View Diary: You See Where This is Headed, Right? (271 comments)

•  You have to admire Obama's brilliance (92+ / 0-)

Obama has outmaneuvered FDR Dems. It's the 3rd way or the sequester highway. Heads, Wall Street wins. Tails you lose.

Obama, like Tony Blair will leave office set for life.

Tony Blair sold out his labor supporters with such style and class. And now Obama's outdoing Tony Blair. I hope you have a good private retirement plan. You're going to get chained CPI with whipping cream and a cherry on top.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 05:20:27 PM PDT

•  Not "lying," just clueless (10+ / 0-)

She's got millions in the bank she can "retire" with.  Even more than Obama.  What's a few dollars off her SS check?

The question for Dems is how did we end up with millionaires running our party?

•  From what I understand, she will get (2+ / 0-)
          RUNDOWN, lcrp

a few dollars less and people like me, the many at the bottom of the benefit line, will get more.  I worked lower pay jobs most of my life, was out of the workforce when I was struggling with bi-polar disorder.  Obama's nefarious plan would raise my basic benefit and increase my COLAs.

Why are liberals so opposed to improving conditions for people who are less wealthy than they are?  If you have money in retirement accounts, are you unwilling to give up a few bucks a month because you earned it and deserve it more than the rest of us do?  I don't get this.

If your retirement funds are eaten up by catastrophe, you'll qualify for more SS.  If you are lucky you'll see less from SS.  How is this a terrible cut that ends civilization as we know it?

I feel like I'm in an alternative universe where Democrats have gotten as fact-free as Republicans are, and everyone seems proud of it.

by I love OCD on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:04:44 AM PDT

•  What the fuck (0+ / 0-)

are you talking about?

What is the factual basis for your "understandings" and your conclusions?

How have you determined that people at the "bottom of the benefit line" will get more in benefits?

Your assertions, your conclusions, your responsibility to substantiate.

"A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home." - James Madison

by gharlane on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 12:03:20 PM PDT

•  It's how it was explained at several other sites. (0+ / 0-)

The basic benefit increases for those on the bottom tiers, and the annual COLA is tiered so the people getting the least get the largest increases, those on top get smaller ones over the years.

There's also a review process if those on the top are hit with catastrophic expenses and need more.

I think it might be on the White House site as well.  I'm accepting what I've read at sites I trust over what I read here because DK has been wrong about entitlements every single time so far.  An improved track record would help.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 02:17:01 PM PDT

•   (0+ / 0-)

Could you, maybe, be bothered to link to even one of them?  And maybe explain why you "trust" those sites? As well as substantiate your claim that DK "has been wrong about entitlements every single time so far"?

And, no, sorry, WH spin doesn't do it for me.

Sorry, bub, what you've written above ain't substantiation.  And it's still your claim, and still your duty to substantiate, if you want to be taken seriously.  OTOH if unsubstantiated assertions are your thing, well, then, you're doing a heckuva jub.

by gharlane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:57:08 PM PDT

•  Try Center for American Progress, (0+ / 0-)

OMB.  It's complicated stuff, and hard to predict how it will all play out.  Obama's underplaying the reform aspects, holding out a carrot to Republicans who are generally too stupid to attend to details and agree to things they regret wildly later on.  The thing they'll regret is a major bump to the basic benefit for those who are reliant on SS and have nothing else.

by I love OCD on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:02:13 AM PDT

•  If we ever get a retirement! (48+ / 0-)

Talk about a Sophies Choice!  I'm 57; hubby is 61.  Last time he worked was about 5 years ago.  I'm among those of us who will be trying to make do with 20% less salary -- the only one supporting this family.  You know... the salary that's been frozen for three years now.

But I absolutely do NOT want Chained CPI.  Furthermore, I think everything they've ALL done or talked about to this point has been backasswards.

Yes, Medicare needs an adjustment.  But it needs one that is tailored to how our Elders live.  Never mind "durable goods" as a mark of inflation.  We need CPI's that take into account the cost of health care, the cost of visiting nurses; the cost of home help.   We need a CPI that covers wheelchairs and scooters and hips and knees.

To the point, we NEED single payer healthcare -- Medicare for ALL -- including negotiated pharma prices.  We need research, REAL quality oversight, and caps on medical devices - not new taxes on them.

