View Diary: How the 90% Is Getting Something for Nothing: Wage Slavery (183 comments)

•  yes (1+ / 0-)
    Klusterpuck

My boss is worth about 20 million or more.

And he treats me as if I'm an ant, despite the fact I am wayyyyy more educated than he is. He uses me as if I'm an inanimate asset he owns.

What's your net worth?

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:04:11 PM PDT

•  My networth is irrelevant to this conversation. (1+ / 0-)
      Sparhawk

And so the net worth of your boss but you seem convinced that because your education he should be asking you for advice.

Why aren't you the boss?

Maybe, you should just tell him how to properly run his business.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:20:57 PM PDT

•  Your net worth (1+ / 0-)
        Klusterpuck

would inform me of your economic interests in capitalist society, and thus would give me useful information as to your status. It is highly relevant. And you don't get to dictate what sort of information is useful to me. You aren't in control here.

The net worth of my boss is, for the same reasons, highly relevant. Enormous wealth provides privilege. That is undeniable in capitalism if you've been paying attention. I've known many wealthy persons. There are recognizable patterns of behavior that are perceptible.

As to your question:

Why aren't you the boss?

Maybe, you should just tell him how to properly run his business.

My, the overtones of social Darwinism that laces this query. I'm not the boss because I've chosen a different path in life. But I could do my employers job far better than he, at this juncture. I simply don't like this form of exploitation, and thus have gone a different way.

Implicit from your remark is he is one of those "job creators" we've all insufferable heard about from right wingers. And yet, without people like me he wouldn't be able to organize his enterprise. We, his staff, make him successful. Without us, he would not succeed. It is only due to private property that he can dominate the rest of us. He is a fool, but his ambition has driven him forward in an industry in which once one has a bit of wealth, it can be easily expanded. I've once been in his shoes, and I decided it wasn't for me.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 10:36:56 PM PDT

•  " I've chosen a different path in life" (0+ / 0-)

That's your choice and maybe one day you'll be the the person everybody calls Boss but until then you should butt out of their affairs, unless specifically asked.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:29:59 PM PDT

•  I've been the boss... (1+ / 0-)
            Klusterpuck

It didn't conform to my principles.

Being a boss is inherently exploitative, due to owning the means of production. It is one of the most selfish, authoritarian acts I've ever committed.

And no one has some sort of inherent right to have dominion over others.

Tell me, who made exploitation a human right?

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:34:01 PM PDT

•  I had an employee leave this week (1+ / 0-)
              Sparhawk

zero notice.  Should I sue them because obviously they were so valuable to my business but I just couldn't see through the fog of exploitation?

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:02:55 AM PDT

•  What makes you think... (2+ / 0-)
                Words In Action, Klusterpuck

you are owed anything at all from the employee? Have you ever fired an employee without notice? The employee effectively fired you as a boss. But you most likely have far more wealth than the employee who worked as you wage slave.

Why should the employee consider your pain?

I'm curious: How much was the employee paid?

Are you actually thinking that the relationship was equal? Really?

I've had a glass of two of champagne, so I'm in a good mood, by the way. ;)

Heh.

by ZhenRen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:12:12 AM PDT

•  Obviously you didn't have a very good rapport. (1+ / 0-)
                Klusterpuck

In all my years of business with literally over a thousand employees, I didn't have more than a handful like that.

I always talked to them up front, said, "look, I understand people change their minds about jobs. If you get to the point you feel you need, don't just disappear. Talk to me and we'll work something out so you can look for a job and I can prepare for your departure. That and developing a relationship based on trust pretty much always does it."

Let me guess, you always give them two weeks notice (and or a severance) when you let them go... Somehow, that doesn't sound like you.

What's the point of letting neoliberals into the tent when neoliberalism is burning down the campground?

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:17:57 AM PDT

•  Private property (0+ / 0-)

puts my employer in a position to take economic and social advantage of other individuals by exploiting them with the power derived from his control of assets.

It is not due to some vast ability he has that others lack, but rather the power of owning the means of production.

No one should be able to control the rest of us simply due to exclusive domination of assets.

That is akin to asking the "owner" of a well for a glass of water, after crawling through a desert for miles in blistering sunlight, only to come to an oasis, habituated by a person who has taken possession of a natural spring, who demands the thirsty traveler to become a slave for the rest of his useful life, if he wants to survive.

Who decides who owns what? Basically, outside of a collective community or family, it is the one with the greatest degree of strength. I say "outside of a collective community" because only strangers tend to treat other strangers with such callous indifference. Capitalism renders us all as strangers, "free" to exploit each other as if there is no mutual relationship between us beyond one of power and greed.

by ZhenRen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:20:59 PM PDT

•  You think you live in a meritocracy? (1+ / 0-)
        Klusterpuck

You hiding behind that one?

Look, I spent 15 years as a corporate executive and another 10 as a small business owner. I've seen it all. I've seen all you people who think you've earned and deserve everything you can take. Well, very few of you do.

Let me spend a couple of days, people with whom you've worked, employees, customers,  and going over your books, and I will lay out an ironclad case that demonstrates that you didn't build it, Mitt. Not nearly as much as you are prepared to credit for.

by Words In Action on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:26:37 AM PDT