View Diary: How the 90% Is Getting Something for Nothing: Wage Slavery (183 comments)

•  It could happen. (7+ / 0-)

But we either need our neoliberals to actually side with us, in full force, or we need to focus on our own strategy and basically divorce the mainstream culture and economy, pull its funding, to starve the plutocracy. And hammer D.C. unrelentingly in irresistible masses.

What's the point of letting neoliberals into the tent when neoliberalism is burning down the campground?

by Words In Action on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:04:37 AM PDT

•  Yes, I think it could and has to.. (5+ / 0-)

if we are to solve our problems..

I do see signs. For example, there's a lot more support for a living minimum wage than there was 10 years ago. I see a lot more articles by people supporting an increase not to just $9, but $10-$12...

As a member of Courtesy Kos, I am dedicated to civility and respect for all kossacks, regardless of their opinions, affiliations, or cliques.

by joedemocrat on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:10:21 AM PDT

•  Yes, I would be more optimistic (6+ / 0-)

if there were more people actually outraged that it isn't.

People should be boiling mad about it, IMHO.

by Words In Action on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:13:41 AM PDT

•  A real living wage would have to be... (4+ / 0-)

something like 20 per hour. With paid health care for the entire family. In other words, more than double than it is now. People need enough to buy a house, buy education, enough to stay out of another form of slavery, which is debt slavery. Even 20 per hour is probably not enough.

And ending wage slavery isn't simply increasing wages. It is allowing worker control and self management.

This is where run-of-the-mill authoritarian/statist socialists and anarcho-socialists differ: Anarchiosts believe we must not only share the wealth, but share power and management.

Anything less than that is still slavery. There are countless examples of the way the lives of employees (servants to the owner class) are owned by the elites. Its far more than money issues, but gets into such issues as being forced to live in areas of the employers choosing, how personal time is spent, censorship of political voice, suppression of free association, micro management of employees time, invasion of privacy with blood testing, monitoring internet expression, spying on personal finances through credit and background checks, spying on arrest records (which may reveal activism and civil disobedience), pressure to conform in religion and other social rituals, regulating manner of dress, how you wear your hair, and on and on...

And some people call this freedom.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:50:39 AM PDT

•  And I've just scratched the surface. (7+ / 0-)

Worse than all of this is the way workers are treated as if automatons, with hierarchical suppression of personal development and capabilities. They are kept in a state of dependency, or the illusion of it. Many workers have talents that never get realized and experienced, since upper level elites have a self interest in keeping them down, in their place.

There is also the lack of job security. Employers can terminate wage employees at anytime, with no notice in most cases. They can decrease hours, switch them to different shifts, rearrange schedules, make them work weekends, holidays, demote them, transfer them.

But the worst is the sudden lay-off or termination, that casts the employee into very real threat of bankruptcy, losing possession of homes, cars, property. Hopeless levels of debt accumulate, often not paid off for a lifetime (another form of slavery to the elites).

The lack of equality is also quite glaring. Donald Trump can file for bankruptcy, and he trumpets the event as if a sage act on his part, while the lowly employee is stigmatized with blacklisting and is thus impoverished for years. Employers maintain dossiers (credit reports) on employees, and even may not hire the job seeker with bad credit, permanently keeping the person in a vicious circle of homelessness and poverty.

My own employer (chairman of the board) filed for personal bankruptcy, and yet he discriminates against consumers if they have bad credit. Different rules apply to the elites. Employees are punished and go to jail for mere misdemeanors, while employers can commit felonies (wholesale fraud) and are given a bonus and a promotion or a bailout.

Education? Forget it, it has become too expensive to go back to school. Lack of public funding and various student loan financial schemes have made getting an education a bog of quicksand one may never escape from. I'm currently delinquent in student loans, and this has cascaded into other debts I can't pay, ruining my credit and causing me to face looming bankruptcy.

Police exist in large part to enforce property rights of the elites. If a bank window is broken by protesters, the police will raid and arrest suspects, as well as harass and brutalize, but if I am personally damaged in some way by an employer, justice is slow in forthcoming, if at all. And who can afford lawyers? Employees are relegated to the least skilled legal aid, while the employers have not only the police (another servant class) but also often have cadres of lawyers at their beck and call.

I could go on and on. This is not at all a state of freedom and equality for most of the working class.

And I am still just scratching the surface.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 01:24:21 PM PDT

•  Re (0+ / 0-)
          Many, many jobs are going to be automated away if humanly possible in that circumstance.
          Carla Hesseltine is considering buying a few tablet devices for her bakery so customers can place orders for her signature M&M cupcakes on their own, straight from the counter.