And because Bush and his cronies bankrupted the entire world, insuring that "common people" would be left scratching out a living while they lived high on the  hog, we need a REAL JUBILEE for we 99% who got pushed off the train.

Further, we needed (need) a period of early retirement at full benefits (say, at 55) so we who have jobs can get out of the way of the younger generation.   It's the right thing to do for the future - theirs and ours.

Oh, yeah... I can just hear the banksters and repubs screaming "Moral Hazard" at the top of their lungs.

But what do I know.  I'm just an old DFH.

•  I agree with everything you said, except (26+ / 0-)

the blame for this mess doesn't lie just with the republicans. In 2008, we elected Obama to implement change (remember that word?) , instead, he doubled down on republican policies and because of that, for four years our choices have been limited to the lesser of two evils. Nothing will ever change until Obama supporters begin to realize that they are supporting republican policies by protecting Obama and start demanding change.

Think about it, the republicans make absolutely horrendous austerity demands of the president and then Obama offers them...a lesser evil republican plan and then much later, we're told that is the best he can do.

In other words, there's not much chance of changing Obama's mind. He's going to make SS cuts, no matter how much damage it will do to the Democratic Party.

Right now, the republicans have an easy path to victory in 2014: just hang all of Obama's republican policies -- which are very unpopular -- around his neck, and then start espousing traditional Democratic values -- which always seem to be winning policies.

•  Yeppers... (8+ / 0-)

I don't disagree with anything you said.  We're agreed 100%.  Fact is, there are only a handful of people in Congress that we can stand behind, but in the end they either get shouted over and out-voted or end up rationalizing capitulation.  I can't tell you how disheartened and despairing I am right now about the whole mess.

INRE: "lesser of two evils"... I can't remember the last time I was truly excited about voting for someone.  I think it was when I was in high school and we were involved in a project in Gov't class.  But then Sirhan Sirhan shot Bobby Kennedy.  I lost a lot of innocence that summer.

LBJ had his issues, and he was about as "in your face" as one man could be.  But he got thru some good progressive legislation, in spite of enormous animosity, backstabbing, and Repub grandstanding.  That's what I WISH we'd gotten this time.  Someone like him who'd twist arms, chew butt, and make threats if need be to make sure the right thing for the people got done.  But I fear we're so far off the rails as a Party now, I honestly don't see much hope for the future - especially if they don't stand hard and fast against against SS, Medicare, and Medicaid cuts, in particular.

•  set for life? (5+ / 0-)
      conniptionfit, HCKAD, caul, cslewis, 4kedtongue

everyone had better believe that. I've been saying for a while that his life, his wife, kids are golden - long term.

Rest of us - we're set all right - set on the carving board while the austerity crowd and catfood commish carve bits of us off to help the bankers

•  Long Game (2+ / 0-)
      Cassandra77, Patrick Costighan

Say 15 months from now.

I'm just not seeing it the way the bead clutchers are - I have to disagree with the analysis presented and - believe me I am no Rah-rah Dem's are always right type.

But I think forcing the sequester to an inflection point did 2 positive things from a Dem standpoint - it brought into sharp relief the fact that the Republicans are all-in for tax cuts for the wealthy; over God, Country, Flag and friend (think Defense contractors).

It also makes the local incumbent GOP congress critter "own" the down side effects of the sequester in their district.  The party line will hold on that through the Summer and maybe through a government shut down over the debt ceiling or the budget.  Obama will not sign a "cuts only" budget and it won't get through the Senate in any event.

But if the tea leaves are any indication of the consequences, a smart dem locally focused (lost your job at the Navy Yard?, No Park Rangers being hired? Voted against Sandy Relief) push-back in the 2014 electoral process may yet get Obama the Congress he needs to finish the agenda he began in 2009.

Here's something you can take to the bank - by September, no one will be talking about the Dem's mis-steps on the sequester, everyone will be focused on the GOP shutting down the government or defaulting on the debt.

When you have a policy of not negotiating with terrorists, the first thing you do is ensure the hostages aren't shot (the Sequester) and go from there.  Has the landscape changed enough that when the GOP puts its "default" gun up to the head of the American people, the President and the Dems will be able to resist the ransom demanded - I think so.

