View Diary: Walmart Shoppers Bolt to Costco & Target: Empty Shelves & Long Lines Tied to Staffing Problems (572 comments)

•  Windows 8 Phone a Laugh (72+ / 0-)

Seriously, anyone looking for state of the art mobile phones does NOT invest in a Windows phone. When I retired two years ago, I dumped my smart phone. But now, after having depressurized from the stress of having to be on call 24x7, we are planning to get Samsung Galaxy 4 with Android phones when they are released sometime next quarter. When you are a geezer and on the road, being connected is not bad thing, we have decided. Maps, Teh Google, all at one's fingertips.

But a Windows phone? Not a chance.

And I am a retired computer Geek. Who still develops database software with Microsoft products.

But truth is truth.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." “When you come to the fork in the road, take it.” --Yogi Berra

by HeartlandLiberal on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:18:54 AM PDT

•  We have Galaxy S III phones (12+ / 0-)

They are very good - the S IV will be great, too, but fortunately there's no reason for envy from our perspective because these phones still over-perform for our needs.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 09:49:09 AM PDT

•  I have a Droid (12+ / 0-)

It's great. My husband has an iPhone that cost almost 3 times as much, but only because we also have an iPad which he knows how to use (he never touches the computer).

I'm fine with an Android phone, and if we had an Android tablet, I might have gotten one for my son. But the iPhone is so idiot proof...

•  My HTC droid phone is excellent (2+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM, boatjones

but my droid tablet is kind of meh. This is purely personal preference. While I like the abbreviated information on a phone, I'd rather have the detail and ease of use that a laptop has as compared with a tablet. I have a full size Mac for working and a Hackintosh laptop,which works with Mac OS on a Dell, for travelling. Works a treat too.

"We are monkeys with money and guns". Tom Waits

by northsylvania on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:46:38 AM PDT

•  I have the google nexus HD tablet (1+ / 0-)
        ivote2004

And it immediately synced up with my droid phone and downloaded all the programs I needed from my phone. It is pretty awesome, especially for watching movies on planes! It also easily loaded my sony reader software and I read all of my books on it now.

Republicans piss on you and tell you it's raining, Democrats hand you an umbrella!

by Nica24 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 04:29:01 PM PDT

•  I like the features of these latest phones (10+ / 0-)

But simply do not understand the sizes. If you want a tablet then get a tablet! As it is these are still too small to replace real tablets yet still too big to be phones. I fully expect a return to human-sized phones in a year or two as tablets become more powerful, light and affordable.

Oh, and I want a smartwatch!

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:15:39 AM PDT

•  I really loved it when cell phones (0+ / 0-)

were the size of a pack of gum. I wish someone would bring those back.

•  Well, that's just too small for me (2+ / 0-)
          Just Bob, mythatsme

I like my current phone's size, about the size of the typical smartphone 2-3 years ago. Ideally, I'd have 5 devices:

Smartwatch - Really helpful during workouts
          Smartphone - To do phone stuff and apps
          Tablet - To do more extensive content consumption
          Laptop - To do work away from home
          Desktop - To do work at home and more CPU-intensive stuff

Each of these would serve a useful purpose for me. I suppose I could combine a tablet and laptop, but my ideal tablet size would be too small to be a decent laptop screen, around 7-9", especially at my age.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 01:56:40 PM PDT

•  I will get a tablet when they do everything (0+ / 0-)

...be a laptop, ipod and my regular phone.  They are pretty close.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:15:52 AM PDT

•  Computationally and in terms of memory (2+ / 0-)
          Sychotic1, llywrch

they're almost there, if not actually with the latest phones. The problem, for me at least and I'm sure many others, is the screen size and keyboard. My ideal phone screen size is around 4.5", pushing the limits of comfortable phone size but usable as an occasional tablet. My ideal tablet size is 7-9", which paired with a keyboard can pass as an occasional laptop. My ideal laptop size is 11-13", too big to use as a tablet and too small for viewing videos at home. My ideal desktop size is 24-27", obviously too big for anything else. And even a phone is too big or cumbersome sometimes, as when working out or driving, which is where a smartwatch comes in with a 1-2" screen.

One device is never going to be all of these for most people. Although, back when I had a Palm I got a small keyboard for it and found it to be quite usable for light documents and email. So I suppose that for some people, a 5" phone can be a phone, tablet and even laptop.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:02:16 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I am thinking of something the size of (1+ / 0-)
            kovie

say a Kindle that will do everything, that you can attach a keyboard to it, that you might even be able to dock it with a larger monitor or synch it with a desktop.

I intend to leave the country in six years and not come back for a long time, and not stay in any one place for too long either, so a tablet that does most everything would be my optimal solution.

by Sychotic1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:24:17 AM PDT

•  I think that smartwatches and bluetooth (1+ / 0-)
              Sychotic1

will solve the problem of phones that approach tablet size when you want to use them as a phone, and external keyboards and monitors solve the problem of their being too small for general computer use. Good luck.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:31:26 AM PDT

•  windows 8 - meh... (35+ / 0-)

i had to friggin' GOOGLE where to find the settings to shut down the auto-hibernation that came with an 88 yr old friend's laptop.

what a joke - the new touch screen garbage is confusing and difficult for a former software consultant to figure out - how in HELL does a brand new computer user sort that crap to make sense!

