View Diary: Utah Gun Lobbyist's Thermal Scope Assault Rifle Stolen From His Car (244 comments)

•  They only allow you to shoot back at someone who (1+ / 0-)
    phonegery

is already shooting at you, and it presupposes they missed. They don't protect you from someone popping your trunk while you are at dinner.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 05:07:05 PM PDT

•  yes, but if he didn't have the gun at all, no one (1+ / 0-)
      PsychoSavannah

would bother him - he'd be left alone. The irony.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 05:51:59 PM PDT

•  Well, think about it. If you are a mobster and (0+ / 0-)

you steal a fancy car, its not like you can drive it around the city.  One simple traffic stop can get you hauled in for a phony VIN.  It is an idiot-risk.  But, a nice sniper rifle would come in handy and isn't something you'd be flashing around in public, plus there is probably no shortage of two-bit thieves that either owe you or are trying to impress you that you could send in to make the grab.  It really is mobster-bait.

This is also a genuine risk we have with police departments arming themselves to the teeth.  Arms will get 'lost'.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 06:54:04 PM PDT

•  PS - they guy in the video in the diary had a gun, (0+ / 0-)

it didn't appear to keep him safe.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 06:57:19 PM PDT

•  bullshit, eXtina. I didn't have any firearms when (0+ / 0-)

the rental vehicle four of us traveling on state business in Dallas had burglarized. I wasn't "left alone" because I didn't have a firearm. No irony involved.

Thieves steal.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 07:16:47 PM PDT

•  I live a couple of miles from Clark Aposhian, and (1+ / 0-)
          eXtina

neither he nor I would have been thinking about an undue risk of crime where he lives. A normal one, yes, but not an undue one.

But why not take at least normal precautions, if nothing else, for the sake of the rest of us? I mean, I don't even leave a GPS showing, let alone a "gun case"? My god, when folks become so used to packing that they don't even think twice about, they put everyone in greater risk.

And asshole boy has fucking guns just laying around in his garage waiting to be cleaned up? If he doesn't deserve a "criminal negligence" charge, who does?

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 10:19:12 PM PDT

•  you lack reading comprehension skill (0+ / 0-)

the original post said "his gun advocacy made him a theft target"

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 05:58:08 AM PDT

•  what part of "if you dont' have a thermal scope (0+ / 0-)

ar 15, you won't ever have it stolen" don't you understand?

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 06:12:11 AM PDT

•  so just 'cause you think he shouldn't have it (0+ / 0-)

at all, that makes a thief stealing it ok?

Right.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:16:25 AM PDT

•  logical fallacy, zero reading comprehension nt (0+ / 0-)

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:21:35 AM PDT

•  because I disagree with you? (0+ / 0-)

You diagnose a reading comprehension issue. Problem is that's not what's going on here. I refuse to kowtow to anti-gun bullies, even when they resort to personal insults.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:31:28 AM PDT

•  I never said it was okay to steal a gun (0+ / 0-)

for starters
                  yet somehow you're basing your argument on that

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

• Science (28)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Education (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site