And if any one like Mr. Sargent thinks he has gamed this out better than the guys that won a second term by 4+ million votes with a non-white guy named Obama in the worst depression in a century, well - I yell at Joe Girardi that he doesn't know anything about Yankees baseball all the time but it doesn't make it so.

•  Don't be so quick to assume its a sell out (4+ / 0-)
      ChemBob, zozie, RUNDOWN, FishOutofWater

I'm inclined to look at the entree and appetizer as well as the desert and to give him some credit both for being creative with what he had in the basket and a presentation that you can taste with your eyes before you even bite into the subtle layering of all its flavors.

Whats more delicious is that every time Republicans get something tasty from him it turns out to be full of the medicine they didn't want to take

Just as Obama's cuts to entitlements target subsidies to insurance companies and administrators, his embrace of chained CPI is changing the way social security benefits are calculated so as to raise the current payout, pay more to people making less and less to people making more.

He's doing that by manipulating the bend percentages and there has been little or no discussion of that because its redistribution of wealth is complicated. In reality his cuts are always a pool hall hustle taking away from the rich to give to the poor. He fakes right and goes left to break for the basket and slowly rack up the points rather than take the three pointer we are screaming at him to get off.

He does things we don't see coming more often than we realize. His frequent brochettes of Republican sacred cows have become legendary. The changes to tax codes, the minimum wage and chained CPI are tied to ending the Cap on SSI income as well as raising the minimum wage, reducing military spending, bringing the troops home, enhancing revenues by cutting tax loopholes and subsidies to oil companies and corporate agra business.

Obama got affordable healthcare passed after half a century of failure and we called it a sellout because it wasn't universal comprehensive. People accused him of playing 11 dimensional chess back then and more recently of confusing Star Trek and Star Wars with his Jeddi mind melds. Colbert

You have to recognize that if you are thinking in eleven dimensions Jeddi mind melds make perfect sense.

Obama Care turns out its a lot closer to universal comprehensive than we thought. After three decades of working with both large urban Hospitals and rural Community Health Centers in under served areas to design and build facilities and staffing and coming up against insurance companies and administrators firmly attached to bleeding the system like leaches and driving costs way up I was getting pretty cynical about change ever coming. Now my wife of 45 years is coming into the system with rectal cancer, no insurance, and finding everything paid for, CAT scans, Xrays, PET scans, surgery, radiation, chemo, an all woman team with primary care doctor, oncologist, surgeon, wound care nurse, radiologist. That wouldn't have been possible before.

Think a little bit about the Obama administrations failure to get Susan Rice followed up by his then getting Kerry and Hagel approved, plus as CIA chief Brennan who is anything but a cold warrior followed up by a visit to Israel. What fowl will Obama be getting Romney supporter Netanyahu to dine on if he wants to continue to have a place at the table.

If you cursed Obama out over taking credit for Lily Leadbetter, failing to close GITMO, supporting FISA, not supporting NASA, the Patriot Act, his embrace of Indefinite detention, drones, the assassination of US citizens who happen to be pirates, bandits or terrorists, Biden, throwing Susan Rice under the bus, not doing enough about Gay rights, DOMA, don't ask don't tell, marriage equality, the START treaty, the keystone pipeline, immigration, climate change, assault weapons and background checks or any of the rest of the stuff that we have been discussing here since he began his campaign against Hillary, I'm pretty sure you have seen things where what we didn't want (internal wars over power) has turned out ...(Hillary as Secretary of State) ... to be a grudgingly admitted brilliancy or at a minimum ok for now even if not what we wanted.

Take another bite and see if you can't taste the Farce

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 04:35:53 AM PDT

•  How is your wife being treated with rectal cancer (3+ / 0-)
        ChemBob, Cassandra77, rktect

"with everything paid for" with "no insurance"? What are you talking about? Please clarify.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” FDR

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:12:15 AM PDT

•  I want to know that too, because Obamacare doesn't (1+ / 0-)
          ScienceMom

go into effect until 2014.
          Little pieces of it are in effect, but the actual program - Jan. 2014.
          I know this because I won't be eligible for medicare until Feb. 2014.  Please advise how I could get coverage between now and then that doesn't cost as much as my mortgage per month.

