View Diary: Kerry releases records (449 comments)

•  Nope (none)
    "[T]hat quote from hillary is the most memorable and repeated thing she's ever said, making it the most effective"

If you mean effective at making her look bad in the short term, you're right.  Fortunately, she's been able to get past it, largely because people felt sorry for her due to her husband's philandering.

BTW, didn't she make that statement after he'd already won his second term?  Whatever, it had nothing to do with his defeating the hapless Dole.

But then you're much better at using your imagination than your memory.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean Paul Sartre, Huis Clos

by JJB on Tue Jun 07, 2005 at 08:53:10 AM PDT

•  JJB... (none)
      you're right...she said it in 1998.  I still maintain that Clinton's fight back style (sans Shrum) works better.  Why was Dole "hapless"?
      Why was Kerry hapless?

What the hell would you have done to win this election then?

•  IMHO (none)
        That election was either unwinnable or not worth winning, and Kerry may well have thought that the latter was the case. All other factors aside, that ~50% of voters went for Bush in 2004 is a damning indictment of what our nation has fallen to over the last 30 years. If 9/11 had happened to Gore, the GOP-owned mass media would have crucified him and the GOP House would have impeached him, and the public would have gone along eagerly because they've been brainwashed to think that Democrats are weak (mainly, I believe, because they support women and minorities). I don't think a President Kerry could have done a damned thing to stop this until things get so bad that the media can't hide it any longer. This country is going to have to rebuild from scratch, if it doesn't just implode altogether.

"There are only murderers in this room" - John Rooney in The Road to Perdition

by jlb on Tue Jun 07, 2005 at 09:23:20 AM PDT

•  OK, Scarce (3.00)
          what eaxctly is marginal about this comment? There's no personal attack, there are statements of perceived fact that can be argued with if desired. Do you just not like the idea? If so, that doesn't make my comment marginal at all. You owe me either a reply rebutting what I said, which has been speculated about by many others, or a pass-over without a rating. I'm curious, honestly, why do you think this deserves a 2?

"There are only murderers in this room" - John Rooney in The Road to Perdition

by jlb on Tue Jun 07, 2005 at 09:57:49 AM PDT

•  I Did What I Could (4.00)
        Which I've detailed elsewhere.

I'm not pretending I have some magic formula that would have reversed the result, in fact, as I've twice stated that this election was unwinnable (something that is apparent only in retrospect).  As for why, all I can say is that one low-income neighborhood I canvassed was split more or less 50/50 as to Bush and Kerry voters, and with one exception, all the whites (none of whom could have had a combined household income of more than $40,000 a year) were for Bush.  The Kerry voters were black, Hispanic, and Asian.

Anybody from that economic strata who'd vote GOP is, frankly, nuts, and the idea that people like that were going to respond to anything Kerry had to say, however eloquently, is one I refuse to accept.  Sad to say, but this country needs one huge kick in the teeth before it comes to its senses.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean Paul Sartre, Huis Clos

by JJB on Tue Jun 07, 2005 at 01:39:01 PM PDT

•  dude... (none)
          I'm a Kerry voter and I'm white...83% of New yorkers voted for Kerry and they're white.  What you're maintaining is bordering on racism.  Just what the hell are you getting at?

Kerry lost cause he ran a shit campaign and pulled his punches where he should have punched hardest.  Who the demographic is that you think voted for him is irrelavent.

•  Bordering On Racism? (none)
            Your inability to conduct an intellectually based argument prior to this was obvious, now you've reduced yourself to the level of Limbaughesque troll.

Go to hell, and don't resond to any more of my comments unless you want troll ratings.  I'm serious.  You've crossed a line here, and I refuse to consider you as anything other than a bottomfeeding piece of scum.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean Paul Sartre, Huis Clos

by JJB on Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 05:31:23 AM PDT

•  Hillary (none)
      said that in February or March 1998, over a year after Bill beat Dole. If someone can't recall the context for that remark ...

"There are only murderers in this room" - John Rooney in The Road to Perdition