The reason: She fears the $7.25 an hour that she currently pays her 10 customer-service employees, mostly college students, could rise, perhaps to $9 an hour under a pledge by President Barack Obama earlier this month.

In order for her Just Cupcakes LLC to remain profitable in the face of higher expected labor costs, Ms. Hesseltine believes the customer-ordering process "would have to be more automated" at the Virginia Beach, Va., chain, which has two strip-mall locations as well as a food van. Thus, she could eliminate the 10 workers who currently ask customers what they would like to eat.

Businesses will furiously invest in automation technology at a rate never before seen in the history of man. Everyone will do it: places like Burger King, this cupcake place, Target, supermarkets, you name it. Getting rid of human workers will be priority #1 and businesses will get very creative about it.

So, people like automation and software vendors will do well, but those people already make good money. Low skill workers won't be able to get a job at $7.25, $9, $20, or any other wage since the few people still working at $20 will be terrified of losing their job to the hordes of unemployed.

In order to pay $20/hr, a business needs a job done that's worth more than $20/hr to them.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
          Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 03:24:45 PM PDT

•  They will be automated away anyway. (3+ / 0-)
            Klusterpuck, joedemocrat, ZhenRen

And who's going to prepare for that eventuality? The neoliberals? Hardly.

With higher wages, a flatter compensation pyramid, and muscular trade policy and enforcement to prevent labor and environmental exploitation, we'd have an economy that would boom.

There's no point having $7.25/.hour jobs, for anyone. Nobody can live on that. So then we have to subsidize those jobs through government.

by Words In Action on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 03:58:24 PM PDT

•  So... (3+ / 0-)

That's why workers need to take control of Labor, occupy the workplace, equally and democratically  share the fruits of production, and send Ayn Randian libertarians off to... whichever regime will take them.

Automation is fine. Guess who created these machines? And guess who should enjoy the leisure time these machines create?

You're stuck in an outdated, elitist paradigm that serves the ruling class.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 05:09:57 PM PDT

•  is your boss a member of the ruling class? (1+ / 0-)
              Sparhawk

I've yet to meet one of them after 20+ years in the labor market.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:38:39 PM PDT

•  yes (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

My boss is worth about 20 million or more.

And he treats me as if I'm an ant, despite the fact I am wayyyyy more educated than he is. He uses me as if I'm an inanimate asset he owns.

What's your net worth?

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:04:11 PM PDT

•  My networth is irrelevant to this conversation. (1+ / 0-)
                  Sparhawk

And so the net worth of your boss but you seem convinced that because your education he should be asking you for advice.

Why aren't you the boss?

Maybe, you should just tell him how to properly run his business.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:20:57 PM PDT

•  Your net worth (1+ / 0-)
                    Klusterpuck

would inform me of your economic interests in capitalist society, and thus would give me useful information as to your status. It is highly relevant. And you don't get to dictate what sort of information is useful to me. You aren't in control here.

The net worth of my boss is, for the same reasons, highly relevant. Enormous wealth provides privilege. That is undeniable in capitalism if you've been paying attention. I've known many wealthy persons. There are recognizable patterns of behavior that are perceptible.

As to your question:

Why aren't you the boss?

Maybe, you should just tell him how to properly run his business.

My, the overtones of social Darwinism that laces this query. I'm not the boss because I've chosen a different path in life. But I could do my employers job far better than he, at this juncture. I simply don't like this form of exploitation, and thus have gone a different way.

Implicit from your remark is he is one of those "job creators" we've all insufferable heard about from right wingers. And yet, without people like me he wouldn't be able to organize his enterprise. We, his staff, make him successful. Without us, he would not succeed. It is only due to private property that he can dominate the rest of us. He is a fool, but his ambition has driven him forward in an industry in which once one has a bit of wealth, it can be easily expanded. I've once been in his shoes, and I decided it wasn't for me.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:36:56 PM PDT

•  " I've chosen a different path in life" (0+ / 0-)

That's your choice and maybe one day you'll be the the person everybody calls Boss but until then you should butt out of their affairs, unless specifically asked.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:29:59 PM PDT

•  I've been the boss... (1+ / 0-)
                        Klusterpuck

It didn't conform to my principles.

Being a boss is inherently exploitative, due to owning the means of production. It is one of the most selfish, authoritarian acts I've ever committed.

And no one has some sort of inherent right to have dominion over others.

Tell me, who made exploitation a human right?

