View Diary: UNC suspends Honor Court case against student who spoke out about rape (55 comments)

•  Re (2+ / 0-)
    AoT, nextstep
    And assuming that anything outside of the legal system is "mob justice" is absurd.
    That's pretty much the definition of it.

When I read ominous statements about 'the legal system isn't enough' and 'we need to do things outside the legal system', I am reminded of thousands of CIA detainees being held without trial, of blacks accused of crimes being killed by lynch mobs (often ironically for the crime of sleeping with white women... consensual or otherwise), etc.

Your response is going to be "well, I wasn't talking about those things!", leading the reader to wonder exactly what extrajudicial process you are talking about exactly. I realize your thought wasn't fully thought out when you typed it, and maybe you don't have a fully fleshed out idea yet, but in my view the rule of law is always the primary consideration.

Is the legal system broken with regard to rape? I don't know, but it will be a lot more broken if we start ignoring legal protections and rules of evidence, or start doing things outside it in an attempt to be 'helpful'.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
    Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:55:32 AM PDT

•  you assume violence is the only method (0+ / 0-)

Of accountability and because of that you assume that the state is the only legitimate source of accountability. Because of this you assumed what I was calling for, you inserted the violent content, no one else, see a response to this issue that doesn't assume violence.

And the fact that you are unsure that there's a problem with rape in this country speaks volumes. Somewhere around 10% of rapes are prosecuted and most rapes aren't even reported. The justice system is an utter failure in this regard, which is the whole point of my earlier comment. We need to do something about rape because the government isn't doing nearly enough. The educating is a good start but we need more.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:43:09 AM PDT

•  I made an assumption... (0+ / 0-)

...because of your plain words. If you want to explain what exactly "nonviolent non-state-based accountability" is, I'm all ears, but I suspect you yourself don't know or have some kind of sinister intent between the lines.

As far as the system working or not working, that's a complex discussion. Let's just say that I'm not sure I buy your data or the methodology/definitions used to collect it.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 10:22:26 AM PDT

•  You don't see a rape problem (0+ / 0-)

And as such I'm not sure there's any point to this discussion. You clearly don't care to listen to what women who have been raped are saying.

by AoT on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:17:29 PM PDT

•  Re (0+ / 0-)

What nonsense. Really.

Ignoring my point and personal attacks are pretty much all you have to go on, it seems.

I am very interested in your point about special "non-violent" extrajudicial punishments for people accused but not convicted of crimes, which is what the original point of this conversation was.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 01:31:56 PM PDT

•  have you never heard of boycotts? (0+ / 0-)

Or public shaming. There was a group of football players in steubbeville that called themselves the rape squad and two of them got jail time. It isn't a personal attack to say about you what you said about yourself.

by AoT on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 02:06:50 PM PDT