View Diary: Bill O'Reilly: The other side hasn’t been able to do anything but thump the Bible (182 comments)

•  "Original Greek Texts"? (0+ / 0-)

I know a lot of christians like to say they've gone back to the "original Greek texts" but so far none of them have been able to actually point to any such thing.

Maybe your friends can do so, can you ask them and share with us whatever these mysterious original "Greek texts" are?

*The administration has done virtually nothing designed to reward its partisans. - Kos 8/31/10*

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 10:05:50 AM PDT

•  some of the dead sea scrolls are in greek (2+ / 0-)
      Cali Scribe, Debby

-You want to change the system, run for office.

by Deep Texan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34:14 AM PDT

•  Yes, and none are biblical. (0+ / 0-)

Some of the text of the Dead Sea Scrolls is written in Greek, but only some of it, and none of it is Biblical.

Some of it is good corollary to Hebrew Bible canon though.

But none of it has anything to do with what most so-called bible scholars are referring to when they talk about "original greek texts", like there are some actual documents out there that are the original writings of, well, anyone at all who purportedly wrote the Bible.

There aren't.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:46:01 PM PDT

•  Okay, maybe not the "original" (3+ / 0-)
      Debby, SilentBrook, Jay C

but what's come down to us through history -- the texts that have been used to come up with the various translations going back to Gutenberg's printing press and before. Every time a new translation is announced, the publishers make it clear that the authors worked from the original Hebrew/Greek.

When I was in high school, I attended a non-denominational church; I don't remember how conservative they might have been politically (this was the 1970s; the Moral Majority was in its infancy), but the church was very teaching-oriented, and in the "teachings" (they didn't call them sermons) they were meticulous in going back to the Hebrew and Greek sources to look at the context behind various passages. I had a copy of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance on my bookshelves at home, as did many of my fellow youth group members, and they even offered courses in Hebrew and Greek for those who were interested.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:39:25 AM PDT

•  One of my best friends in high school (0+ / 0-)

was a PK (preacher's kid) and I remember being at her house when her older brother and sister were home from college. They were doing their Greek homework, taken specifically for religious reasons, so I don't understand this "Greek text" thing.

(That was also one of my first lessons in ecumenism as they were Baptist and I was Catholic at the time; I was kind of scared they might stone me when I showed up at their house, but they were the sweetest people! Hee! The stuff kids think.)

Get old and do lots of stuff in the process. Half of the fun is trying everything out. --Noddy

by Debby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49:29 AM PDT

•  Specifically, (0+ / 0-)

(and I say friend, I should have said acquaintance in this case, although we do have friends in common and we've met on several occasions) a friend of a friend is a pastor, schooled at Bob Jones (!) and Harvard Law. This page has a large collection of his writing on the subject. I read through a lot of them when his church put a billboard campaign up in our town. Before that, I'd heard others talk about such evidence but Pastor Jeff's was the first time I'd seen chapter and verse quoted and studied in depth. Again, makes me no never mind but definitely points up the fluid nature of the transcripts.

Why do you keep putting "Greek texts" in quotations? What are you trying to say by doing that?

by Debby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:43:37 AM PDT

•  Because there are no "greek texts"... (0+ / 0-)

... in the sense that so-called biblical scholars try to present them.

There are no original documents that people go back to to translate into better and better bibles.

There simply is no such thing.  But it sounds good, so they say it.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:47:22 PM PDT

• Media (25)
  • Spam (22)
  • Education (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • GOP (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site