View Diary: The Great Georgia/Tennessee Water War of 2013 (15 comments)

•  I guess Tennessee isn't true to it's word then? (0+ / 0-)

Both states agreed to a boundary, both states agreed to correct an improperly drawn boundary. It should not have taken this long.

How you get that Georgia "figures all of East Tennessee" out of a few hundred yards is beyond comprehension.

"There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.".. Buddha

by sebastianguy99 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 05:42:33 PM PDT

•  Did You Read My Comment? (4+ / 0-)
      sewaneepat, nasheval, freesia, ladybug53

Did you happen to notice the blockquote from the TPM piece linked in the Comment I responded to? I'll reprise the quote, just for you:

Additionally, the Tennessee River’s headwaters are located in Georgia
      Since reading isn't your strong suit I'll go WAY out on a limb and guess geography isn't either, so I'll type slowly so you can keep up.

A river's "headwaters" is generally thought of as the "furthest place in that river or stream from its estuary or confluence with another river, as measured along the course of the river" (from Wikipedia), or where it starts being a river. In this case that happens in the eastern part of Knoxville, Tennessee, which is a long way from any part of Georgia.

An alternate view of "headwaters" encompasses the source streams that make up a river at its inception, in this case the Holston River, which flows from Virginia into Tennessee, and the French Broad, which comes out of North Carolina. Careful scrutiny will reveal that Georgia wasn't mentioned as the source for either stream, thus the absurdity of the claim I quoted.

Anything else I can help you understand today?

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

by The Baculum King on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 05:58:15 PM PDT

•  Wow, did you not see my "...lol"? (0+ / 0-)

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but you are way more emotionally vested in this issue than me.

I hope insulting me over the internet made you feel as good as I feel sorry for you.

by sebastianguy99 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:28:13 PM PDT

•  I Still Don't See It (1+ / 0-)
          sewaneepat

by The Baculum King on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:39:25 PM PDT

•  You did not say lol except in response to Kimball (0+ / 0-)

Cross and what he/she learned in GA 8th grade history.

You began by insulting Tennessee -"isn't true to it's (sic) word" and "has no honor."

If we are serious about this issue, it is because it gets damned old for GA to keep trying to steal our water so that your lawns can be green.

Water is a serious issue - if you lived somewhere that you didn't just turn on a faucet to get it, you might understand that.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 07:08:24 AM PDT

•  The Holston and French Broad are nowhere (1+ / 0-)
      freesia

near Georgia. Look at a map.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 06:01:53 PM PDT

•  Also, Georgia is claiming more than (3+ / 0-)

"a few hundred yards." They are claiming over a mile so they can barely touch Nickajack Lake so they can water lawns in Atlanta.  Again, look at a map.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 06:30:39 PM PDT

•  You people are too darn serious. (0+ / 0-)

This issue has been around before any of us were born, and will likely be that way when we depart this life.

For the record:I wasn't taught this in any history class. It was a joke.

The first I heard about it was on an episode of H2's How The States Got Their Shape. The host visits a bar where half the place is in Tennessee and the other half in Georgia. I would say check it out, but you folks probably aren't going to like what they say either.

Best of Luck to the Vols this season.

by sebastianguy99 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 08:32:50 PM PDT