View Diary: Dear Dumbass Gun Freaks (202 comments)

•  elections have consequences. (16+ / 0-)

words have meaning.

Guess they will be writing some new gun laws down your way.  Less restrictive ones to give felons legal access to guns.  It's a fundamental civil right after all.

•  Some here will be happy with that . (6+ / 0-)

How I learned to stop worrying and love the gun.
      I believe that people who are convicted felons (8+ / 0-)

KenBee, deedogg, Meteor Blades, Otteray Scribe, gerrilea, fuzzyguy, Robobagpiper, rockhound

for non-violent crimes should be able to own a gun. I believe we need to be careful in how we write these laws. I know pot felons and a girl who carries a felony conviction for check kiting from over 15 yrs ago. She has led an exemplary life since. She lives alone with her daughters and should be able to protect herself if she feels the need.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:49:07 PM PST

according to a recent poll I'm one of the few (7+ / 0-)

twigg, KenBee, high uintas, deedogg, Otteray Scribe, gerrilea, KVoimakas

percent of Americans who support returning gun rights to convicted felons. I also support returning voting rights. I include violent felons also.

People change.

My next door neighbor got in lots of bar fights as a young guy and failed to appear. Did 2 years. At the age of 60 he was very level headed no matter the circumstances. Guy would not get angry. I never felt anything but safe with my 2 young kids paying at his house with his granddaughter. Had a big assed pistol.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:19:39 PM PST

Drop the name-calling MB 2/4/11 + Please try to use ratings properly! Kos 9/9/11

by indycam on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:47:03 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry... (6+ / 0-)

..why is Otteray Scribe's name bolded here?

Is this copy-and-pasted from some "gotchya" posted earlier?

‎"Masculinity is not something given to you, but something you gain. And you gain it by winning small battles with honor." - Norman Mailer
        My Blog
        My wife's woodblock prints

by maxomai on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:24:36 PM PDT

•  Re: (4+ / 0-)

Deliberate misreading of both comments, seeing as both deal with the entirely separate subject of the restoration of rights.  Are you going to claim that unitas and ban nock were arguing a fundamental right of incarcerated felons to keep and bear arms?

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:55:09 PM PDT

•  You notice that MB rec'd it (8+ / 0-)

That's cus I was answering a question in a thread he was involved in. He and I were both in agreement that non-violent felons, say pot convictions, shouldn't have their rights taken away. You might want to read the whole diary, it wasn't long and there were good conversations in it.

Taking stuff out of context seems, I don't know... cheesy.

by high uintas on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 09:05:02 PM PDT

•  Funny (2+ / 0-)
          DefendOurConstitution, Smoh

You link to your diary in response to a comment that has a link to your diary ?

Some here will be happy with that . (3+ / 0-)

Jim Domenico, vcmvo2, FogCityJohn

How I learned to stop worrying and love the gun.

by indycam on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:27:31 PM PDT

•  Yes I did (2+ / 0-)
            PavePusher, Joy of Fishes

Because I was hoping some would read all of the comments, not just your cherry picked ones. I added another link, so what?

I believe I wrote a civil diary explaining my position and I believe that most of the comments were in the same vein. I think you were trying to score points.

by high uintas on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 08:13:07 AM PDT

•  So , what part of the quoted comment from you (0+ / 0-)
              I believe that people who are convicted felons (8+ / 0-)

by high uintas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:49:07 PM PST

is not a true and accurate representation of your true opinion ? What part of the unedited comment from you that was quoted in full , needs to be explained ? How is quoting your comment in full in any way shape or form a distortion ? Are you saying that your words , the words you wrote , are not a true and accurate representation of your own thoughts and opinions ? That for people to really understand your thoughts and opinions then needs to overlook what you said / wrote and need to see and read your real and true thoughts and opinions elsewhere ?

Please provide quote/s from the diary that will allow people to get a better understanding of

I believe that people who are convicted felons (8+ / 0-)

KenBee, deedogg, Meteor Blades,

Otteray Scribe
              , gerrilea, fuzzyguy, Robobagpiper, rockhound

by high uintas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:49:07 PM PST

by indycam on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 08:45:28 AM PDT

•  I didn't claim that any was untrue (1+ / 0-)
                Robobagpiper

But, this is the whole thread came about.

I believe that people who are convicted felons (8+ / 0-)

by high uintas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:49:07 PM PST

Agreed. Violent felons, however, should... (7+ / 0-)
                ..have to jump through megahoops to get their rights to possess firearms restored.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:20:51 PM PST

Yes (6+ / 0-)
                Great big megahoops. There would be no reason to give someone who is a serial abuser any weapon or someone who has used a gun in a crime, without serious reasons and assurances. I would be pretty hard ass about this.

by high uintas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:24:51 PM PST

by high uintas on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 11:50:07 AM PDT

•  people have different opinions (4+ / 0-)

and some would favor restoring rights to felons, not taking rights away from people for non-violent felonies that are the socially restrictive issue of the day, etc.

A reasoned choice, even if we disagree, at least has some thought and effort behind it.   This is the kind of stupid that the far right wingers trumpet without every thinking of what they are really saying.

As long as laws or enforcement of laws are susceptible of being used to oppress unwelcome minorities there will be room for exceptions.

I would have no problem with a rational legislative effort, non-violent felony no conviction or nolo contendre with 24 months, all rights of any kind restored, voting immediately.  Even a violent felony after a lengthier time, rights restored.    Because people sometimes do change and they need second and even third chances.   Some people are losers for life in that they never break away from violence.   It is a lot more effort to police the system but it would be fair.