View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Three cheers for a bank that needed no bailing out (71 comments)

•  I think the premise of your argument (0+ / 0-)

re: abortion restricted passed post-Roe does not necessarily support your claim. What they and maybe I would argue is that you see this type of hostile reaction because Roe short-circuited the democratic deliberations on abortion rights that were percolating in the early 1970's and engendered hostility. And it of course contributed to political polarization as both parties were heterdox on abortion :The Kennedys were-pro-life , but the Bushes and Goldwaters were pro-choice, but such factions have disappeared post-Roe.

And you can specifically argue that the circumstances surrounding Roe and Casey created hyberbolic and coarsened discourse. Although in the case of Mississippi it is obvious they want to regulate abortion out of existence there are many-common sense restrictions on abortion such as partial-birth abortion and parental notification laws that are perfectly reasonable with the proper safeguards. However, when such matters come up reasonable discourse is rarely found. Any restriction on abortion becomes the end of Roe v. Wade as we know it and extreme Republicans make loathsome comments about abortion/rape and push ridiculous things like the human life amendment as a tool to pander to their base.

Throughout my entire public career I have followed the personal philosophy that I am a free man, an American, a public servant, and a member of my party, in that order always and only." -- LBJ

by moderatemajority on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 12:38:05 AM PDT

•  I am an extremist on abortion and I do not... (6+ / 0-)

...apologize for it. The woman always comes first. The fetus is secondary until it draws breath. Period.

We know that late-term abortions are rare and undertaken in circumstances of great anguish, not casually. Nobody wants one. But banning them? Another example of lawmakers saying they know better than women and their physicians. (And please, I can have a civil conversation about differences in this matter, but not when I have to cringe through right-wing tropes like "partial-birth.")

Parental notification laws are fraught with problems and ought only to exist if easily granted, well-known exceptions are possible without the minor child exposing herself to potential abuse. Parental consent laws, on the other hand, should not exist for abortion (with requirements for consent from both parents being the first target for repeal).

The state should cover the cost of all abortions, elective or medically necessary, in the cases of anyone not able to pay, which means getting Congress to stop renewing the Hyde Amendment every year so that Medicaid will be freed from its forced-birther shackles.

by Meteor Blades on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 12:57:46 AM PDT

•  That you support a law does not make it reasonable (1+ / 0-)
      Urban Owl

or mean that it's got anything to do with "common sense".

The false middle isn't the high ground.  It's the home of the Free Soiler and the "Separate but equal" and "Civil Unions but not Marriage" crowd.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 01:32:20 AM PDT

•  It's also (0+ / 0-)

the home of the Bipartisan Containment Policy that beat back Communism, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Welfare Reform of 1996, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Clean Air Act, and I think you get the point :)

by moderatemajority on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 01:44:39 AM PDT

•  You are proud of No Gun Ri and Operation Condor (0+ / 0-)

and the Phoenix Program?

You're proud of having supported the Taliban?

That's "the Bipartisan Containment Policy".

by JesseCW on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 02:03:03 AM PDT

•  i am going to decline responding to your posts (0+ / 0-)

for a while.  I enjoy spirited debates, but don't see the point in pissing matches. I think you crossed that rubicon when in earlier post you said

"You already know what you can do with your (0+ / 0-)
            "condolences"."

Enjoy the rest of your night or the rest of your day depending on your sleeping patterns, sir.

by moderatemajority on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 02:09:49 AM PDT