View Diary: Michelle Shocked Issues 2 Apologies, Club Recording Surfaces (131 comments)

•  But corvo, this is a big-time (2+ / 0-)
    crose, ancblu

celebrity trainwreck that touches all the LGBT vs. Fundie Xtian bases. How can you not be fascinated? ;>)

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 03:49:52 PM PDT

•  The "who" is rhetorical. (1+ / 0-)
      Ray Blake

I remember working in a record store when her first album came out, and wondering what the goddam hyphen was doing in the middle of her name.  Someone had to explain to me it was some kind of "country thing."

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 03:58:14 PM PDT

•  I assumed it was rhetorical (2+ / 0-)
        corvo, crose

I've never known her music that well, not a fan. I just assumed the name came out of a punk sensibility, which seems to be the case. It's a real human interest story though because it occurs at the nexus of a culture war that finds expression in her breakdown. After listening to the recording, there's no question that she lost it. A painful and pitiful disintegration.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 04:28:32 PM PDT

•  Never heard a note of her music (3+ / 0-)
          RobertInWisconsin, MRA NY, ancblu

and to judge from the self-imaging and marketing thereof, I don't think I'm depriving myself.

by corvo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 05:57:57 PM PDT

•  um, no, corvo, not "country" (1+ / 0-)
        ancblu

or "western" either. Folk, maybe. Way out there on the Tiny-Tim's-uke edge of folk.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:25:25 PM PDT

•  in the record business, of course, "folk" (0+ / 0-)

is where you put everything that doesn't fit anywhere else, especially if the lyrics parse.   Uncle Bonsai is "folk"? really?

Although I was actually going for "Applachian" or "Southern flatlands", and having only the pejoratives at hand and not knowing which geography fit her, I just stuck with "country."  My memories of ca. 1988 aren't always the best. :-)

by corvo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 03:59:22 AM PDT

•  1988 ... two years before Garth Brooks hit (0+ / 0-)

the country national spotlight.
            Michelle-Shocked wasn't country then and isn't country now. "Country" at the time would've been Shania Twain.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:24:07 AM PDT

•  Well, as I think I alluded to earlier, (1+ / 0-)
              BlackSheep1

I might have known that if I'd listened to the album.

by corvo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:27:22 AM PDT

•  usually you can tell looking at the covers, tho (0+ / 0-)

not always. See the "alternate identity" album that, for most folks, doomed Brooks' career.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 11:19:40 AM PDT