View Diary: You can make a lot of money saying stupid shi+ about marijuana. (70 comments)

•  I might believe these A-holes the day someone... (22+ / 0-)

provides me with a single bud of that new strain of "super-duper-one-toke-and-you're-hooked-and-stoned-out-of-your-gourd-and-jumping-off-buildings" weed that the DEA keeps warning us about.

All it takes is an amoral ability to lie through your teeth with a willingness to fuck up innocent people's lives needlessly.
    Smoked weed for 40 years now, (off and on) bought it in about a dozen states, (and Canada) and lived in five, and I still ain't found any of it yet.

Come'on DEA, quit bogartin' the primo stuff!

(why don't they just be honest for a change and admit that the only reason it's not legal right now is that corporations can't control it because it, well... kinda grows like a weed?)

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." ~ Aldous Huxley

by markthshark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:44:56 AM PDT

•  Yeah... that stuff is sort of 'subjective;y' (13+ / 0-)

reported.

I got some "Pure OG Kush" last month: absolutely the strongest weed I have ever smoked. Super good, really so strong I could only smoke small amounts at a time.

If weed was much more potent then that you MIGHT have a super-duper one-toke-stone.

Their dreams of us dying from weed will never be realized: my dream of them accidently shooting themselves is much closer to doable:

If they weren't so hateful, shitty, dangerous and murderous, I'd not wish bad shit upon them.

Alas....

•  They're not worth good shit wishes... (9+ / 0-)

I've had great weed. Even in Florida where I live now. But even that doesn't fit the description of the crap the DEA's trying to sell us.

If they made weed legal they'd have to make hemp legal. And if they did that half of corporate America would have to change all their business models and completely retool all their production plants across the country, and that probably includes big pharma.

My fervent wish is that sometime in my lifetime, all the potential in marijuana is discovered, explored and utilized... for the good of society.

by markthshark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:16:33 AM PDT

•  Well, only if it's going to be more profitable (2+ / 0-)
          markthshark, oldpotsmuggler
          to use hemp than whatever they're using now. And if it's going to be more profitable, shouldn't they be jumping at the opportunity?

This isn't the thirties, and control of the pulp is no longer control of the news.

Not sure I see huge industrial resistance to hemp.

•  Not necessarily... (5+ / 0-)
            I've been doing a lot of thinking on this.

The reason that I articulated above is only one of two reasons why they're not ready for legalizing herb, and all that entails.

I'll put it this way: can you imagine a Monsanto-type corporation contending with all those non patented marijuana seeds floating around the country if pot was legal?

No matter what legal steps they took. No matter how much money they had to spend, little community-minded co-ops seeking to supply their small town with textiles, a source of food, rope, paper, and a host of other things made with hemp would be popping out of nowhere.

Hell, it wouldn't shock me if you could use oil extracted from hemp to power cars and trucks.

Bottom line: marijuana is just too versatile a raw material to allow to grow wild or be grown independently.

by markthshark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 10:05:43 AM PDT

•  Eh, most of that seed is crap anyway- underground (1+ / 0-)
              markthshark

is no place for stable breeding. It'll all drift from pheno inside of a couple of generations. As an aside, they haven't been all that worried about the presence of hemp seed in imported bird seed. ( I think that it's supposed to be rendered inviable, but very limited experimental evidence suggests a ~50% germination rate.)

And sure, you can make textiles, oil, etc from hemp- but like making textiles, oils, etc from any crop, it's machinery intensive. Nobody's going to run stuff off on a micro scale and be competitive. Small hemp farming faces the same problems as small soy or corn farming. I have to assume that the same pressures in the same economy will cause the same tendencies- A move toward industrial scale farming, and processing.

We'll grow hemp just like we grow corn- The little guy just isn't really a presence in the market.

•  Except (1+ / 0-)
                markthshark

for the rising cost of energy that will soon start to make much of our industrial agriculture economically non-viable.  Water shortages in the West.  Fuel and fertilizer prices.  Transportation to market.   Increased costs of Frankenseeds and their obligate support-structure -- herbicides, pesticides, fertilizer, water, tilling (most bioengineered seeds are actually LESS vigorous and productive than older varieties; they're designed for a single characteristic rather than overall viability).

Won't happen overnight, but as we approach the hard limits to growth, there will be a place for hemp in sustainable agriculture.  It was common throughout Eurasia for a thousand years because it was an extremely hardy and useful plant.

•  There's one problem with this premise... (1+ / 0-)
                Remembering Jello
                Local farming waned when people started moving toward the big metropolitan areas. There was no longer the room to either farm or store the bounty afterward. Space became a big impediment. That gave Big Ag the opportunity they needed to consolidate and control our food supply in general.

Pot's different. A household can easily grow enough marijuana to sustain itself. Space isn't a problem if you're only growing a few plants at a time. So, even if communities don't go the route I described before, i.e., the industrial co-op aspect (which I still think will happen but on a much smaller scale) growing enough marijuana for personal use will become the norm across the country.

Industries that make grow lights and Miracle Grow will make out like a bandit. Monsanto -- not so much.

There's also the research & development aspect to legal pot. Any college student with entrepreneurial spirit and part time access to a university chem lab will be able to do his or her own research and testing. Marijuana has much potential. We don't know half of it... yet.

Control is everything. And I don't see how Monsanto can control legal pot.

Just sayin'

by markthshark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:12:48 PM PDT

•  ***singing loudly with redneck twang: (0+ / 0-)
          Proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free ....
          to have my bodily fluids seized by my employer or one of many government agencies. Stupid fucker who wrote that song, what was his name?

Also isn't there an amendment in the Bill of Rights that prohibits unreasonable search and seizure? Does seizure of one's bodily fluids seem unreasonable to anyone else?

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that government is bad, that it can increase revenue by decreasing revenue, and unregulated capitalism can provide unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources.

by FrY10cK on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:32:40 PM PDT

•  Well, I think that cop in the video just found... (6+ / 0-)

some of that super weed the DEA warns us about.

I'm sure glad he's the one that got shot... and not any of the kids.

(I love it at the end when the kids are telling them to put the gun down. They're the only ones with a lick of common sense)

Put. the. gun. down. and. slowwwwllllly. back away.  lol

by markthshark on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:48:06 AM PDT

•  Mmm I LOVE a good OG strain. (0+ / 0-)

Last night I picked up some Girl Scout Cookies, which is a very tasty strain. It's a hybrid of Durban Poison x F1 x OG Kush. They do have some one-hitter-quitters out there, like Pure Gold's hash oil. One rip from my personal vape of that stuff and I'm flying.

•  Are we sure that isn't from Reno 911? (0+ / 0-)

LOL That was bad.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:17:08 AM PDT

•  actually, I can't use any of this stuff (0+ / 0-)

pot, heroin, cocaine, meth, alcohol, various prescription narcotics (unless there is a pressing medical need, like surgery), and I'd like to see an end to the drug war, period.

It wastes lives, money, law enforcement; shreds the Constitution; breeds corruption of all kinds; is a de facto war on the underclass. All that waste and suffering, and it's not even effective, at least not in its stated aims. Very effective in the unstated incentives to keep it going. It diminishes our society in so many ways.

And yes, the prohibition on marijuana is especially idiotic. Those other drugs are actually dangerous, and the number of people who use them small in comparison, oh, except for alcohol, which is widely used and so much more dangerous than marijuana, it's a joke to compare them.