View Diary: Heartless NRA Harasses Sandy Hook Families on Assault Weapons Ban (133 comments)

•  Know any "sane" gunmen? (2+ / 0-)
    DefendOurConstitution, KVoimakas

I can't think of any.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 05:35:14 PM PDT

•  All those supposedly Responsible gun owners? (3+ / 0-)

No. A fascination with murderous weapons, delusions of gun heroics, the illusion of safe gun ownership, the raging paranoia that their toys are going to be taken away, their total disregard for the safety or sensitivities of others, Nope.
      gun ownership is itself, evidence of sociopathology.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:11:05 PM PDT

•  Question (3+ / 0-)
        VClib, DefendOurConstitution, Heiuan
        gun ownership is itself, evidence of sociopathology
        Does that extend to those of us who own a gun strictly to hunt?

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 09:45:53 PM PDT

•  I can't answer for CwV, but for me ans is NO, I (2+ / 0-)
          Mark Mywurtz, Beetwasher

know that there are a majority of gun owners that are truly responsible and that accept the accountability that comes with the right/power of owning a firearm.

When I grew up in the 60s we did not have anywhere near one gun for every person in our Country.  In addition, the guns were not able to fire dozens of rounds in a couple of seconds (semi-automatics were rare as most were rifles for hunting or revolvers).  Most importantly, gun owners were really proud of their safety training and insisted that safety rules we more important than the firearms themselves (I know as I was taught to shoot in the 1960s by several kind gun owners), these days it seems like some gun owners are just as proud of their ignorance on gun safety as Republicans are of their ignorance on so many issues.

I fully support the Second Amendment and individual right to own firearms.  That is in no way inconsistent with sensible regulations like full criminal background checks (on every sale/transfer), licensing and registration (clearly registering existing firearms is just about impossible, but we can start registering all new ones or ones that change hands).

Everybody's rights are equally important, but when the (real or perceived) Second Amendment rights result in having one American shot every 5 minutes we have a pandemic that must be addressed, and nothing in the Second Amendment precludes those regulations I suggest above.

I know that the great majority (I am sure well over 90%, even though I have no data to support it) of gun owners are indeed responsible, but when you have 80-100 million gun owners, it takes a very small percentage (like 1 or 2 percent) to create an environment where millions of people are put in extreme danger.  Sadly we cannot legislate stupidity, so we have to have equal regulations for all - just like speed limits or drunk driving laws clearly are not needed for a great majority of drivers, but we all put up with it as it makes everybody safer.  This is why I mock "responsible" gun owners using quotation marks - people that leave a loaded gun on a table in a house with young children, people that give/sell guns to felons, people that act as vigilantes, people that don't secure their guns so that mentally ill or criminals can get their hands on them, or people that just do plainly stupid things with them.

I will end by saying that I am against any total ban or confiscation, not that those could happen in the rest of my lifetime, as these would be even worse. Prohibition is not the answer, national sensible regulations are.

Final answer: I will defend your right to owning firearm(s) for hunting (or self-defense or as a collector), every single day - as long as you are responsible and accountable for any damage/injury caused by your firearm(s) to others.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 04:28:52 AM PDT

•  Do you hunt for food? (0+ / 0-)

Killing for sport is a different kind of sick.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:02:00 AM PDT

•  Just meat. (0+ / 0-)

I eat very little meat and strongly believe that wild game, fish, (and meat raised locally and with fewer hormones/antibiotics) are safer, more healthful, environmentally friendlier, and far more humane for the animal than anything you'll buy in the grocery store or anything that says Hormel, ConAgra, or Oscar Meyer on the package.  Anything I shoot makes it to the table--I have no desire to kill, say, a wolf to put a pelt on my wall.  I don't have any animals or parts of animals on display and I don't have a lot of respect for trophy hunting in general as I could never justify killing a creature to make it into a decoration.

None of my guns are automatic or semiautomatic (not that I'm demonizing all semis, just stating).  None of them have high capacity magazines.  I believe that weapons with the ability to fire far more rounds in a short amount of time than you could ever possibly need when hunting should be banned yesterday.  I keep my guns locked with a trigger lock when not in use and have little expectation that they will be of any use to me in a self-defense situation.

I support stronger gun regulations and haven't seen anything at all proposed by the democrats that would hinder my ability to hunt.  The 2nd Amendment doesn't matter one bit to me--other than it's an obstruction to smarter gun laws--as it's perfectly clear to me that it has nothing whatsoever to do with hunting.

I am nauseated by the NRA, offended by 'slob' hunters and gun fetishists, and hopeful that nobody thinks those nutjobs speak for me.

For me, my guns are not FREEDOM!!!, they aren't a political statement, they aren't power, they aren't really anything other than a tool that allows me to hunt, not unlike a fishing rod is a tool that allows me to fish.  Except that the responsibilities and safety rules that come with a firearm are much greater.

I see the gun rights extremists as not only a threat to the rights over everyone else to be safe from violence, but in the long run I also see them as a threat to my ability to walk a trail and take a few grouse, sit in the bullrushes waiting for a flock of bluebills to come in, or harvest a deer.  It's the completely bonkers NRA types--as well as the atrocities committed with the absolutely needless assault rifles and high capacity handguns they defend over all other rights--that are driving gun law reform proponents so farther in the other direction than we might otherwise need.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:02:43 AM PDT

•  That I can understand, though I won't participate. (0+ / 0-)

Where I live we have a few subsistence hunters and many too many deer considering the human encroachment on their habitat. The real hunters here pride themselves on one-shot kills and they take the deer home with them for food.
              But, we also have "hunters" roaming the woods with guns that shoot at noises. A friend of mine painted the word COW on the sides of her cows and even then, one of them was shot! So I have very little respect for most of the hunting crowd as a result. I've come across dead deer in the woods with just the top of the scull cut off to take the antlers. The rest of the deer is left to rot.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:14:52 AM PDT

•  Yeah, there are slob hunters (0+ / 0-)

Just like there are slobs in every group of people.  It's unfortunate.  I ran across the same thing last year--2 deer carcasses along a trail with the skull plate / antlers and a tiny amount of meat missing.

Around here, the deer population is so thick, forests are being negatively affected as certain native tree species are difficult to regenerate because the deer prefer them as browse.  There is definitely an upside to hunting in these instances.

As I said before, I really hate the fact that while I try to do the right thing regarding guns and hunting, some people will think that the NRA speaks for me (because the NRA runs around claiming that bullshit) and that slobby Bubba hunters represent me (I hate them more than I could ever hate an anti-hunter).

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:27:56 AM PDT

•  That puts you in a very rare category (0+ / 0-)

an actual Responsible Gun Owner.
                  So when you hear me rail against gun owners, I don't mean you.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:33:48 AM PDT

•  They aren't THAT rare (1+ / 0-)
                    KenBee

but they aren't anywhere near as loud as the gun extremist NRA fucksticks who claim to speak for them.  I know plenty of hunters with similar attitudes to mine about hunting and guns.  Really.

It's just hard to tell because they aren't screaming on the internet or parading around at teabbagger rallies with misspelled, borderline-violent right-wing signs.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72