View Diary: RKBA: Some good gun news (253 comments)

•  I would be fine with barring churches, period. (7+ / 0-)

Though we'd have to get rid of that religious freedom thing...

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 09:51:06 AM PDT

•  exactly! (5+ / 0-)

Warning - some snark above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 Acedia is essentially a flight from the world that leads to not caring even that one does not care

by annieli on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:03:46 AM PDT

•  Well, and freedom of speech and assembly (1+ / 0-)
      PavePusher

and most of the rest of the edifice of our civilization.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:05:30 AM PDT

•  In a completely historical context the "edifice" (7+ / 0-)

of our civilization is not at all what I'd describe as "civil" or even close.  Religion has brainwashed and poisoned the minds of billions of humans.  It pits father against son, man against woman and nation against nation.  It has killed hundreds of millions for and because of it's "teachings". It's allowed and promoted some of the most heinous acts humanity has ever known AND it continues to do so to this very day.  See stoning, see four-horse quartering, see burning at the stake, see slavery, etc.

The American "civilization" is not based upon religion so it shouldn't be that hard to abolish it and surely our 'civilization" could withstand it's departure.

by gerrilea on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:21:20 AM PDT

•  *hug* nt (2+ / 0-)
          gerrilea, PavePusher

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:24:20 AM PDT

•  Your principles confuse me to no end! n/t (1+ / 0-)
          gerrilea

by jeff in nyc on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 05:33:26 PM PDT

•  Really? We don't have to be religious to have a (3+ / 0-)
            PavePusher, noway2, KVoimakas

sense of morality.  Do no intentional harm to others, it's a really basic concept I strive to live up to each day.

I do believe the Constitution must be followed as long as we've got it.  My personal distaste for religion doesn't negate that piece of paper however.  I would defend to the death your right to speak your mind, practice your faith and be free.  Even when I would disagree with what you say, do or believe.

In the hodgepodge of our differences humanity will most certainly progress forward and that's all I can hope for, that we become better than we once were.  Despite religion's poisons, man is slowly doing so, IMO.

Do I make any sense yet???

Hope all is well with you Jeff, haven't seen you in a while here.

by gerrilea on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 07:11:20 PM PDT

•  Religion has been poisonous much of (0+ / 0-)

the time. I don't think you understand what I was saying, though, about freedom of speech/consciousness/religion. It is absolutely within the context of the English civil wars that we designed our Constitution, and it is exactly the prohibition on establishment of religion that our agreement between New England and the South could take place. England had been suffering over religious issues for a long, long time. Catholics were burned at the stake, while Anglicans and Presbyterians and Puritans shifted around trying to kill each other as well. The North was founded largely by the Puritans/Presbyterians while the South by Church of England

We came together as a nation to fight unfair taxation and the imposition of religion on the subjects.

The idea that anything like compulsory atheism should happen in this or any free country is anathema, and as far from any understanding of freedom and liberty as I can imagine.

by jeff in nyc on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:12:21 PM PDT

•  While I'd love to see religion have no protections (1+ / 0-)
                KVoimakas

I don't wish for anything to be forced upon anyone, as in compulsory atheism.  Religions are given special rights and exemptions that they should not enjoy, IMO.

Its not "equity under law", as I would understand it.  The government grants them a revered place in this society and that's a problem.  Let my beliefs be given such status, then it'd be fair.

Does this make any sense???

;)

by gerrilea on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 09:13:28 PM PDT

•  And, no, you still do not make any sense:-) (0+ / 0-)

by jeff in nyc on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:13:12 PM PDT

•  1/2 snark for a point. (6+ / 0-)

I don't support repealing the freedom of religion part of the 1st amendment.

I also deplore theism/religion with a passion that outweighs pretty much my hatred for anything short of a rapist.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth