View Diary: Unbelievable: Anti-gay Michelle Shocked is threatening to show up at her canceled show tonight (153 comments)

•  She apparently seems to have (45+ / 0-)

SEVERE mental or emotional problems, if her behavior on twitter over the past week is any indication.

She keeps using "f-gs" and "f---ots" - correcting her quote as being 'God hates f---ots' not 'f-gs'.  As someone said it's as if someone went to the Apollo Theatre and either for reasons of really bad performance art and/or severe mental illness thought it would be ideal to shout out "Hey N---ers how y'all doin'?"

Her behavior a couple days ago on twitter was severely manic and twisted. She was lying, insulting people left & right, literally keeping some twisted score that only she understands, etc etc etc.

I'm a layman and I don't know what her personal situation is but it appeared she was in need of immediate medical attention and almost everyone who was  tweeting to her was saying the same thing - 'Get help now, you have very serious problems.'

In all honesty I pray that no children are dependent on her for safety & security, and that she never gets near automatic weapons.  (Yes, it was that bad and those who saw it unfold on twitter the other day would agree.)

The thing that really killed her was the 22-minute audio, which shows her unraveling into a hyperreligious homophobic meltdown of some sort, that was neither ironic nor misinterpreted as her dishonest statements indicated.

Real bad stuff.  She is also tweeting that she plans on showing up in Wisconsin for a gig that WILL be cancelled once the club owner (who's off grid and out of the country) returns, hears the details, and makes the decision.

'Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive' - VP Joe Biden

by RobertInWisconsin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 03:58:20 PM PDT

•  Is this dissociative disorder or decompensating? (6+ / 0-)

I.e. a mental breakdown?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:03:21 PM PDT

•  I wondered about dissociative disorder too (13+ / 0-)

the way she seemed not to know what she had said on stage, but after reading the transcript of that spin interview, I wondered more about bipolar disorder..  Something is clearly up.  She needs help.  It's sad to see this happening and right out there for all to see.  Yet, hard to tear myself away, like driving past a car accident.

Lots of people with Bipolar disorder are highly creative, and it's one where people do tend to go off their meds with some regularity.

•  It is my belief that she has mental illness. (10+ / 0-)

Which makes all of this so, so sad. She has completely ruined her career, and the woman needs help. I'm sorry. I can't beat her up right now. I'm not sure she is really cognizant of what she has done.

•  I understand your feelings. (3+ / 0-)
            mamamedusa, Tackle, kurt

However, I was a bit put off by her "apology" statement, which wasn't all that "rambling" to me.

In fact, it was rather cunning, a slippery spin on what she said and why she said it. Kind of hard to believe she's totally out of it, yet able to issue a pretty standard non apology that works very hard to make her the victim---and to tell people they didn't hear what they clearly heard.

I have a very dear friend who has been a therapist for decades, and a very good one. Her position is that with the exception of a very thin minority of cases, people with mental disorders must take responsibility for their actions, and are capable of doing so.

She disallows any rudeness, incivility, or uncalled for outbursts in her sessions. She simply dismisses her patients at this point and essentially says, come back when you can behave yourself. And much of the time, they do just that, and pay attention to her rules.

Her position is that the courts have a term "criminally insane"
            for a reason, and also that those same courts rarely accept that as a defense for criminal behavior, because in fact, most people with mental disorders DO understand the difference between right and wrong despite their issues.  She feels people with mental disorders need the support of those who believe they are "well enough" to do better. And she has an impressive record of patients who have done quite well with that expectation.

I don't know what up with Michelle, but she was well enough to book herself a national tour. Well enough to show up and perform her first set without ANY sign of mental illness.  Then came the second act, and presto!, an anti gay tirade. She was then well enough to issue an "apology" that twisted things to suit her needs.

I hope she gets help, and not from the religious fundamentalists she has hooked herself up with. Her life can go on, and she can get better. But there's no easy out and it won't get any easier if folks disable her from taking responsibility for her actions.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 10:02:33 PM PDT

•  She sounds (1+ / 0-)
              AmBushed

Like a terrible therapist.

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 03:23:36 AM PDT

•   I figured someone would (0+ / 0-)

pipe up with that. If you're looking for a therapist who will treat you like a victim, who will assume you're stuck with being fucked up, and incapable of better more productive behavior, she's not your gal.

She is however, one of the most warm and empathetic people I've ever known. I think her patients feel that too. She's certainly had a long and very successful career.

by StellaRay on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 09:46:43 AM PDT

•  I was thinking the same thing (1+ / 0-)
      raincrow

Something is not quite right upstairs.

261.A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience. -Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

by MaikeH on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 08:55:39 PM PDT