View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup: Marriage equality and the Supreme Court (84 comments)

•  I for one, could not participate (1+ / 0-)
    Odysseus

since I would be fired immediately. A strike is nice if you have a union supporting you, but with only about 7% of workers belonging to a union these days and the state of unemployment, a general strike is simply unrealistic.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:04:08 AM PDT

•  Oh, I know. I'd only be able to participate by (3+ / 0-)
      skohayes, Stude Dude, tobendaro

taking time off.

But the FACT is as long as all the people continue to NOT act up, we will continue to get powerfucked.

NOTHING will stop it until we act up and stop it by force.

Voting is a sham and is directly related to why we are being victimized by the vultures who roost in our government.

We will be powerless until we simply take it back. We have to stop asking and start taking.

otherwise it's 'stay the course'.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:23:08 AM PDT

•  See that's the thing (2+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx, Stude Dude

What good is "taking time off"? That's not striking, that's taking time off (some people can't even afford that, though thankfully I can). I'd do it for solidarity, but I wonder if there would be any real impact.
        The whole point of a strike is to inconvenience your employer, isn't it?

by skohayes on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:29:48 AM PDT

•  It sure is a huge boon for the (2+ / 0-)
          tobendaro, skohayes

1% that so many Americans are terrified of losing their jobs.

Another benefit of republicans destroying the economy: all the natural things a people should do are hobbled by fear of economic ruin. We'd rather cling on to shitty jobs that take the risk of acting up. I'm clearly in that boat. A shitty job is better than no job at all.

Millions are in the same boat and I have no bright idea about getting around that.

I am certain voting only perpetuates it. We go into elections with the candidates we have and the system stays protected.

The reality is we have to to jettison the life we know and while we all cling on paycheck to paycheck it doesn't even seem possible to stock up for a siege. If I wasn't married, it would be far easier but with a wife, I have oligations that I can't just shirk to go do the right thing.

The best I can do currently is vote against republicans.

And take days off to show up at protests.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:50:25 AM PDT

•  OK, MAYBE we can get a proper vote-based (0+ / 0-)

decision 20-30 years from now.

Maybe Austerity will hurt Americans enough they'll act up.

I see no reason to suffer needless bullshit for 40 more years just because "its the law".

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:52:32 AM PDT

•  In this case the strike is to scare the 1%. (1+ / 0-)
          Stude Dude

We will get nowhere until those fuckers fear us.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:53:14 AM PDT