View Diary: Dick Durbin's new Social Security reform commission (Social Security Defenders blogathon) (205 comments)

•  Flat out (11+ / 0-)

accurate, joe.  I don't think I have ever seen such a clear illustration of the deference to the masters than this performance by Durbin.

Notice how many times he talks about how to push Democrats into going for this, how to fool the people into it.  He is very confident that they can convince the people to swallow this with little protest.  $3.50 a month.

Take notice and you will find a number of people in the comments here at dkos throwing that same kind of rhetoric around.  It's important to keep pushing out those other analyses about the cumulative effect of chained CPI, etc.

Also, keep in mind that chained CPI is only part of it.  Raising the retirement age again is also on the table and Durbin indicates that they are not going for one or the other, but both cuts.  There might be some more recommendations for SS cuts in the Simpson-Bowles plan too, I'm not sure, but I am sure that whatever is in there will show up again in this commission.  I doubt they will even have many meetings.   Basically they just want to inject those catfood commission recommendations into another commission, force it through Congress, and set it up to do something similar every 10 years.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 08:59:50 AM PDT

•  That's a ref to Bruce and '80 cents a week'? (1+ / 0-)
      KBO

Please don't obfuscate ...

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:03:29 AM PDT

•  What? (2+ / 0-)
        KBO, priceman

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:07:37 AM PDT

•  You warn about certain commenters here (0+ / 0-)

To wit:

[Durbin] is very confident that they can convince the people to swallow this with little protest.  $3.50 a month.

One of the Social Security Defenders proposals is to increase FICA by 2% over 10 years, basically 80 cents a week per year. That's awfully close to Durbin's $3.50 a month, so I wondered if you were making a veiled reference.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:49:29 AM PDT

•  Durbin was talking about (2+ / 0-)
            aliasalias, priceman

framing the benefit cuts by telling people it will just be a small cut, $3.50/month. It is in the transcript above.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:40:25 AM PDT

•  Gotcha. (0+ / 0-)

Dog-whistle.

My lips are sealed.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:43:35 AM PDT

•  Clem (5+ / 0-)

I am not trying to veil anything or deceive anyone and I really don't like the accusations.  What kind of dog whistle are you referring to?

Durbin explains how he wants to sell it to the public. I see the same sales pitch in comments here.  It's just a small cut, what are you complaing about, the commenters say?  I could go and find some examples for you with links if you think I am playing some kind of game here, but I can't do it right now as I have work and kids to attend to.

There are links to source material in this diary.  No veils, no misinterpretations, nothing.  You can see it with your own eyes if you choose to read the diary and the source material.  I really don't understand the hostility here.  We are all in this together.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:47:42 AM PDT

•  I'm almost tempted to believe in Obama's 11DC (4+ / 0-)
      Roger Fox, fabucat, orlbucfan, joanneleon

brilliance at work here, because Durbin isn't exactly the sort of person you entrust something this big to. He's not that bright, and not that tough. He's the guy you appoint to the fake commission to satisfy the fools as your real commission does its work in secret. If so, the question is whether the latter is trying to do something far worse, or better.

Ok, back to reality for me...

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:50:19 AM PDT

•  Hear, hear, jl. This is (I fear) just the 'tip of (1+ / 0-)
      joanneleon

the proverbial iceberg.'

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 03:32:43 PM PDT

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site