View Diary: Charles Blow: The G.O.P.’s Bachmann Problem (153 comments)

•  Is it still lying when you've managed (14+ / 0-)

to convince yourself that you're not lying? When you do that often enough, does it become a mental illness? There's something about today's GOP where it's hard to tell when its members are willfully lying, when they're just stupid and don't know any better, and when they're just nuts. And they refuse to lose or admit defeat. They're like the team that stays on the field after the winning run or the clock runs out. Alas, the clock never runs out in politics.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:53:21 AM PDT

•  At this point I think many can truthfully be said (7+ / 0-)

to be showing their personality disorders.

•  No (5+ / 0-)

And, this is why Richard Nixon was morally superior to Ronald Reagan. When Nixon said,"I'm not a crook," you knew that he knew he was a crook. Nixon, in other words, had a conscience. Reagan, whose entire career was reading other people's words, never knew what the truth was.

People like Bachmann, and my Representative, Vicky Hartzler (she's like Bachmann but lacks Bachmann's IQ), really believe their shit doesn't smell. Remember with Fox News and hate radio their "truths" are reinforced.

[Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security] do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.

by MoDem on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 07:53:15 AM PDT

•  Heh, second comment here (1+ / 0-)
        Bridge Master

that refers to Bachmann's relative intelligence. Man, I don't see it. Shrewd enough to know where to push the buttons in her flock, but not smart.

Bachmann has seen to it that every race she runs has become a national race. The national media is a harder nut to crack for her than the fawning Star and Trib. These last days she's looked damn stupid up there, and she's reminded everyone why she almost lost. The woman is incapable of hunkering down and quietly helping her district, and a lot of them are beginning to notice. Not smart.

It may take another couple more elections to get rid of her, or not. But it's going to happen, I'm telling you. Michelle Bachmann is not smart enough to hang on to her seat.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 10:52:17 AM PDT

•  Irony challenged? (0+ / 0-)

I was trying to make a comment on how really stupid my US Representative is.

by MoDem on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:51:03 PM PDT

•  Sorry if I misunderstood you. (0+ / 0-)

It was this sentence that led me astray:

Sounded like a comparison to me. Bachmann's IQ---not something I've every thought to be particularly high, is torpedoed by her lack of EQ. I would bet the same is true of your rep, without much air between the two in terms of comparison

by StellaRay on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 09:07:59 PM PDT

•  It's OK (0+ / 0-)

I have been saying this for awhile and some don't understand the irony either.

Hartzler is really, really stupid and that is why she doesn't have the national profile of a Bachmann or Foxx or Broun or Cruz.

by MoDem on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 12:08:44 PM PDT