View Diary: Obama Does It Again – Speech Humanizes Palestinians To The Cheers Of Israelis (VIDEO) (266 comments)

•  I read the original article (0+ / 0-)

and I have issues with the word "democracy" in quotes?  Is the author trying to be snide towards Israel?  Also, I think it's great the President humanized the Palestinians and the Israelis responded positively (so much for Israelis being a bunch of racist likudniks).  Now, what if Obama had made a speech similarly humanizing Israelis to an audience in Ramallah?  Would they respond as positively?  I think I know the answer to that.

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:46:48 PM PDT

•  What makes you think he didn't? What sense would (2+ / 0-)
      Celtic Merlin, christine20

it make if he didn't?

Your prejudices show, my dear. Please stow them away safely.

He who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

by Sophie Amrain on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:08:50 PM PDT

•  So, tell me.. (0+ / 0-)

did he?  I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.  After all, he was pressed for time.  However, my point still stands ... there are a lot of Israelis who do see the Palestinians as human and are sincere about peace.  Asking if that feeling is mutual is legitimate, no matter how condescendingly others may try and deflect it.

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:33:19 PM PDT

•  The answer, as in Israel, would (1+ / 0-)
          AoT

generally be yes. That being said, it's a bigger stretch for Palestinians given that they've been occupied and denigrated for 45 years.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 07:29:50 PM PDT

•  Another ignorant comment. (1+ / 0-)
            TLS66

And the Israelis have been besieged since the day they declared their independence.

Let's not pretend that there isn't enough vitriol and bad behavior on both sides please.

•  Israel is not besieged (1+ / 0-)
              AoT

And it's ridiculous to claim that there is any equivalence between what the Palestinians endure every day under the Occupation and the freedom enjoyed by Israelis.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:57:39 AM PDT

•  Israel is not besieged? (0+ / 0-)

What planet do you live on?  What other country is surrounded by neighbors near and not so near officially and unofficially that are mortal enemies.  Listen to what is routinely said by political figures in Iran, Gaza, the West Bank, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, etc etc etc.

Ever heard what the leaders of Iran have said about Israel?  Or the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt?

Are you that blind or just another apologist for Arab antisemitism?

What appalling ignorance.

•  I get it, your favorite word is "ignorance" (0+ / 0-)

Yes, we all know Israel isn't very popular in the neighborhood. But they're not Occupied by any of those countries, are they? If they were, you could make an equivalance with what the Palestinians contend with every day. To deny the profound difference between how Israelis and Palestinians live makes you sound, well, ignorant.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 12:08:27 PM PDT

•  Yeah...not very popular in the neighborhood (0+ / 0-)

What a euphemistic load of crap....Iranian-armed Hezbollah loaded to the gills with thousands of missiles...Gaza full of militants who would rather build and fire missiles into Israel than feed their children....Islamic fanatics in Egypt who emulate their brethren in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, etc screaming about killing all those Zionist Israeli pigs.

Being besieged has nothing to do with occupation in any sense.  Israel was besieged from 1948-1967, when by the way, the West Bank and Gaza were held in thrall by the Egyptians and Jordanians.

I guess history isn't your strong suit, along with critical thinking.

•  This is not a zero sum situation (0+ / 0-)

The Israeli-Palestinian relationship is not equal, so you cannot expect people to react the same on both sides.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:02:50 PM PDT

•  He did. (0+ / 0-)

That’s why we can’t give up, because of young Palestinians and young Israelis who deserve a better future than one that is continually defined by conflict. Whenever I meet these young people, whether they’re Palestinian or Israeli, I’m reminded of my own daughters, and I know what hopes and aspirations I have for them. And those of us in the United States understand that change takes time but it is also possible, because there was a time when my daughters could not expect to have the same opportunities in their own country as somebody else’s daughters.

What’s true in the United States can be true here as well. We can make those changes, but we’re going to have to be determined. We’re going to have to have courage. We’re going to have to be willing to break out of the old habits, the old arguments, to reach for that new place, that new world. And I want all the people here and throughout the region to know that you will have the President of the United States and an administration that is committed to achieving that goal.

"Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 09:49:57 AM PDT