View Diary: Solar Probe Captures Sublime Cosmic Wonder on Video: A Comet, Earth, and the Sun Dancing Together (24 comments)

•  A handful still do, but only by coincidence. (6+ / 0-)

I.e., it happens to be the case that a greater private-sector role is beneficial at this point, largely due to the existence of Elon Musk, so you get a strange internal conflict between the likes of Dana Rohrabacher and the more establishmentarian types trying to cling to Apollo- and Shuttle-era infrastructure spread throughout the South.

I demand that you prove you're alive.

by Troubadour on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:49:15 PM PDT

•  Didn't most of the infrastructure get planted in (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, Aunt Pat

the South in exchange for votes (Democratic votes at that) when NASA and the race for the moon was first begun under Kennedy and Johnson?

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty - Edward R. Murrow

by Susan Grigsby on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:55:09 PM PDT

•  Yep. Johnson in particular insisted on it (4+ / 0-)

from the very beginning under Eisenhower, and only made it that much more of an iron rule as Vice President.

Both parties have establishmentarian interests in space exploration, and both have ideological sectors with very different interests in it.  Democrats are strongly aligned with the science and education infrastructures in their states - e.g., NASA Ames, Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Republicans with the NASA project centers like Marshall in Alabama that develop politically-directed hardware.

The different "values" based sectors that support space are each driven by a different science fiction vision - conservatives and libertarians by Heinlein, liberals by Clarke.  IMHO, Elon Musk, who is driving most of the private-sector progress in this area, has a vision that I'd call overwhelmingly Clarkean (i.e., vertically-integrated and vision-directed rather than blindly following money).

I demand that you prove you're alive.

by Troubadour on Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 11:07:46 PM PDT

•  I was a HUGE Clarke fan. (1+ / 0-)
          Troubadour

Didn't get into Heinlein until long after reading Clarke.  Course... later on his work did suffer a bit when he stopped writing most of it...

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 07:51:20 AM PDT

•  Heinlein isn't even in the same league as Clarke. (3+ / 0-)
            myboo, Larsstephens, detroitmechworks

He was at best a prototype who degenerated into alternate-universe psycho-babble.  Clarke, of course, moved to Sri Lanka and kind of lost interest in things - which he was entitled to do, since he was already a bit old by the time he wrote his best work.

I demand that you prove you're alive.

by Troubadour on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 08:28:46 AM PDT

•  I do enjoy some of Heinlein's work... (2+ / 0-)
              Troubadour, Neon Vincent

But he never had the ability to truly move me.  (Even my favorite book by Heinlein, J.O.B., didn't actually move me as much as manage to capture the feeling of utter frustration)  His work was enjoyable, but Clarke actually caused me tears at some points.

What I find even more amazing is how Clarke managed to do it without relying on the standard "Tear Jerker" tools.  His visual imagery did it.  The concept of consequences that he conveyed through images still stay with me to this day.

by detroitmechworks on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 03:32:43 PM PDT