View Diary: Dear Food Police (246 comments)

•  Isn't the SNAP the same program that feeds (4+ / 0-)

children?

I don't care what you eat. I really don't. You're an adult. Eat and drink what you want.  Consuming a very moderate amount of soda has been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer and two sodas per week can increase your risk ofpancreatic cancer by 87%.

When I read that second study, we stopped drinking soda pretty much entirely. Pancreatic cancer isn't like most cancers after all. It's almost always fatal.

I suppose that one can make the argument that if taxpayers are going to foot any part of the bill for increased healthcare costs now or down the road, taxpayers should have a say on what a SNAP recipient eats now.

But meh, I figure adults can make their own decisions.

The problem is kids.

Kids shouldn't be drinking soda at all. They certainly shouldn't be drinking sugary drinks, but nutrasweet is really bad for them too. How do we ensure that adult recipients get to consume what they want and that child recipients continue to be covered under stricter guidelines?

And don't tell me that we need to trust parents because I don't trust the judgement of many parents. I'm not picking on poor parents here. I'm saying MANY parents. I see the crap that people buy for their kids. I was standing in line at the store the the other day and the cart was full with crap like Go-Gurts, Frosted Flakes, Sunny Delight and other fake food products. I was at Costco. These products cost as much (or more) than real yogurt, cereal like oatmeal or Cheerios, and real orange or other juice, which Costco also sells.

Folks don't know what real food is. Or they give in to their kids who beg for it, kids who are subjected to relentless advertising.

I understand that SNAP covers crappy food like Mac&Cheese with frankencheese powder. But a lot of poor people live in food deserts, and options are often limited where they live.  So while I'd love to say we should tighten up standards even more, we also have to be practical.

So, eat and drink what you want. I sincerely wish you could.

But tell me how we keep kids healthy. Empty calories that are actually bad for their health (and therefore their ability to succeed in school, for starters)  does them, their families and America no favors.

© grover

by grover on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:37:27 PM PDT

•  (The cart of the woman ahead of me-- (2+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, Avila

someone with three young kids.)

My fingers moved too fast there and omitted a rather key fact there.

© grover

by grover on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:40:35 PM PDT

•  A couple of things. (7+ / 0-)

a) not all 'sugary drinks' are necessarily 'bad'. Especially depending on the kid. Sugary drinks have kept my son out of the hospital because he's a severe hypoglycemic and they boosted his sugar enough to keep him awake while I was making him something with protein and carbs in it. Water wouldn't have done it. He's allergic to milk. He needed the sugar.

b) If you want to control what kids eat, expand WIC. WIC already has that in place. Of course you can't buy store brands if they are cheaper, and you are limited in what you can get, and convincing them to give you milk you can use (not cow) even with a kid with an allergy is next to impossible.

c) Again you don't know what that parent is going through. Maybe the go-gurt is for those days she works early and she has to have the kids up and on the bus at 5am and they need something to eat while they are sitting at the bus stop. Maybe she gets Sunny Delight because it's better than soda and doesn't spoil as fast in sippy cups in the heat as milk or regular juice. Maybe the frosted flakes are for her to eat, dry after she drops the kids off at daycare so that she has something in her stomach before she gets to her job when she may or may not have a break in the first 6 hours.

So no, you don't get to decide what my kids can and cannot eat. Sorry.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 09:11:57 PM PDT

•  And no one asked me. (4+ / 0-)

I pay my taxes. I don't lobby about food assistance standards.

I do lobby like crazy that there should be more food assistance. I support a lobby group that works on behalf of those who need food assistance to ensure that benefits aren't being cut, that standards aren't being cut just to save money, that we're finding better ways to take care of our most vulnerable citizens.

I don't care what your kids eat. I certainly don't care what you eat.

But you might want to consider that I'm a friend in the larger war against those who need assistance in the fight against hunger. I don't know what the mother in Costco, you or any parent is going through. But I know what it's like to be so hungry that a shop owner pulls you aside because you're so thin and gray, and he hands you two large bags of vegetables, bread and cheese, and makes you promise to return next week for more. I know this and now that my husband and I are comfortable, we do everything we can to eradicate hunger in America.

You don't know who I am or what path I've walked. You don't know why I might care about what those who get food assistance eat. You might not know what I do to ensure that the hungry never get forgotten.

I'm not your enemy. I assure you.

© grover

by grover on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:34:09 PM PDT

•  I do see your point about bad food (9+ / 0-)

I do.

I'm an adult, and happen to be a freak male with no prostate to worry about and my pancreas kicks ass - I have to have a lot of blood work because of the kinds of medication I'm on.  My doctor doesn't begrudge me my DP because it makes me feel human and is not consumed in quantities that have any notable effects on my body.  It does have a very positive effect on my ability to cope with the pills and the crazy and the grinding, shuddering horror of being mentally ill and poor as a result of illnesses I can't control.

And these genes end here - I'm not subjecting a child to a mentally ill parent and the risk of an adulthood like my own.  There aren't enough safetynets in the world to make it okay for me to procreate - it's just not responsible.

I would LOVE to be able to afford the kinds of foods I like to cook for other people - to teach kids and adults how to enjoy cooking, shopping, preparing food - the basis of my desire to have a second career as a chef was a mum who loves to cook and is VERY health conscious about it - a diabetic younger brother will do that.  I didn't know until I was older that other people's mums didn't know how to cook or teach them - my brother is a damn fine cook as well.

But our society isn't geared toward making America or anywhere else a better place right now.  We pay farmers not to grow.  We subsidize shit and call it good eats.  We export murder, hate and obesity with a heaping side dish of shallow.  And it hurts me to see that this is the legacy of America.  But it's the truth.

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 09:17:00 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I get you. (4+ / 0-)

The agribusiness/food industry does not (with very few exceptions) care about health, but only profit. Its well-compensated politicians do what they need to ensure that this occurs every single quarter, fiscal year after fiscal year.

I honestly wish there were a way that for adults like you, that we could give you your allocation in cash. Pay your electric bill. Put gas in your car. Go to your local farmers market. Buy a nice bottle of wine.  Whatever you want to do with the money, do it.

But I follow very closely the health, hunger and education trends of America's children. Hunger is an issue I care very deeply about, and kids get hit really hard. Even when they eat calories, they're often malnourished, which affects their educations, which affects their whole lives.

I think you and I agree.

There should be a way that we could do both. It seems, though, like we can barely do the one program well though.  Where I live isn't so incredibly far from the region with some of the highest food scarcity in the country. Not Mississippi, not Alabama, not Lousiana, but the Central Valley of California, where over  25% of citizens    say they don't have enough money to buy food -- yup right in farmland of progressive California, who creates almost $15 billion dollars more in agricultural products than any other state.

Things are so just terribly wrong. But yes, a guy should be able to have a diet Pepsi (even if it is inferior to Diet Coke) whenever he wants.

/former diet coke addict.

© grover