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:34:01 PM PDT

•  I had an employee leave this week (1+ / 0-)
                          Sparhawk

zero notice.  Should I sue them because obviously they were so valuable to my business but I just couldn't see through the fog of exploitation?

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:02:55 AM PDT

•  What makes you think... (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

you are owed anything at all from the employee? Have you ever fired an employee without notice? The employee effectively fired you as a boss. But you most likely have far more wealth than the employee who worked as you wage slave.

Why should the employee consider your pain?

I'm curious: How much was the employee paid?

Are you actually thinking that the relationship was equal? Really?

I've had a glass of two of champagne, so I'm in a good mood, by the way. ;)

Heh.

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:12:12 AM PDT

•  "Why should the employee consider your pain?" (0+ / 0-)

Why should I consider theirs?

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:27:12 AM PDT

•  Why should workers (1+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action

(the vast majority) put up with you at all?

If they all rose up, as they have in other periods of history, and decided you were expendable (which you clearly are) you might end up sweeping the floor of your enterprise, or at least making an equal wage, as part of the team.

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:33:52 AM PDT

•  You know... (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

It wouldn't be so bad for you if this happened, depending on how much you make.

During the Spanish Civil War, where anarcho-socialists took control of large regions of Spain, some business owners actually experienced improvements in their lives.

Ya never know... it could be good for you. Less stress.

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:44:31 AM PDT

•  Soros, you obviously don't (1+ / 0-)
                            Klusterpuck

consider employee's pain?

But someone has to, unless you prefer living in a world of misery. Maybe you do.

The only question is whether you are going to be a force for making something positive or negative out of capitalism. Nihilists can't make anything positive.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:14:10 AM PDT

•  champagne? (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

maybe you watched the Shockers advance to the Final 4?

Thank you very much.

•  Oh fuck... (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

I am one of those strange souls who knows nothing about sports. LOL!

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:35:43 AM PDT

•  very good (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

knowing your champagne is really all that matters

•  Now that... (2+ / 0-)
                            Words In Action, Klusterpuck

is the best thing I've heard all day!

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:39:18 AM PDT

•  Obviously you didn't have a very good rapport. (1+ / 0-)
                            Klusterpuck

In all my years of business with literally over a thousand employees, I didn't have more than a handful like that.

I always talked to them up front, said, "look, I understand people change their minds about jobs. If you get to the point you feel you need, don't just disappear. Talk to me and we'll work something out so you can look for a job and I can prepare for your departure. That and developing a relationship based on trust pretty much always does it."

Let me guess, you always give them two weeks notice (and or a severance) when you let them go... Somehow, that doesn't sound like you.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:17:57 AM PDT

•  Private property (0+ / 0-)

puts my employer in a position to take economic and social advantage of other individuals by exploiting them with the power derived from his control of assets.

It is not due to some vast ability he has that others lack, but rather the power of owning the means of production.

No one should be able to control the rest of us simply due to exclusive domination of assets.

That is akin to asking the "owner" of a well for a glass of water, after crawling through a desert for miles in blistering sunlight, only to come to an oasis, habituated by a person who has taken possession of a natural spring, who demands the thirsty traveler to become a slave for the rest of his useful life, if he wants to survive.

Who decides who owns what? Basically, outside of a collective community or family, it is the one with the greatest degree of strength. I say "outside of a collective community" because only strangers tend to treat other strangers with such callous indifference. Capitalism renders us all as strangers, "free" to exploit each other as if there is no mutual relationship between us beyond one of power and greed.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:20:59 PM PDT

•  You think you live in a meritocracy? (1+ / 0-)
                    Klusterpuck

You hiding behind that one?

Look, I spent 15 years as a corporate executive and another 10 as a small business owner. I've seen it all. I've seen all you people who think you've earned and deserve everything you can take. Well, very few of you do.

Let me spend a couple of days, people with whom you've worked, employees, customers,  and going over your books, and I will lay out an ironclad case that demonstrates that you didn't build it, Mitt. Not nearly as much as you are prepared to credit for.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:26:37 AM PDT

•  By the way... (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

Most employers are by definition the ruling class if they can hire and fire wage employees.

They have authority over other individuals, and are in a position to inflict severe economic control and thus economic damage to workers. The have the power to ruin lives. Thus, they rule over worker's lives. That is a fact, no matter how much money employers make, or don't make. It is the nature of the beast.

If you haven't met them, then you don't understand the nature of the labor market, and don't perceive the power of the owner class, or... you are somehow insulated from experiencing this.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:14:25 PM PDT

•  Then you obviously don't friends in (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

high places.

