouraged.

Faux outrage any time a study talks about how sedentary lifestyles contributes to being overweight so therefore OMG ONOZ those scientists must be Neanderthal misogynists = not so cool.

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 02:05:26 PM PDT

•  'Don't individuals who write for ... (2+ / 0-)
            mconvente, mattc129
            ... their career have a responsibility to not twist things to fit their agenda?'
      •  Y'know, I never signed on With Wm. F. Buckley (0+ / 0-)

but I enjoyed his writing and speaking...

But of course, he was a sailor, so that made him a reasonable person in certain circumstances (see Atlantic High)

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 09:00:21 PM PDT