View Diary: DKos Tour Series: White Sands National Monument (92 comments)

•  Thanks for this, richholtzin. (1+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest

Do you have anything planned for Monahans Sand Dunes or the Roswell/Carlsbad region?

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 03:41:14 PM PDT

•  Carlsbad. . .yes. . . (2+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, BlackSheep1

coming up next week if someone in this community doesn't first cancel my ticket for posting same. The Monahans Sand Dunes, alas, I am not that familiar with, that is, to write a diary on same. How about if I look at the subject matter and at least study and consider posting a diary some day, BlackSheep1? I sense a passion and interest in you for even recommending it, and how I love and respect passion from others given what they enjoy learning and hearing about. I also enjoy the challenge of learning something new. I am mostly a Colorado Plateau hiking fool, and if memory serves, these sand dunes are somewhere in Texas???

Anyway, thank you for posting your comments and suggestions. Carlsbad should be posted sometime next week. Kartchner Caverns, I assure you, won't be too far in the future, depending on how the community relates to the much larger Carlsbad Caverns (and, of course, bats and spelunking of a sort).

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:31:52 PM PDT

•  Well, yes, "somewhere in Texas" ... but they reach (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

up toward New Mexico north -- skips and outcrops on both sides of Kermit and clean out nearly to Ft. Bliss. Gypsum sand.

TPWD has a park there, but if I were a geology buff (instead of a parks buff, generally; if you haven't been there yet, go to Balmorhea sometime. The cienega will give you a whole new perspective on deserts and water) I'd be thinking the dunes are similar to White Sands.

You'd be doing me a favor, writing something on Carlsbad. Should the Sand Dunes or the Guadalupe Mountains draw your interest, I'd be obliged to read those tours, too.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:33:14 PM PDT

•  I'll add it to my list. . . (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, BlackSheep1

your encouragement to get me to the Kermit, Texas area. That place I know about because my former boss, at the U. S. Forest Service, had this appellation for a first name. I have been meaning to get back to Big Bend, anyway, so what's a detour here and there, just to see more dune country? And, yes, Balmorhea and the Cienega, I know about. I'm a desert and canyon rat, besides. Something fascinates about such a living, yet in a way, sterile, environment. And by the way, I have decided to post Carlsbad, the diary, tomorrow. One of our community contributors, a Rescue Ranger, mentioned this and other places in that vicinity, and to take the slow roads to see the wonder of such places.  I am finishing the research today and will get on that posting by tomorrow sometime; maybe 9, and maybe as late as 3. Anyway, thank you so much for the tips and the embedded information. And, yes, the Sand Dues, like the Guadalupe Mountains does peak my interest. I climbed those 'dry' mountains one time and damn near ran out of water. A lovely view from the summit, let me tell you. Gorgeous country all the way around.

by richholtzin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:11:07 AM PDT

•  when my kids were high-schoolers, (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

we went out to the Caverns on a weekend jaunt. You could see all the way to Guadalupe Peak from the Cavern's upper parking area.

Can't do it now. Too much junk in the atmosphere. Over the last several years, the daylight view towards Juarez from El Paso has deteriorated, too. I think it's the coal plants.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 03:57:00 PM PDT

•  fossil fuel and a carbon-buildup. . . (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, BlackSheep1

a double whammy for this ailing planet, yet people turn a blind eye (and a somewhat blurred vision) to such stuff as needs to be done. . .alternative energy sources, for instance. When I first popped on the Colorado Plateau scene in 1970, the acuity of any given view on a clear day was around 110 miles. From the eastern shores of the Grand Canyon that huge, round and black laccolith, Navajo Mountain, was plainly visible on the horizon. I think the average viewing distance today is something like 60 miles. So, your thoughts on the matter are received at this end, BlackSheep1. Thanks for posting the memories of a time way back when. . .etc.

by richholtzin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 04:01:13 PM PDT