NO one needs ONLY "picture icons" as the only way to learn a computer - imagine the space shuttle run by smiley faces on the control panel!

bleech.

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:40:45 AM PDT

•  Ha! Me too! (8+ / 0-)

In fact, I still can't remember how to shut the darn thing off without googling. I usually just close the cover and hope for the best. But when I MUST reboot, it's off to Google.

Why did they make it so hard?

Hopefully ...... soon, Mom. My political compass: - 8.38,-6.97

by pucklady on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 12:35:57 PM PDT

•  When I first started learning computers (5+ / 0-)

(back in the dark ages when computers took up whole rooms and keypunch cards were the input), an instructor made me fearless with a computer. When questioned about "breaking" a computer, he said, "You can't break a computer with a program. If you can, we want to know about it so we can fix it."

Since then, I've been rather fearless about trying new stuff on my computer (thank ceiling cat for the "undo" key - I want one for my life). I've got backups and with the newer systems "restore" has fixed all sorts of problems for me and a couple of friends and their computers.

I have an old laptop with XP that I use for photos and music (it has Photoshop and Audacity). I use a computer at work with XP. Another computer at work has Win 7. My new laptop uses Win 8.

I found the new Win 8 to be fairly easy to work with and after just a day or two of fooling around with it, I really love it. But I think it goes back to that teacher who told me I couldn't break my computer. I did once, but that's only because I dropped my XP laptop and broke the mother board.

The only system I've had trouble with was Vista, but it was still good, when it worked. I'll take any of those OpSys over any Mac, any day.

I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

by woolibaar on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 02:21:03 PM PDT

•  ah, don't like mac, eh? well, i'm from the old (5+ / 0-)

wang days and mac is the closest to wang os than any other system i've seen.  it is quite logical when trying to do something new - without using manuals.  windows puts too many layers for me.  i will give 8 a chance after a good friend (actually, my fairy godson) told me he really likes it (he's a computer geek and programmer) so i need to give it a chance.

what i love about mac is that it is so danged logical.  i can "think" through how i would do something and try it and mostly, i get results.

the old wang - the system had a wonderful question that popped up whenever you were about to do something really serious (like reformat your system disk) - it asked "do you want to do that? y/n"  if you hit yes, it asked sweetly yet again, "are you SURE?" - and that was the key to backing slowly away from the keyboard and THINKING about what you were trying to do!

what i love about mac is that you don't need the same type of system "maintenance" that you do with microsoft.  the system doesn't need de-fragging - not sure why - but it just doesn't.  some day i'll research it - but it is so maintenance free that it is simple to use.  it is rare i have a problem with the macbook pro but with windows, it is ALWAYS a problem with sys slowdown or hanging or some other problem.  the only problem i've had with safari is with adobe pdf files - 64 bit vs 32 - so i need chrome for reading them.

that, i can live with to not deal with windows...

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 03:05:27 PM PDT

•  "the system doesn't need defragging" (2+ / 0-)
            edrie, Sychotic1

The Mac filesystem is extents based.  What that means in English is that it's described by start-distance pairs.  "This file exists starting at X and extending for Y.  There is a second fragment at Z extending for A"...

NTFS and several other filesystems allocate a specific amount of space at random locations.  "This file consists of the following  seventeen clusters...".

In practice what this means is that for files which are only written once or rarely, MacOS will often keep a completely defragmented instance.  Under NTFS and other systems, any file larger than the allocation unit is usually fragmented.

MacOS is pathological on drives which are very nearly full.  Many tiny extents may be required to hold a file of any size.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 08:42:18 PM PDT

•  cool! you just saved my googling that question (1+ / 0-)
              Odysseus

tonite!  was over at a friend's house helping get vista and windows 7 talk to each other with work group/home group files - and was explaining the importance of defragging - then got to thinking of the mac - really  WAS going to google it tonite!

when i worked with wang, we went so far as to break down into machine language to understand the linkage - it was awesome!  since i've not delved into mac programming, i was curious how files were allocated.

smiling now - another curiosity satisfied!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:15:17 AM PDT

•  oh, and the other systems use the first available (1+ / 0-)
              Odysseus

clusters to write - meaning that when you delete a lot of files, those sectors are available for use again and if you're writing a large file that takes multiple larger sectors, then your file is scattered all OVER the disc in those holes left when you last deleted files.

the time lost in reading fragmented files isn't due to the size as much as it is the mechanical nature of the read/write heads retracting and extending over the drive to connect the dots (sectors).  the data is put back together with rapid precision but the physical time it takes for the heads to retract and extend over the spinning drive is what takes so long.

defragging takes all the pieces and puts them in one consolidated file so that the data is read with smooth moves of the head - but as soon as you start deleting again, the same problem of slowing down occurs.  so, the motto is if you are using a lot of data that is constantly deleted or edited, you need to defrag more frequently.  if you don't, the possibility of a lost fragment of data grows and your file could be corrupted.  think power fluxuation during a write session and you're in trouble!  electricity isn't as consistently provided as we'd like to think - someone turns on a motor that draws a lot of power and you have microscopic fluxuations in home power - bingo - problems!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:21:32 AM PDT

•  LOLOL - couldn't happen to a better corp. (25+ / 0-)

1.  I will NEVER shop at Wal-Mart again.  I cannot remember the last time I was in a Wal-Mart PARKING LOT, let alone the store.  Hate them with a passion.  They are the epitome of greed, in my book.  I refusse to give them another red cent of my hard-earned money. (Just in case you didn't know how I felt about them).

