View Diary: NFL changes the rules on helmet use for ball carriers and tacklers (48 comments)

•  unfortunately (4+ / 0-)
    Hey338Too, dougymi, Roger Fox, journeyman

the rule is going to be really hard to enforce. It's only natural to try and defelct or avoid a hit. If you can't get to the side fast enough, the next fastest way is to duck. I can't see any running backs standing up straight as they're getting hit. I guess we're just going to see a lot more diving.

Not against the rule at all, just it's going to be hard to enforce on a consistent basis.

•  There's a difference with regard to intent... (2+ / 0-)
      greengemini, Cassandra Waites

... which should be easy to differentiate from ducking.  One is trying to avoid the hit, the other is trying to initiate it.

Looking through the bent backed tulips, To see how the other half lives, Looking through a glass onion - John Lennon and Paul McCartney

by Hey338Too on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 04:06:45 PM PDT

•  i think this is SO stupid (5+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too, VClib, Roger Fox, journeyman, ancblu

because it's essentially penalizing a natural bracing instinct. It's like penalizing a guy for flinching when a fist is thrown his way. (of course, my friends and stepbrothers WOULD penalize me for flinching back in the day but that's another story)

Marshall Faulk spoke for pretty much every running back here:

Enforcement is the obvious concern, but I'm also thinking about the safety of players. When you run the football with your chin up in the air, you're going to get knocked out. Look at Stevan Ridley in the AFC Championship Game -- if he would've gotten low, I don't see him getting knocked out by Bernard Pollard on that game-changing play. I know this: If you face contact with your eyes up, you will get hurt. As a ball carrier, the only thing you can do to protect yourself sometimes is getting down, and that now can be taken as lowering your helmet and using it as a weapon. You take that away from a guy, and now you have to run up in there chin-first.

At the end of the day, all this crap is like trying to create a safe cigarette. Its a savage, violent game given rules and structure. Every player noticed how Alex Smith lost his job because of the new concussion rules and every player would RATHER get hit in the head than the knees.

oh and plz note the first part of Faulk's statement:

It's crazy. I think it's a stupid rule. It's all about suits -- suits run our game.
      Yeah, get it? It's not about safety or the game. It's about GOOD PR and protecting the investment of billionaire owners.

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 04:22:58 PM PDT

•  I would disagree that a ... (3+ / 0-)

... natural bracing instinct is to stick the crown of your head anywhere near the point of impact.  There is no doubt that the NFL has a mentality that it is better to hit than be hit, you'll still see plenty of that.  But it's even better to be able to walk away from a game than be carted off.

by Hey338Too on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 04:44:54 PM PDT

•  I have mixed feelings about this. (1+ / 0-)
        Hey338Too

First, let me just say right up front that I am a rabid Steelers fan.

I mention that because a lot of these new safety rules seem to be applied in a less than objective fashion. The refs target physical teams of which the Steelers are one. James Harrison would sneeze and get a fifteen yard penalty and 25,000 dollar fine and yet Haoli Ngata could do this:

photo RoethlisbergerBrokenNose.jpg

and walk away without so much as a hands to the face flag? I mean, did the refs think Roethlisberger hit himself?

That allowed, I think that the game is too dangerous and I generally support moves to make it safer. (Mike Webster died for our sins.) but I can't help but agree with Faulk on this one. This strikes me as a classic Goodell CYA publicity stunt that will be enforced with prejudice.

Ceterum censeo Factionem Republicanam esse delendam.

by journeyman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 07:14:06 PM PDT

•  Play calling? (2+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too, journeyman

Sweeps past the tackle?

I think this is too big of a change in one rule change.

...... Social Security blogathon March 25th thru March 29th. #HandsOffmySS FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 05:36:06 PM PDT

•  ducking is not the same thing as (3+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too, journeyman, ancblu

ramming. Ask a player.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:17:26 PM PDT

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site