View Diary: Chiggers: WTF Are they? And What do You do About Them? (305 comments)

•  They used to not be found west of the Caprock (14+ / 0-)

in West Texas, but now that we don't have real winters anymore, you can find the damn things in Palo Duro Canyon.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 03:20:30 PM PDT

•  Patagonia Lake, Arizona, just north of Nogales. (14+ / 0-)

The classic fishing from the tall grass on the shore.

Just don't.

"We refuse to fight in a war started by men who refused to fight in a war." -freewayblogger

by Bisbonian on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 03:31:22 PM PDT

•  I sense I story here.... n/t (6+ / 0-)

_"Love is the rosebud of an hour; Friendship the everlasting flower."_ Brook Boothby

by Keith930 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 04:04:00 PM PDT

•  Yes, but no different from what the diarist (10+ / 0-)

has already told.  Being a southern California boy living in neighboring southern Arizona, I had NO IDEA what chiggers were, or why my legs looked just like the ones in the picture...and why they itched so incredibly painfully.  My east-Texan (ex) wife had to explain it to me.  Except it wasn't eggs, but larvae they left behind.

Naturally, I didn't believe her.  But we read all sorts of weird explanations, some true, some colorful, on the internets.  And we found some sort of anti-bug-itch stuff that had calamine lotion in it, etc., and in a week or so, I was normal again.  She had been standing in the same tall grass, apparently immune.

Most of the welts were right around the elastic band at the top of my socks.  None of them bothered to climb above my knees, thankfully.

by Bisbonian on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 05:58:02 PM PDT

•  There technically are chiggers in CA but (3+ / 0-)
            Bisbonian, RiveroftheWest, aitchdee

they're of a species that doesn't create drastic sores, and  they're not really common.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 06:10:58 PM PDT

•  I get them in Santa Barbara (7+ / 0-)

but they may be harvest mites, the one I managed to see and trap on tape and took to the vet....she said she had never seen anything like it, and no reason to think it actually was one of what bites and makes bite marks just like the photos here, in dry grass especially.

I have to shed clothes and bath outside and not bring anything in that has been outside in the weeds...cats: out.  rats: definitely out.

we had an invasion of Racoons and rats  in the yard and the next year and we..well, I the mite magnet, had these bites ever since. Ms Bee brings them in but they don't bite her, just ride on her clothes to get to me.

My sister's cats bring them into her house as well, nine miles away, next to a grassy hillside.

The thing I saw was transparent and I think that looked like a Harvest mite....like a clear Chigger.

But the bites, instant allergic reaction, 1-3" diameter area red, itch immediately, and when healing look like a little red volcano with a round scab on top.

Shaking out furniture covers...ok, sheets used as covers, helped, as did a household Pyrethrin  spray followed by vacuuming, and brushing off religiously, shaking out clothes..ok, naked in the yard, so what! you want some of this, well do ya?..:>..scritchscritch...as soon as it gets in the mid 40's they are gone.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 07:53:00 PM PDT