2.  I love my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone.  I highly recommend it.  The camera is fabulous...I have a new grandson, and have been using it just lately for LOTS of photos.  The capabilities are endless.

Let me explain the order of things to you. There's the aristocracy, the upper class, the middle class, working class, dumb animals, waiters, creeping things, head lice, people who eat packet soup, then you. -- Gareth Blackstock, Chef!

by avamontez on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 11:10:40 AM PDT

•  You got a Galaxy S4? (0+ / 0-)

Who's your service provider? I thought they weren't due out for another few months...?

"In the battle of existence, Talent is the punch; Tact is the clever footwork. Wilson Mizner -7.25/-5.64

by mikejay611 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49:04 AM PDT

•  Sorry Mike -- I don't know (0+ / 0-)

what I'm talking about.  It's been a rough week, but thankfully, a short one.  I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII.

by avamontez on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 08:04:01 AM PDT

•  I don't own a smartphone yet (I know, luddite), (0+ / 0-)

but right now I'm glad I waited. The S4 will be my first.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 03:08:30 PM PDT

•  Good (4+ / 0-)

I won't shop there because of the way they treat their workers and because they sell goods made in foreign sweatshops.

•  As to #1 (8+ / 0-)

I was never a Wal-mart shopper. Their stores depress the hell out of me---everything from their store design to my knowledge of how they treat their employees. And yes, they are the EPITOME of greed.

So a couple of weeks ago I was shopping on line for curtain rods with finials. Wasn't finding what I wanted for the price I wanted.  Confession: I went to Wal-mart on line, and wouldn't you know, there was exactly what I was looking for.  Design was spot on for me, price was perfect.

So I put them in my "shopping cart." But I just could not pull the trigger in the end.  I could not put money in the pockets of Wal-mart, no matter if they had the one thing I wanted at the right price.

Fuck curtain rods and finials.  How important are they? Not important at all, who the hell cares?  And so I found good enough somewhere else.

Not a story of importance, except to say, we must live what we believe in, and I consider not buying those curtain rods from Wal-mart to be a very small victory in the scheme of things, but a victory nevertheless.  Couple of million more like me and they're in trouble---and it seems they already are.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 05:21:44 PM PDT

•  same here (1+ / 0-)
          StellaRay

I won't buy from Walmart (online or in rl) even if it's something I want or think I need. Some things are more important than 'stuff'.

JCPenney's has a fair collection of curtain rods with finials. I almost bought some, but changed my mind and decided to go curtainless on the windows in question (shades do the job).

•  That's exactly where I ended (1+ / 0-)
            sillia

up buying them---good to support any business that will hire a gay spokesperson and not budge on it despite the predictable haters protesting them.

by StellaRay on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:13:16 AM PDT

•  Windows 8 phone is actually the best in many ways. (1+ / 0-)
      basket

The live tiles actually do make using the phone easier and finding what you want is more intuitive. The consistency of the interface and the integration with the whole spectrum of your data and systems really does make a difference. As a point of validation, the Smartphone of the Year is a Windows phone!

The thing that I like the most is how I can easily and automatically and transparently share all of my critical data across all of my devices - documents, one note files, photos, etc., plus the complete integration of the email/calendars for all of my environments (work, home and mobile).

Good Sense is Seldom Common

•  once a week daily kos starts crying (2+ / 0-)
        basket, Satya1

about how horrible Windows 8 is.
        it's tedious. and a whole long thread with the same complaints.  I don't get it. At all.
        then i find out most of the commenters want Word Perfect back.
        whatever.
        I have WIN 8 and love it.
        The stuff about how it's confusing sounds like my Dad trying to figure out how a fax machine works in 2013.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 02:35:23 PM PDT

•  I agree with you (2+ / 0-)
          Bronx59, TomFromNJ

A lot of the complaints are overblown and from people who simply didn't want to invest ANY extra time learning new interface functionality.  My 10 year old likes Win 8 fine.

I don't have a preference with Win 7 or 8, personally - and I have worked in IT since CP/M was on personal computers.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 05:33:56 PM PDT

•  Make the common case fast. (1+ / 0-)
          FishOutofWater

Programming languages and OSes are supposed to "make easy things easy and hard things possible".  MacOS does the first, Linux does the second, and Microsoft does neither.

I only use Windows 8 at work, and there it's a disaster.  Many of the "tiles" are banned or counterproductive.  The normal case is that systems are given permanent, static IP addresses, which is harder to do than under any previous Windows version.  There is a huge amount of random crap that needs to be explicitly turned off before the system matches a sane business use case.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 08:48:53 PM PDT