View Diary: Mixed Fabrics: My Bigotry, Unspun (78 comments)

•  I don't understand the mania for polyester (8+ / 0-)

I feel like I'm being smothered if I wear even poly-blends.

Don't people know polyester is made from petroleum?  As in oil...?  No wonder it's a fabric that doesn't "breathe" and makes one feel like one is suffocating!  It also holds in all the sweat.  I don't give a flying fart what the "wicks moisture away" polyester netting clothing says, it doesn't 'wick away' sweat.  It keeps it next to one's skin.  Ugh.

(Well, okay.  I admit.  I'm probably allergic to polyester, too.  It smells horrendous to my sensitive nose and I have multiple allergies.  But, it's also true that whether clothing or sheets or bedspreads, if it contains polyester, I feel like I'm being suffocated.)

Almost all of my clothing is either 100% cotton, 100% silk (exception is the blend of the outside shell of my winter coat) - perfectly washable in hot water, dry hot, and able to be ironed at a cotton setting - the 'dry cleaning recommended' (in toxic chemicals, no less) for silk is because for colored silk the dyes are usually unstable and they bleed.  Of course water won't harm silk; silkworms make their cocoons in trees in the great outdoors and are exposed to rain.  No problem washing silk in water.  Care must be taken when sorting clothing and either wash colored silk items separately or with other items of the same color.  For white or cream-colored silks, wash with white cotton items in hot water.

I love, love, love the feel of raw silk!  What a Chinese person told me about raw silk is true:  The more often it's washed, the softer the feel of raw silk.  It's also great to sew with.  I have some things I made of raw silk in the '80s that still looks brand new.  One red nightgown of regular shimmering silk that I made within a couple of months of the raw silk suit still bleeds red when I wash it, so I either hand wash it or wash it with other red items (yup, unstable dyes, but the thing is still dark red so it hasn't even faded).

Aside from the ironing (which one mostly doesn't need to do except for touch-ups if one hangs things up immediately out of the dryer), I don't see why everyone doesn't wear all cotton or all silk (or cotton-silk blends; I have a great silk-cotton sweater that's just dreamy).

I especially feel sorry for babies when their mothers and fathers put them in poly or poly-blend onesies or sleepers and cover them with poly or poly-blend blankets because of a stupid "flame retardant" tag.  When it burns, polyester melts onto the skin, sticks there, and rips skin off..., and the fumes from polyester (and certain couch/chair stuffing) is toxic to breathe.  Under ideal conditions of survivability, cotton burns away and doesn't leave the heavy-duty scars that a polyester burn does (if the person burned survives the toxic polyester fumes).  Of all clothing, the littlest beings should never, ever wear polyester or poly-blends.

:o) Good use of snark, but let's not forget the reality of polyester:  it's an oil-based product, so using or wearing polyester just makes oil corporations richer (and it's not good for our general health)....

by NonnyO on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:18:23 AM PDT

•  Purity troll! (6+ / 0-)

;-)

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:49:32 AM PDT

•  ;-) Guilty! (5+ / 0-)

All due apologies.  I just can't stand the idea of little voiceless babies and children having to endure polyester next to their sensitive skin, and smelly and toxic fabrics such as carpeting (another toxic petroleum product and the adhesives produce carcinogenic and toxic fumes that are respiratory irritants).  Makes me want to cry (yes, for real).

I get the joke about mixed fabrics and appreciate it tremendously..., but I'm also old and forever empathetic to the voiceless little ones.

by NonnyO on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 12:46:58 PM PDT

•  Silk-cotton? (7+ / 0-)

That does it. Off to hell with you.

Srsly, polyester does "suffocate" you, and it makes you sweat. I spent 30 years in the textile industry, and I know this. I'm not allergic, but I avoid all poly next to my skin. Bedclothes are also all-cotton - that's one of the places where you find poly/cotton most often.

by sidnora on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 12:55:02 PM PDT

•  I'm with ya... (6+ / 0-)

Silk rocks!  Warm when you want it, breathable, cool when you need it to be and always looks good...in all it's various incarnations from raw to charmeuse...

Back in my days in military flying we were told NOT to wear polyester or poly/cotton T-shirts, briefs/boxers or socks because if you were unlucky enough to be in a burning aircraft your undergarments would land you in the premier military burn unit which used to be at the Brooks (Army?) Medical Center in Texas for a very extended stay.  There was even a training video that showed a guy with burns that were complicated by his choice of undergarments...they were deadly serious about making sure that cotton went next to your skin under your flight suit, and for good reason.

I suspect that had I worn silk boxers back in the day, I'd have been 'splainin' to the Naval Investigative Service that I really did like girls, honest.

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism. -Carl Sagan

by jo fish on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 01:20:52 PM PDT

•  Nurses, too.... (3+ / 0-)
        chemborg, howabout, blueoasis

100% cotton.  I have a cousin who is/was a nurse, and a niece who is a nurse.

Polyester and poly-blends carry a fire danger of sparking static electricity in dry winter air, which is not a pretty idea for a surgical room or a neo-natal unit with huge amounts of pure oxygen, (stinky plastic) oxygen hoses that direct oxygen straight into one's nose (imagine inhaling toxic flames).  Et cetera.  I never understood the reasoning behind poly slippers with non-skid bottoms.  They feel awful.  I bring my own (98% cotton 2% spandex around the ankles) footies to the hospital.

Years ago one winter I got out of bed (wearing a long 100% cotton flannel nightgown), put my synthetic floofy slippers on and, while half asleep, slouched tiredly, half-sliding my feet on the carpet (another old polyester fabric) to turn on my PC.  My hand touched my Wacom Tablet and shorted it out!  Cost me $100 to replace it, and I'm damned lucky the spark wasn't strong enough to go straight through the wiring to the hard drive.  It was an expensive lesson learned.

Thereafter I sprayed [horridly stinky, icky, awful-smelling] static guard on the floor in front of the PC desk every fall and that mostly got me through the winter with low static electricity..., and I always, always, always touched something else before touching my PC desk or the computer parts.

I know darn good and well the info about polyester melting on skin and ripping off skin, and synthetic furniture & stuffing being an extreme fire hazard - and very, very, very toxic, as in deadly to breathe - is "out there."  I've seen it on the news off and on for years, and it's online.

What's amazing to me is that no one pays attention to it before disaster strikes and some of the worst-case scenarios could be avoided when disaster does happen to people who should know better.

If people would heed the warnings and just not buy the hazardous clothing, the fucking corporations would be forced to make cotton or silk or cotton-silk or cotton-linen (w/flax the base, people allergic to flax probably couldn't use linen - used to be a fabric called ramie which is made from an Asian nettle plant and I can't use it; gives me an instant rash, and I'm allergic to the relative plant, the stinging nettle).

Natural fibers are a thousand percent better than oily and stinky polyester any old day.

by NonnyO on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 02:27:39 PM PDT

•  Oh, BTW... (3+ / 0-)
        chemborg, jan4insight, blueoasis

... Land's End has silk underwear for both women and men.  I used to wear upper and lower silk undies in the winter....!  :-)

98 silk items of all kinds for women, men, and even a few for kids.  Socks, neckties, scarves, glove liners, sweaters, shirts....

by NonnyO on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 02:48:40 PM PDT

•  Except for one thing: cotton uses more pesticides (1+ / 0-)
      chemborg

per acre to grow than any other commercial crop.

No free lunch here ... ;)

End of Winter SALE at my Handmade Gallery on Zibbet - 25%off winter scarves, afghans, holiday items!

by jan4insight on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:35:48 AM PDT