View Diary: Insomniacs' Vent Hole with Craig Ferguson (65 comments)

•  Tell him to stay safe (4+ / 0-)
    crose, MTmofo, dsb, sallym

Wasn't there a terrible crash at Whidbey recently? I lived in Seattle for 10 years and drove up there sometimes. Also, make sure to remind him to check out the tulips next month just east in the Skagit valley. I'm sure he knows about it and it must be a sight to see from the planes he works on.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:17:02 PM PDT

•  He's pretty safe wherever he goes (4+ / 0-)
      kovie, crose, dsb, sallym

since he's in the shop and not airborne.  He had two Dets. into Iraq but he was so far in-country in a lo-pop area the concerns were a bit difficult to keep as a matter of day-to-day vigilance.

There was a crash of a Whidbey based EA6B east of Spokane not long ago.

Thank you for your kind words and concern for his well-being.

"Go well through life"-Me (As far as I know)

by MTmofo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:25:28 PM PDT

•  My uncle sorta did what your son did in the IDF (4+ / 0-)
        crose, MTmofo, dsb, sallym

years ago. Wasn't allowed to elaborate much on it. Sounded skunks-worky.

As for staying safe, lots of wingnuts to watch out for out there--and not just the kind you lock onto metal bolts. Nice people though, if a bit withdrawn.

An Officer and a Gentleman was filmed out there, I believe.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:29:56 PM PDT

•  He has a good size advantage at Whidbey, (4+ / 0-)
          kovie, dsb, crose, sallym

since he's spent most of his 14 yrs stationed there.

break break, just FYI

I was a Hebrew linguist from 76-82 in the USAF. Spent 4 and a quarter years flying SIGINT collection missions over the Med.  Or transcribing tapes. Or hanging out in Glyfada Greece on my days off.

Small world.

"Go well through life"-Me (As far as I know)

by MTmofo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:36:51 PM PDT

•  Ma nishma, then, ya chabeebee? (4+ / 0-)
            crose, MTmofo, dsb, sallym

I was born in the land of milk and honey but have lived most of my life in the US. Had we stayed there, there's an outside chance you would have heard me talking on the walkie talkie as it was my generation that invaded Lebanon in '82, Israel's Vietnam. But this is a keep it light diary series so let's leave it at that. Well, we'll always have felafel.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:41:40 PM PDT

•  I didn't know that. (3+ / 0-)
            crose, MTmofo, sallym

Did you go to the language school in Monterey? I forget what it was called.

Good for MTmofoJr to have a decent job with an eye to the future. How long did he reup for?

•  I went to language school in a non-descript office (3+ / 0-)
              crose, sallym, dsb

building near BWI (Baltimore Washington) airport.  I would get on the bus at No Such Agency and show my 'non-cleared' badge to the nice Marine at the barb-wired gate.

At the time it was The Presidio at Monterey.  I wanted to trade languages with a gal from the east coast who was assigned Russian.  Women were not allowed to be in ANY combat based missions.  So that scotched that idea.

I'm not sure on the actual re-up number 5.5 to 6.5 years.  When you've been in that long, you might as go all-in.

"Go well through life"-Me (As far as I know)

by MTmofo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03:49 PM PDT