View Diary: So, Jane Doe 'Allegedly' Asked For It? Steubenville's Former NAACP President Makes Shocking Remarks (42 comments)

•  Ah - he has an agenda (21+ / 0-)
    Mayo, who said he knows Richmond [one of the convicted teens] personally, tells a sordid tale about Steubenville and its racial dynamic and history of corruption. For him, the story does not end with the conviction of two teens for sexual assault. Yet some of his claims clash with the offical account of the case.
    Mayo's doubts do not end with the events on that night. He claims that Steubenvile police never followed up on compelling evidence and additional suspects. For him, there is enough doubt to question Richmond's conviction and enough evidence to perhaps convict more teens. Mayo acknowledged his ties to the Richmond family, saying he counseled Richmond when news of an alleged sexual assault began circulating in August. Before Richmond's arrest, Mayo spoke to him about the allegations.

“Back in August, when the rumors first started going around, I talked to Ma’lik, and he said, ‘No, Mr. Mayo, we didn’t do anything to that girl. I don’t know what these rumors are; I don’t understand it.’”

It’s like these two were sacrificed, the poor black kid and the white kid who is from the next county, in the next town over, who were sacrificed over all the other dirt and corruption that would be uncovered if you come into Steubenville,” Mayo says.

"No one life is more important than another. No one voice is more valid than another. Each life is a treasure. Each voice deserves to be heard." Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse & Onomastic

by Catte Nappe on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 03:18:40 PM PDT

•  Other dirt and corruption, Mr. Mayo? (16+ / 0-)

If you are aware of it, then report it.  If not, you are complicit.

"Politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage." -- Lucille Ball

by Yamaneko2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 03:47:34 PM PDT

•  I googled Steubenville (7+ / 0-)

About 18,000 population, of which 16% is African-American (so, roughly 3,000). I'd think there's a good chance the local head of the NAACP knows a kid who's a football star.

But, claiming it's a false conviction? There was video. How does he explain the video?

And whether there is dirt and corruption elsewhere in Steubenville is irrelevant to whether the rapists are guilty or not.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:25:49 PM PDT

•  I personally find it worth noting he is (5+ / 0-)

a former president of the local NAACP chapter. My dad was an NAACP chapter pres in our lily white suburbs when I was growing up. I can see Mayo being voted out of office, no problem.

Interesting he thinks the Steubenville police dropped other investigations when the AG announced they would convene a grand jury to deal with other culprits and there are 16 people who have not been willing to talk. Some are likely the adults who may have contributed to the alcohol, or at least did nothing to interfere.

Which is what I really have not heard enough about. These kids need some serious adjustment to their attitudes on alcohol. A lot of people have commented that the other kids should have protected her. I think they should have either taken her to an ED or called 911 and left if they were afraid of being caught. Alcohol intoxication is no joke and they are not the ones to assess that she did not need treatment.

Under the reported circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if they thought about it, the possibility that the ED would check for bodily fluids might have stopped them.

by Ginny in CO on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 07:05:24 PM PDT

•  From a post I read here, it's even worse than (5+ / 0-)

you think. Evidently all the network stations, even the PBS, cut prime time broadcasting to broadcast the high school foot ball games. I remember hearing about a town a long time ago that broadcast the high school homecoming dance arrivals like the Oscar red carpet. I understand, this is that town.

Oh these kids are known, well known. Steubenville is all about football.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 07:12:24 PM PDT

•  It's about 20-30 miles from Pittsburgh (3+ / 0-)
          88kathy, WakeUpNeo, Silvia Nightshade

on the WV/OH border. Yes, high school football is a big deal in that part of the country. Almost as football-crazy as Texas.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 07:50:50 PM PDT

•  Been there. Done that. From Pittsburgh..... (3+ / 0-)
            Silvia Nightshade, Catte Nappe, Dbug

...best bud and work colleague Tom Schell (network news reporter) grew up there, and his back yard abutted Dean Martin's back yard. Steubenville is like fifty or a hundred other river valley towns within an hour of my home town of Pittsburgh. The only difference is it's across the Ohio line.

It's a hard working Ohio River Valley rust belt town that has suffered terribly with the deaths of countless industries. Like its sister city of Wheeling, it has had its share of corruption for decades.

The old joke was that when the Ohio legislature would investigate mob activities and corruption in Steubenville, the whores would head across the river to Wheeling, and when the WV legislature would investigate corruption in Wheeling, Big Bill Lias would send his whores over to Steubenville. Women have been a commodity there since forever.

For many - if not most of the young men - football is the only ticket out of town, and the town's only source of pride until they find a way to reinvent themselves.

For now, there is a resurgence in coal mining and they're building a fracking facility being built across the state line up in Beaver County.

Not a lot of opportunity for young people there.

•  Even Texas has its limits, Dbug (0+ / 0-)

the PBS station here doesn't do the high-school games or the homecoming dances. There's a local-access station that belongs to the ISD for that.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:28:59 AM PDT

•  Gosh, the kid said (7+ / 0-)
      Well, that settles it then!  Who you gonna believe, him or your lying eyes with all that photographic evidence?

I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his payroll. - Edna St. Vincent Millay

by Tara the Antisocial Social Worker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:38:49 PM PDT

•  Ugh. (2+ / 0-)

That was a "No shit, really?" moment for me reading that.  There's photographic evidence of him and the other convicted rapist carrying her clearly unconscious (and good god she looks dead!) body by her wrists and ankles.  And he doesn't know this girl or anything about what happened?  Blatant lie.  Even without the rape conviction it's a blatant lie.

"I don't want a unicorn. I want a fucking pegasus. And I want it to carry a flaming sword." -mahakali overdrive

by Silvia Nightshade on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 07:03:33 AM PDT