View Diary: The political system is broken (287 comments)

•  did i write (0+ / 0-)

that you shouldn't vote for democrats?

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 09:57:47 AM PDT

•  No, you didn't (0+ / 0-)

But

"The political system is broken. The politicians will not fix it. The people must. There is no alternative."

How? Unless 100 million people march down Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, DC with pitchforks, shovels, iron bars, pikes, and yes, some with modern assault style weapons and sidearms, the politicians will go on ignoring the people and feed the rapacious appetites of the 1%.

This is what the democrats in the 1960s and 1970s feared. It is what the Reaganites used to usurp the system. They scared the shit out of the democrats with the specter of armed domestic insurrection if the democrats didn't kow tow to the Reaganites.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:15:25 AM PDT

•  on the other hand (0+ / 0-)

without any weapons at all, the occupy movement shook up washington. imagine if that was but the dress rehearsal.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:29:13 AM PDT

•  Then forget about me (0+ / 0-)

I'm not walking into a meat grinder without some means of defending myself.

And don't for a minute think they will be gently putting you in dog cages while they feed you filet mignon. No, whether you have weapons or not, you will be treated as if you do. You will be mowed down the same way that Bashar al-Assad is mowing them down in Syria. Think about it.

The only place your tactics will work is in western European countries. Britain, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, etc. Because those countries aren't the problem.

You need to read Malcolm X. This is from his wikipedia page.

"Malcolm X's expressed beliefs changed substantially over time. As a spokesman for the Nation of Islam he taught black supremacy and advocated separation of black and white Americans—in contrast to the civil rights movement's emphasis on integration. After breaking with the Nation of Islam in 1964—saying of his association with it, "I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then ... pointed in a certain direction and told to march"—and becoming a Sunni Muslim, he disavowed racism and expressed willingness to work with civil rights leaders, he continued to emphasize Pan-Africanism, black self-determination, and self-defense."

"Malcolm X declared that he and the other members of the Organization of Afro-American Unity were determined to defend themselves from aggressors, and to secure freedom, justice and equality "by whatever means necessary", arguing that if the government was unwilling or unable to protect black people, they should protect themselves."

The economic aggressors in the 1% will only respond to the threat of violence. To paraphrase many of our recent presidents in refering to Iran. All options should be on the table.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 11:51:39 AM PDT

•  violent revolutions (0+ / 0-)

tend to lead to violent governments. non-violent revolutions don't.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 11:54:01 AM PDT

•  My Point Exactly (0+ / 0-)

You have described 1776 perfectly.

violent revolutions tend to lead to violent governments. non-violent revolutions don't.

And our government is one of the most violent in history. it's up there with Rome and Greece in terms of violence perpetrated against innocent people.

And now look at what a jerk like Rand Paul believes. Employers literally have the power of life and death over employees. You have no means of legally fighting back against an employer who fires you if you won't do something that is dangerous and the employer won't allow you to use safety equipment. Then they come up with their magic free market nonsense that you go out in the labor market and find a new job with an employer who allows safety equipment. But beware the blacklist. According to Rand Paul blacklists are perfectly legal.
              And he has a mountain of legalese dating back to 1776 to back him up. And at least 30% of the population agrees with him, not to mention 4 or 5 judges on the supreme court. Sure, we have OSHA today and wage and hour laws but the forces of darkness are continually trying to repeal these.

To go up against forces of darkness and think that the messiah will protect you is foolish and shows you are a superstitious person who believes in magic.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51:56 PM PDT

•  the british empire (0+ / 0-)

was as violent as any in history. non-violence worked.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 01:13:46 PM PDT

•  First of All (0+ / 0-)

You have to fight fire with fire. Where I live in Arizona what do wildfire crews do to stop a wildfire? They set back fires to remove fuels.

You aren't reading your history books. After World Wars 1 and 2, Great Britain was in debt way over its head and had to, in effect divest. The problem in south Asia was how to divest without a bloodbath between the Muslims and Hindus. Ghandi was killed by a Hindu zealot who didn't want compromise with the Muslims.

I applaud the occupy movement. If I was a recent college grad over my head in debt that I was unable to pay back while Rand Paul was telling me all about the magic free market I would probably think like you too. But I'm 62 years old, disabled with spondylitis and living off $1000 a month in social security. That's it. Nothing else. But I was thoughtful enough to pay off my house when I was able to. So my only debt is a car payment. But I'm looking for a job now, I have 2 college degrees, both in technology, but I am stuck because I can't sell my house. If I did sell my house I would be homeless with a little more money in the bank but I would not be able to buy another, also I can't afford rent. And the stress of moving would put me over the edge. I would wind up an invalid. And where would I go, China?

So how am I supposed to deal with the magic free market? I can't and I get very little help from vocational rehab. Most of them are good decent people but they are limited because they are hemmed in by government policy and the magic free market. So I'm taking some classes at the local community college to get a 3rd party certification in computer networks. Guess what? Even if I do get a certification from Cisco or CompTia I still probably won't be able to find a job. So I volunteer at the local senior center teaching computer classes to seniors and I do some handicrafts.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 02:04:00 PM PDT

•  how about eye for an eye (0+ / 0-)

leaving us all blind?

our current system is as unsustainable as was the british. the iron curtain also fell, with relatively little bloodshed.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 02:14:19 PM PDT

•  How about turn the other cheek (0+ / 0-)

No matter how you slice and dice it our enemy is not the 30% or so of hard core republicans who think Rand Paul and Paul Ryan will usher in the new capitalist utopia. And neither is Glenn Greenwald who wants to usher in the new socialist workers utopia, with him at the top of the heap of course.

There never was an old capitalist utopia or old socialist workers utopia. The enemy was always the 1%. 2 thousand years ago it was the Roman 1%. Then it was the 1% of the Germanic tribes of northern Europe. Finally it was the 1% of the Catholic Church from the end of the 8th century until the middle of the 14th and the Black Plague.

I see a pattern here. All of these 1% kept the masses in ignorance, suffering, and poverty using superstition and the threat of magic. We still enable them today clinging to magical ideas that even as our economic enemies in the 1% slowly kill us off by fouling the air and water, exacerbating climate change, while the 1% live in unimaginaeable luxury, we tell them that even though they are our enemy, we love them. That somehow that will change them as if 4000 years of the 1% never happened. No, not the hocus pocus of turn the other cheek because when the Catholic Church took power and became the 1% they decided turn the other cheek was bad policy.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 04:52:52 PM PDT

•  here's to the new boss (0+ / 0-)

same as the old boss. there always will be 1%ers. the point is the neutralize them, and non-violent means have worked.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers