View Diary: Scallion Pancakes with Asparagus & Bacon (18 comments)

•  Incredible recipe!!! (6+ / 0-)

Thank you.  I'm avoiding white or any color flour because I seem to gain 3 pounds overnight if I eat an ounce of it.  I do, however, have friends who love marvelous recipes like this one.  And I love to cook for them.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 03:42:15 PM PDT

•  I believe you're in CT, (2+ / 0-)
      gchaucer2, Aunt Pat

as am I, so feel free to invite me over for yummy recipes you'd rather not eat anytime. :P

•  We really need to do a (2+ / 0-)
        itskevin, Aunt Pat

regional get together.  I know the State is small but you and I know the difference between Danbury and Mystic!!

Phil S 33 is leaving in a month -- sadly, I can't make the April get together.  Check it out in the NEW DAY diaries.

Other than that -- I'd love to cook for someone other than myself!  As long as you aren't allergic to cats.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:08:59 PM PDT

•  Sorry, I'm in Oregon (2+ / 0-)
        gchaucer2, Aunt Pat

"Seed corn. It's what's for dinner!" Republican philosophy of governance

by madame damnable on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:55:35 PM PDT

•  Back in the '70s (2+ / 0-)
          itskevin, Aunt Pat

I drove through and camped in Oregon.  Cross country trip in a potentially exploding Pinto with a roomate.

We drove up the coast which was gorgeous in low clouds -- rain clouds about 2 inches from our tent.  I wish I had spent more time there.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:08:36 PM PDT

•  I wonder whether you could (0+ / 0-)

use a commercially prepared gluten-free flour to make the pancakes. It's expensive, but for the occasional treat--and this sounds like a fine one--it could be worth it.

Like you, I avoid, most of the time, regular flour-based goodies and have experimented some with making my own GF flour for muffins. Those turn out well, but not my attempts at making a loaf of bread, and I have no idea how pancakes would turn out.

I'll bet teh google could tell us, though. ;)

Being the single intellectual in a village of 1,100 souls ain't much fun, especially when 1,099 of those don't think you're all that smart.--Lucy Marsden

by Miniaussiefan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 03:38:14 AM PDT

•  I would absolutely make these gluten free (1+ / 0-)
        Miniaussiefan

There is only 3/4 cup of flour because these pancakes are all about the ricotta. They are very moist and the flour just serves to hold them together. I have been experimenting with store bought GF mixes and have been generally happy. So try them GF and let me know.

Gluten free mixes work best in recipes that have a lot of other ingredients. Bread is particularly hard because it is ALL flour, whereas pancakes or cookies or coffee cake have lots of other ingredients.

"Seed corn. It's what's for dinner!" Republican philosophy of governance