I've worked with them and I've had them as customers. Either way, you do it long enough, you'll see the worst humanity has to offer. The stories are true.

Jamie Dimon amd Lloyd Blankenfeld are not anomalies.

These are people who not only want your last dime, but would just as soon have you working exactly as they did back in those Dickens' novels. How do I know? That's exactly what they do when they can in some part of the world they think know one is watching.

And these are the people you not only defend and protect, these are the people you emulate.

That's why I say: we have nothing in common. We as party cannot achieve the goals set down in the party platform with people like you propping up supply-side economics, vulture capitalism and disaster capitalism at every turn.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:22:28 AM PDT

•  No one cares (0+ / 0-)

You can 'take control of labor' all you want.

They will invent a machine to replace laborers and then do so.

So... supermarket checkout cashiers design and manufacture self checkout machines? Who knew?

The people automated out of a job are never the machine designers, who pretty much just go on to automate something else afterwards.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:30:28 PM PDT

•  You may not realize this... (2+ / 0-)
                Words In Action, Klusterpuck

but engineers are part of the working class.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:38:07 PM PDT

•  And those designs (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

are made using the efforts of countless other developments, made by countless other individuals through history. Why should a step forward belong to a few private individuals?

There is no way to measure the contributions of society to make possible that one small step forward in technology. No one creates anything in a vacuum, all due to one's own efforts.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:41:22 PM PDT

•  Re (0+ / 0-)
                  All of whom were compensated for their individual contributions when they made them.
                  Why should a step forward belong to a few private individuals?
                  Because they took the step, and other people didn't.

Besides, everyone benefits from better technology in the form of lower prices and improvements.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:14:48 PM PDT

•  Exhibit F: the 'deification of money' fallacy (0+ / 0-)
                    I'm guessing you like 'work for hire' laws, where anything you do at all belongs to your employer because you're employed by them.  After all, they're being compensated by their regular paychecks - no need to even discuss how much more you'll make off of them by appropriating their so-called private efforts, right?  I mean, they got paid, so we're all square!

Right?

I am a leaf on the wind - i hover, twirl, float,
                    Weightless, frictionless, I fly

by chmood on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 10:53:54 AM PDT

•  The point is whether or you are (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

involved in making something positive or negative out of that situation.

Capitalism is nihilistic.

If we want to make sure we don't have a world of suffering and misery, at least some of us have to come up with a way to avoid that.

Because I know, from my experience as both a corporate executive and as a small business owner, it's all too easy to ignore the people involved and just focus on the numbers, which is exactly what most people in those positions wind up doing.

So which side are on you on?

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:10:13 AM PDT

•  I was just introduced to this recently (1+ / 0-)
            Sparhawk

At a Jack-in-the-Box in California..  there's a little ATM like terminal sitting next to the counter.   Just walk up, totally touch screen operated.. punch in your order with coupon codes if applicable and they cook your order without any human interraction.

I don't know if this is at every JinB franchise but it was very convenient not having to deal with a person behind the counter.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:36:51 PM PDT

•  And that's going to happen no matter what. (1+ / 0-)
              Klusterpuck

Labor expenses are always going to be minimized.

The question is whether you are going to do something positive or negative with that. Because the neoliberals aren't going to think about anything but their own bottom line.

That's one of the problems with pure capitalism that we as a society to need address.

Unless you want to climb over homeless people every where you go. Perhaps you do.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:06:54 AM PDT

•  The key to the problem right there (0+ / 0-)
                Labor expenses are always going to be minimized.
                Maybe one day that will be one of the line-item failings of capitalism @ Wikipedia, but as long as we continue to consider all economic questions, answers and circumstances from the perspective of the capitalist, that quote means that people will die under the illusion that fairness and justice have been served.
                Labor expenses are always going to be minimized.
                conceals the fact that capitalists kill people as indifferently as homeowners kill roaches.  People CANNOT matter if capital is to be preserved and "given its due".

Money and power are their own value system, and not a value system like is taught in any real society on earth.  These are, it seems, the values of the ruling class itself.  Everyone else exists to be used or disposed of.  There is no appeal;  requesting one is insulting.  If you have the upper hand, use it - ruthlessly - and if you don't, negotiate what you can and bide your time.

Indeed, it's "people's" fault if they've allowed themselves to be injured by the singularly self-interested pursuits of others.  They should have made "better choices".

The rush into the New Feudalism has picked up alarming speed.

I am a leaf on the wind - i hover, twirl, float,