View Diary: Abbreviated pundit round-up: Justice and commonsense needed in immigration reform (67 comments)

•  supporting the war (33+ / 0-)

was cool and a sign of seriousness?  And this man has a job while millions do not.  Chait nicely avoids the entire concept of accountability and consequences.

The piece from Haaretz is encouraging; there is still the voice of sanity in the land of Israel.  It's usually drowned out but still there.

Justice For Will Will spent his brief, courageous life fighting for the rights we all take for granted. Please share his story to support the fight!

by KibbutzAmiad on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 04:15:07 AM PDT

•  This quote (23+ / 0-)
      The people demanding apologies today will find themselves being asked to supply apologies of their own tomorrow.”
      is also revealing.  So what iif people demanding apologies must themselves apologize? It's what you do when you are spectacularly wrong in a way that catostrophicly affects the lives of others.  Our pundit class is very like the rest of our wealthy class, totally insulated from the actual consequences of their actions.

If the Republicans ever find out that Barack Obama favors respiration, we'll be a one-party system inside two minutes. - Alan Lewis

by MadRuth on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 04:48:18 AM PDT

•  Accountability and consequences (3+ / 0-)
      Heart of the Rockies, Amber6541, AoT

do not apply to the rich, the powerful, and the well-connected. They're for the little people.

The GOP can't win on ideas. They can only win by lying, cheating, and stealing. So they do.

by psnyder on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 05:37:52 AM PDT

•  Since Chait is one of my favorite (3+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, ratcityreprobate, thomask

writers, and I don't trust people who boil down an entire column to two or three facile phrases, I went and read his column for myself.

I made other errors in my analysis that I should have known at the time. I thought many — even most — of the arguments for war were terrible: jingioistic waving of the 9/11 bloody shirt, the use of Saddam’s brutality as an emotional bludgeon, and worse. What’s more, I also thought that the anti-interventionist left’s sociological analysis of the debate taking place was correct. Somehow, supporting the war was cool and a sign of seriousness, creating waves of social pressure on politicians and commentators in a way that prevented a fair debate.
      I didn’t write any of these things at the time. Why not? I can certainly blame what was then, for me and my colleagues, the pre-blogging age. We still wrote at a print magazine pace, which meant publishing a story every couple of weeks. I had many more unpublished thoughts, and I didn’t prioritize dissecting the arguments of people with whom I agreed on the bottom line. But publication schedules don’t fully excuse me here. I wasn’t afraid to alienate my colleagues, editors, and employer, but I didn’t go out of my way to do it, either. I have a lot of regret for this.

Amazing what you find when things are read in context.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 06:37:35 AM PDT

•  Funny how that print publication didn't stop... (1+ / 0-)
        skohayes

...other writers from actually getting their thoughts into print. But Chait somehow couldn't? What bullshit. Here he is in September 2006, when the war was three-and-a-half years along, under the headline A liberal hawk strikes back :

The liberal wing of the party has long been aware that although Democratic voters are generally dovish, the party's foreign policy elite is fairly hawkish. Liberals, understandably, want to depose that hawkish elite and replace it with a dovish one. Flynt Leverett, a foreign policy advisor to John Kerry, complained that "Democrats have fallen into a 'soft neoconservatism' that has dulled the party's voice on foreign policy." John Tirman, in his book, "100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World," writes, "When I see a liberal hawk, I smell a rat."

The Iraq debacle (which most liberal hawks supported) has given the doves new ammunition. In some ways it resembles the fallout from the Vietnam War, when liberals such as George McGovern -- who were skeptical of the Cold War -- unseated the Kennedy-era hawks who had led the country into a quagmire in Southeast Asia. One difference between Vietnam and Iraq is that the former was conducted mostly by Democratic administrations, while the latter has been conducted by a Republican one. Liberal hawks (like me) believe that this mostly absolves us; it wasn't us who conducted this debacle.

Doves, naturally, want to hang the war around our necks anyway. They say blaming Bush is a cop-out. Last year, Sam Rosenfeld and Matthew Yglesias wrote an article in the American Prospect attacking those who fault the conduct of the Iraq war. "Administration bungling," they wrote, "is simply not the root source of America's failure in Iraq." Those hawks who believe otherwise, they wrote, are engaging in what they called the "incompetence dodge" -- a phrase that continues to circulate among liberal doves.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 02:22:35 PM PDT

•  During the invasion of Iraq, (3+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, thomask, coppercelt

I got into a fierce argument with a co-worker when I told him that there no WMD. He told me that I would have to apologize when the WMD were found.

He never mentioned it again.

Just when you thought there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between the two parties, the Republicans go and prove you're wrong.

by shoeless on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 06:44:07 AM PDT