View Diary: Books Go Boom!   Hemingway on Writing (129 comments)

•  What a great diary!! (19+ / 0-)

Thank you.

I am a fan of Hemingway.  I have gotten in trouble for that many times.  There is something about his struggles despite everything that just makes him important to me.  I call him Papa.

My favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls followed by Islands in the Stream.

I have his newspaper columns, By-Line Ernest Hemingway.

I do like the short stories, too.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 04:04:11 PM PDT

•  I'm glad you liked it. I admire Hemingway. (15+ / 0-)

He had his flaws, but he tried to strip all the bullshit out of his writing and himself, and he succeeded further than most do.

His style appeared basic, but his craft and complexity both developed - I think there was more to his writing by the time he penned For Whom the Bell Tolls. Then again, every great writer has hidden depths, and learns more as they go.

Now I'm off to read pico's Achebe tribute.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 04:16:20 PM PDT

•  'For Whom the Bell Tolls' is the first book (5+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, Brecht, cfk, bookgirl, KenBee

that, when I finished it, I began to re-read.

Hemingway's terse succinct style has always appealed to me. Someday I'll go deep sea fishing, and I'll celebrate his world vision and the way he shared it.

Walking in Papa's footsteps is on my bucket list. Except for the shotgun ending.

Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length. -- Natalie Grant

by BusyinCA on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 08:33:01 AM PDT

•  "when I finished it, I began to re-read" is the (4+ / 0-)
          cfk, bookgirl, RiveroftheWest, KenBee

highest compliment we can pay a book.

There have been a few books where I discovered radical shifts of perspective two-thirds of the way through, and was tempted to go back and re-read the beginning immediately, to grok all things I'd missed.

I'd say wanting to re-read a book multiple times - which indicates that a book is deep, complex, and bursting with life - is the most reliable indicator of a great book.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 10:54:03 AM PDT

•  I never really liked his short stories... (5+ / 0-)
      cfk, Brecht, RiveroftheWest, jarbyus, KenBee

But then I am not really a fan of short stories in general.

However, I think for whom the bell tolls is probably his best novel by far and I really liked islands in the stream.

A movable feast is also one of my favorites and I do love old man and the sea.

There was a point in my life where I would have said Hemingway was my favorite author and I've read all of his fiction and non-fiction (I think).

Death in the afternoon is horribly dry and boring.  How that is possible I don't know given the subject matter.

Green hills of Africa and true at first light make for interesting reading about Africa.

I worked for an attorney once who had a client who grew up in Cuba.  That client told him a story about how Hemingway would sail to Cuba on his boat named Pilar (a character from for whom the bell tolls) and throw coins into the water for the children to dive for...

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf the Grey

by No Exit on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 12:57:07 PM PDT

•  I've mostly stuck to novels, the same way if you (4+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, KenBee, cfk, No Exit

go to a great restaurant, you order a three-course meal. If a writer's really worth reading, what can they come up with when they cook a whole feast?

But I just went for two years without a computer, and I found that affected both my attention-span and how I read. I swim deeper into the text than I used to. And I'm more flexible in how I look at books than I was. Perhaps I'm less trapped in my mental constructs, and am paying more attention to the words themselves.

Sorry, bit of a tangent there. Anyway, it seems to me that there are certain things that short stories are much better for than novels; also, there are a lot of authors who write better short stories than novels. Novels are a lot harder - you have to juggle and master many more aspects of the craft to make a novel that balances, flows, and holds together as a whole.

The biggest gaps in my awareness of literature are probably in poetry. There are so many flavors of magic there that I've never even tasted. I do feel very comfortable reading novels - I have all this experience, this whole structure of critical understanding, which makes it easy for me to grasp and gauge a novel.

Well done on reading all of Hemingway. He did have a firm sense of quality control. I haven't read Death in the Afternoon, but I know some critics think highly of it.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:54:20 PM PDT

•  Some authors who wrote short stories I liked (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, Brecht

Stephen king - Skeleton crew, Bachman books.  King in particular benefits from the constraints of a shorter format.

Milan kundera's laughable loves.  Great collection of short stories

Dh lawrence - very good short stories

Truman capote - music for chameleons

De Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Stanislaw lem (cyberiad is an amazing collection)...

I have the same blind spot for poetry.  I don't like to read it.  (Except for Ogden Nash).   I often suspect my reading habits have been changed/fragmented by by the online world and computers.

by No Exit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 08:49:46 AM PDT

•  I've read most of those authors, but not their (2+ / 0-)
            No Exit, RiveroftheWest

short stories. Though I greatly enjoy De Maupassant's, which are such gems. I've been planning to read Capote's collection, which gets so much praise. I read a collection of King's, but then found The Shining, which had so much more to it.

Last year I read collections by William Trevor and Eudora Welty, which were both exceptional. Also two very fine fantasy collections, by China Mieville and George R. R. Martin.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 04:04:00 PM PDT

•  I liked the game of thrones series. (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, Brecht

I so hope he gets a chance to finish it...

I will look into the others you mention.  I've heard some of the names.

by No Exit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 04:11:10 PM PDT

•  Game of Thrones is brilliant, but I'm on strike. (1+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest

I mean, I'm going to wait until he finishes before I start book 5 and what (I pray) comes after. Too many characters and subplots to hold fresh in my memory.

I'll probably do a diary in April on his wonderful Dreamsongs - two huge volumes of his best SF, Fantasy and Horror short stories and novellas.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 04:49:02 PM PDT

•  Death in the afternoon... (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, Brecht

Great title, but I didn't like it.
          Ny times 1932

On certain passages which in former days would have been called vulgar or even obscene it if difficult to pass judgment. One does not know whether they are wholly sincere or whether, on the other hand, Mr. Hemingway is trying to startle the little handful of literates who are still capable of being startled. As to the root philosophy that only death and procreation, and subjects related to them, are "simple" and "fundamental," no one reviewer can contribute much to that problem. On the whole it may be said that Mr. Hemingway's reactions to most subjects, whether proscribed ones or not, are at least vigorous and healthy. He is no more vulgar than life and shows as much good taste as death.

The book will certainly find its place on the shelves of Hemingway addicts. One's guess is that it will be less successful than the novels in making new Hemingway addicts. Action and conversation, as the author himself suggests, are his best weapons. To the degree that he dilutes them with philosophy and exposition he weakens himself.

by No Exit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 08:54:14 AM PDT

•  Critics... What do they know ;) (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, Brecht

They dint like cross the river and through he trees, but I did.

Sme with garden of Eden...

by No Exit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 09:00:20 AM PDT