View Diary: Ford Ads Show Women Bound and Gagged in Trunk (74 comments)

•   Steubenville. Rape is a universal crime. India (7+ / 0-)

hasn't cornered the market on rape.  India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, is getting a lot of news coverage on a few rape cases that happened there right now, that's all.

Most rapes don't get reported, let alone news media coverage, because victims of sexual assault know they will be bullied, humiliated, and harassed if they dare to talk about it.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:37:43 AM PDT

•  I'm not going to get into a discussion of 'which (14+ / 0-)

cultures devalue women's lives more.' Rape statistics are, of course, notoriously unreliable. So many rapes are never reported; so many kinds of rape--marital rape, incest, forced underage marriage, etc.--are not even fully recognized as rape under the laws of some countries. And the US has some of the most pathetic policies in the world in terms of supporting women's rights in a positive way, such as no mandated maternity leave...only one of four countries on earth in that pathetic category.

I will just say this: I love to travel. All sorts of adventurous, exotic places are on my dream destination list. I would politely decline a free trip to India, however. I have no desire to go there. None whatsoever. Only a handful of countries on the planet make my no-way-no-how list.

Sorry. It's just how I feel.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:47:07 AM PDT

•  As someone who's been there twice (6+ / 0-)

and loves a number of people who were born there, that's just a wee bit ignorant.

•  I would love to go to the Taj Mahal. I would love (12+ / 0-)

to go to India.  I had the opportunity once, but I couldn't afford it.

There was a rapist rampant at my university.  I didn't blame the school.  I lived in an all female dorm and I used to go downstairs before I went to bed and lock up all the doors.  One of the girls, who was a bully, used to wedge the door open below my room.  I could see light streaming out when I looked out my window and would go down and shut the door.

She screamed at me for this and said I was jealous because I didn't have a male visitor at night.  She got the whole dorm to vote to allow her to prop open the door, but I kept locking the door anyway.  Many girls apologized to me for voting with her, but said they were afraid of her.  I felt that if they voted for something that was dangerous, that didn't turn it into law.

Well, to make a long story shorter, the rapist was caught trying to break into our dorm.  If I hadn't locked that door, he could have raped and killed one of us.  He disfigured his last victim and told her he was going to kill the next woman he raped.

I was a university cop (actually, I was a meter maid!) and had the use of police call boxes.  I told the dean of students that if anyone could use the call boxes (this was before cell phones!), it could make the campus safer and he told me he was going to think about that idea.

The next time I went down there, there were call boxes all over campus for anyone to use in case of emergency.

I think the best thing to do is try to make things better and live your life to the fullest by taking precautions.  If I had quit school out of fear of that rapist, I wouldn't have a diploma and I would have missed out on a lot of wonderful times.

I made my university a safer place in response to the rapist.  I did what I thought was best, despite what the intimidated crowd voted for, I locked that door, and I am proud of that.

I won't let anyone intimidate me from some day seeing the Taj Mahal!  Some day, when I have the opportunity and finances, I hope I go!

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:12:26 AM PDT

•  When you find yourself at the bottom of a hole... (3+ / 0-)
          CIndyCasella, oakborn, mikejay611

Stop digging.

-Jay-

•  Thanks, Jay. That's a good motto. n/t (1+ / 0-)
            glorificus

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:24:27 AM PDT

•  Please peruse my 25,000+ comment history (2+ / 0-)
            CuriousBoston, JayBat

for this extensive 'hole' of cultural condescenscion and racism you seem to see.

I await your full report.

I simply expressed my personal discomfort, as a woman, for traveling to a country where I would feel unsafe. Recent high-profile rapes and these disgusting ads are but the tip of the iceberg. Have you studied Indian road accident statistics or seen footage of driving practices? Is it possible that I might just not feel comfortable in extremely overcrowded places, because of personal phobias? That I have a medical condition that makes me physically intolerant to extreme heat? I didn't mention any of these things. You don't know a fucking thing about me, but you tossed me so quickly--like a bound & gagged Kardashian--into the bottom of a hole.

Nice.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 12:45:18 PM PDT

•  Don't forget (0+ / 0-)

Selling lethal filthy knockoffs of Rx drugs which have been manufactured without any form of stringent quality controls -- cheapass surgical excursion trips, crap dentists and surgeons shovelled through other countries' qualification procedures, THEIR PROVIDING SHIT CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTERS FOR US CORPORATE wage and tax evaders... one could go one, but one won't.

I fart in your general direction. Now run away before I taunt you some more

by Adelante on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 03:42:56 PM PDT

•  earicicle, my apologies (0+ / 0-)

My comment failed the true+kind+necessary test, and I apologize, period.

-Jay-

•  of indian heritage (5+ / 0-)

and having visited many times, i can only say that the publicising of 2 rapes (not that this is insignificant) is not a reason to not visit ... india is a magnificent country with an amazing history and culture ....

how many rapes occur in the u.s?   ... how many people are shot every day in the u.s.?

any place in the world can be dangerous, including the u.s. ...

•  There is a difference (3+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, MaikeH, earicicle

In the US most rapes are committed by a man that the women knows - often quite well. Because of that, rape is notoriously hard to prove to the satisfaction of a Judge or Jury. The kind of rape that is making the headline in India is rare in the US. This is when a complete stranger or strangers grabs a women off the street and violently rapes her. This kind of rape is actually fairly easy to prosecute in the US if the women reports it right away. India has also made headlines with rapes that were committed in front of the women's companion. That kind of rape almost never happens in the US and if it does is almost certainly done by somebody who is insane. Since there is a witness, it is very easy to prosecute.