I belong to the Honey Badger Wing of the Democratic Party. We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. Have you seen our videos?

by Cassandra77 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 07:02:07 AM PDT

•  First we went to a free clinic in Rockland (1+ / 0-)
          FishOutofWater

established by a doctor who used to work at the Brigham and Woman's Hospital in Boston. He hooked us up with some programs at Pen Bay in Rockport and they hooked us up with more programs at Maine General in Augusta. We have an appointment coming up to talk to a doctor who may wish to include us in his trials. Strip off the insurance and Affordable Care includes a lot of smart doctors and nurses who are able to make things happen.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 01:00:55 PM PDT

•  All the best to you. Hope for a full recovery. (1+ / 0-)
            rktect

I'm very pleased that you and your wife have found ways to get good medical care in these tough times.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:16:42 PM PDT

•  Thanks (0+ / 0-)

In 2005 I hooked up with NACHC, the National Association of Community Health Centers. They were celebrating their 40th anniversary. In the beginning they were free clinics, run by aging hippees. Long hair hippee communist radical freak doctors with long grey hair falling down their backs in ponytails. They came up with ways of getting money without going through the government and  filling out 300 pages of grant proposal so maybe 3% of them could get funded.

Some of their ideas were new markets tax credits where they set themselves up as private non profits and sold their tax exemptions to banks in return for forgiveness of loans, neighborhood synergy where they brought into being the concept of linkage for developers, and buying in bulk through regional primary care associations.

Hospitals provided them access to diagnostics and volunteers to bring healthcare to under served areas.
              Now its pretty common to find them even in places other then Massachusetts and Austin, Texas.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 04:48:31 PM PDT

•  I strongly supported the prez both times, and (0+ / 0-)

feel quite disenchanted with some of his wacked out choices.

I knew that he was going to disappoint me in the long term because after being elected for his first term he failed to give Dr./Gov. Howard Dean a cabinet position which i felt he more than deserved and to hell with rahm-boy and his infantile grudges (which we could easily read between the "tea leaves."

Also, during his first term he couldn't put John "bonehead" Boenher" and that chump, "Er-wic Cantor" in their rightful, disrespectful places, and kept trying and trying to appease them and all the other repugs to no avail.

But I supported him and still do, especially considering that there really isn't any alternative.

However, when he threatens to reform Medicare and Social Security, he reminds me of Bill Clinton and his conservative ways, such as his shady decision to allow the hacking away of the Glass-Steagall Act that worked fine for fifty years regulating the banks, and keeping them from gambling away their client's savings.

And now Obama wants to hack away at Social Security,  that is truly a Democratic accomplishment under FDR.

And i can't even apologize when I say how sick and tired of hearing our prez channel Ronald Reagan, and his despicable presidency-- that man who created so much of the mess we are in now! Trickle Down Misery is what he left us with, as well as Voodoo Economics!

Rather than quote and echo that second rate actor/fool, why doesn't President Obama extoll the wisdom and thoughts of President Carter, Reagan's predecessor who had the foresight to see the importance of alternative energy sources, and that our reliance on fossil fuels could very well be a detriment to our future!

President Obama should bring those solar panels back to the White House roof that President Carter had installed, and invite Mr. Carter back for a truly great celebration. They could make a stand against the mutant con-jobs that are infecting, even staining this nation of greed and trickle-down misery.

Damn it-- i'm just sick of all the great achievements enacted by great Democrats being slashed, and cut by one of our own.

Like Jack Nicholson says to Chief in 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest,' "Put it in the basket, Chief! Put it in the basket!"

So please, Mr. Prez, take over the game and put the damned ball into the hoop, and to hell with those wingnut-conjobs! It's your game and your history, go down as a Hall-of-Famer, not a Hall-of-Shamer, please....

• Recommended (118)
  • Community (55)
  • Memorial Day (28)
  • Culture (21)
  • Environment (19)
  • Law (19)
  • Civil Rights (19)
  • Science (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Labor (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Elections (15)
  • Marriage Equality (15)
  • Education (14)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (14)
  • Economy (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Ireland (13)
  • Republicans (13)
  • Health Care (11)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site