Skip to main content

View Diary: National Review: Birthers are bipartisan (79 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Paperwork and what it means (0+ / 0-)

    The paperwork that parents file with the State Department is not to "make" the child a citizen: it is to prove citizenship.

    A baby born abroad to U.S. citizen parents is a citizen by birth.

    The parents submit proof of U.S. citizenship of one or both parents, and submit proof that they've had a baby, and it is the biological child of at least one U.S. citizen.

    If parents want to obtain a passport for a baby born in the United States, they file paperwork with the State Department to prove that the child is a citizen and eligible for a passport.

    What has to be proven is different.

    If the baby is born in the U.S., then to get a passport for the baby you have to prove birth in the U.S.

    If the baby is born abroad, then to get a passport for the baby you have to prove parental citizenship (U.S., obviously) and the birth of the baby to you.

    If the parents don't file the paperwork after they have the baby, the baby is still a U.S. citizen. His or her citizenship can be recognized years later after he or she files the documents proving all those facts. The U.S. government will be recognizing, not granting, U.S. citizenship in this situation.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site