Skip to main content

View Diary: $43,286 (134 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  You don't mention if you own a house - (10+ / 0-)

    I assume that would get mentioned if you owned one, as you would be worried about losing it. I have watched several acquaintances lost their homes to medical situations like the one you describe.

    So since you don't own a house (Again, my assumption) or ther assets like some huge clump of change in an IRA or other retirement fund, tomorrow morning, first thing, go to Social Services and apply for Medicaid. (State version of MediCare for poor people.) Also ask for all the enclosures - you should be getting some pamphlets that spell out whether the state you live in allows for retroactive compensation for your medical bills. It is up to you to fight for this - social workers are sometimes penalized for pointing this out to clients, and they have also been told (in some instances) to lie and say you can't get retroactive payments, when you can. (What is most crucial is whether you were in the same shape financially the day you were admitted to the hospital, and it sounds like your situation was just as bad off financially then as it is now.)

    Also call whatever type of "Legal Aid" that might exist locally. Those programs are  the first to go in  a tough economy, but maybe there still is such a thing in your area. Schedule a meeting with them, so you can see if there is a way to get your medical care expenses paid for by the County, State or the Federal Government. If you aren't sure of what you will be discussing, at the time of tomorrow's call, don't worry - it is unlikely you would get in to see a legal aid attorney for at least five to ten days if not much longer.

    Hope that helps. Stay well. many of us are in your exact same situation, except the other shoe (ie a face infection situation) has not yet arisen.

    PS - you might find out you qualify for food stamps. If so, pls take them. Consider it your form of corporate welfare. And food stamps help local groceries stay alive.

    Offer your heart some Joy every day of your life, and spread it along to others.

    by Truedelphi on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 02:27:19 PM PDT

    •  In several states, you can't get Medicaid unless (14+ / 0-)

      you have dependent children no matter what your income.  You can have absolutely nothing in income or assets yet still not be eligible for Medicaid.

      You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

      by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 04:26:01 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  Fewer of those states 1/1/14. (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        Throw The Bums Out, k88dad

        Beginning 1/1/14, Medicaid eligibility will be significantly expanded in a number of states as a result of Obamacare. Diarist, I hope you're reading this--if your state will not make you eligible for Medicaid on 1/1/14, maybe you should move to a state that will.

        "The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

        by HeyMikey on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:45:30 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

    •  Trouble with not telling (0+ / 0-)

      them if you own your home they will probably find out because they will check your tax records.  Please even if you don't say anything and they find out later you could owe the state the money they paid you, plus you could face fines for lying.  You can get into legal trouble if you lie.

      "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

      by zaka1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 12:11:49 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  Did you misread me ?? (0+ / 0-)

        I did not say anywhere inside my original text to lie. Especially about owning a car (DMV records exist to the contrary) or a house (even more records for a house.)

        What I said was that the social workers will lie to clients -as they aren't supposed to let people know that a medical fee incurred sixty days earlier might be something the state or County is mandated to pay. Counties are trying to save money any way they can. Here in California, although it states clearly in all the related pamphlets that anyone applying at the time of an emergency must be given emergency food vouchers, and emergency med insurance, the social workers will look at you like you are nuts when you point that out. Then they will take your paperwork, and shout over your shoulder, "Next."  

        It currently can take up to 80 days to get assistance, again, even though it clearly states in the legal paperwork that the decision to confirm or deny a citizen's benefits MUST BE made within forty five days at the absolute latest. If you have made any misrepresentation to the Social Services people, even if it is  inadvertent and simply a mistake, you can be charged with fraud, and they will threaten you with up to sixteen years in jail. But if a County disregards regulations, there are NO PENALTIES for doing that.

        Offer your heart some Joy every day of your life, and spread it along to others.

        by Truedelphi on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:48:55 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site